Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My bike just saved my life :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 19:04 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: My bike just saved my life :) Reply with quote

I just picked my bike up from the garage after it had been there for over a week being repaired.

anyway since i was so glad to be back on the bike i was giving a bit of stick. I was powering away from an island (2 lanes) i was in the overtaking lane and a car was infront about 10 meters or so in the left lane. All i a sudden the car decides he wants to be in my lane with no idication or anything! I had the throttle fully twisted around accelerating hard so there is no chance of braking in time, so im thinking SHIIIIIIITTTTTTT

guess what happens at that very second Smile

.... I run out of petrol! the engine cuts out and the bike slows down so fast i didnt even need to break. All i had to do was turn it onto reserve and off i went taking it slightly more carefully!

Me hugs and kisses my rs![/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody lucky mate!!

How's it handling now you got a tyre-shaped tyre on it Laughing

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 19:17 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

it feels sort of weird to be honest! like someone sad to me i most likely adjusted my riding style to compromise for the lack of rubber on the one side of the tyre! Because i had a flat spot i rekon it was like having stableisers or something Smile

Since the clutch cable has been replaced the biting point has moved quite dramatically so i have to let the clutch out alot futher before trying to accelerate.

Im happy to be back on the road Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 19:37 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is your tyre bald on one side your not one of those sad gits ho spnds their life rideing round roundabouts
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crazy Manx Man
The Fly Swatter

PostPosted: 19:41 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

fecking heck.......LUCKY ! DAMN LUCKY!! Shocked Shocked

I bet it was some adrenalin rush though?!?! Very Happy Very Happy Cool

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 19:53 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tyre was like it when i bought the bike so it was the other owner Smile
I have a new tyre fitted now tho.

And yeh it was some adrenalin rush Smile i thought i was gonna die Shocked I cant help but think that the bike gods were watching over me Cool

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 20:12 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god thats lucky.

Youd better make sure you keep up with your friendly biking gods association payments from now on! Very Happy

Hails

PostPosted: 20:19 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

hey darlin..... glad u aint dead or nuffin lol,,, means u can take me for another ride 1 day (kno what i mean lol Wink ) c u soon Luv Hails (aka ur bike slut)
You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:24 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your coat mate you've pulled...... Very Happy

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
errrr ure brakes will stop you faster than your engine will you idiot

luke

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 20:53 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know but i sort of froze Embarassed

I saw the car and thought feck... I was thinking 'what do i need to do' >untwist throttle and brake. Anyway i dont think i would have reacted quick enough.

And yes it would appear that i have pulled Wink I took her for a ride before christmas and now shes offereing to come round to buff up my muffler and all sorts! Twisted Evil

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:59 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie wrote:
I took her for a ride before christmas and now shes offereing to come round to buff up my muffler and all sorts! Twisted Evil

which is nice Laughing

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 21:00 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie wrote:
I took her for a ride before christmas and now shes offereing to come round to buff up my muffler and all sorts! Twisted Evil

which is nice Laughing she can clean my bike as well if she likes....... oh right Wink

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 22:37 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're about to plow into the back/side of a car and you don't know what to do? Maybe an RX50 is the way foward, something that cant go faster than a car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 22:41 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, those rx50's are good for about 55mph probably faster than a nissan micra Smile

bikes4life
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:46 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was damn lucky!

Mr Lucky
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:54 - 28 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie wrote:
i know but i sort of froze Embarassed

I saw the car and thought feck... I was thinking 'what do i need to do' >untwist throttle and brake. Anyway i dont think i would have reacted quick enough.

And yes it would appear that i have pulled Wink I took her for a ride before christmas and now shes offereing to come round to buff up my muffler and all sorts! Twisted Evil

I trust you will show a little more road sense and be more aware with a pillion on the back of your bike than you were when you were putting yourself in that car drivers blind spot so quick. Crying or Very sad

Be lucky, but be careful too. It will save your neck more often. Wink

Now, can I have my name back? Razz Laughing

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 10:29 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the poor lad alone. You lot prolly wouldn't have reacted any different. Me either. Most cagers don't have a "blind" spot, more like a "too lazy to turn my head" spot.
When a woman pulled out on me I was more bothered about my life flashing in front of my eyes than rolling off and braking. Also if he had braked he may have locked the wheels and still binned it.
Retro, please don't refer to someone as an idiot unless you really have a reason to. Next time you have an incident and show some amazing skill in avoiding it let us know.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know what you mean Deano...

seems like everyone on here is a perfect rider or at least think they are Rolling Eyes

oh yea..and youre a lucky git newb Wink

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 12:23 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, i'm far from that, i managed to have an unlucky chain of events, then come out lucky at the end.
so it sorta cancels me out.

Very lucky then mike,
had something similar happen to me,
just had to nail it in 3rd and hope to get past,
which i did. lol. poor bike doesnt like 12'500 though, tis smooth though. lol.

Well you survive another day! soon see you all at the wheel..

Just gotta get my heap of crap road legal.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 12:26 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you are indeed a very lucky boy Newb!

Second, this has reminded me to practice my emergency stops again.

Do you want people to die/get injured, Luke? Confused...your attitude kinda reminds me of Alistair McGowan's impression of Michael Burk in the 999 programme - "...but he survived this time...Damn Him!" Laughing

It's hard to get your head around to what is "the right thing" to do if you've never been in a similar situation before, so it's unfair to criticise...but hopefully you can learn from this incident...maybe the new "hazard awareness" thing in the theory test isn't so bad after all?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:58 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky person. /me tries not to let his bike run outta fuel Razz

stupid bloody car drivers is all I can say

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 13:13 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky git Newb!!

I had a friend who was a VERY competent rider, and had a similar thing happen to him (funnily enough on the EP Telford), he wasn't so fortunate, and got T-boned into the railings, knocked unconcious, and broke lots of bones. He hasn't ridden since.

Glad you're OK.

Evilbob
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:19 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: fuel thing Reply with quote

i always find when my fuel runs outs it normally has the oposite effect and almost kills me Smile so nice one there mate.

As for doing the right thing at THAT MOMENT i know what ya mean i always find that i never press the horn to bissy taking evasive(sp?) actions grgrgrggr.

As for stomping on the brakes, i was flying around the courner of the duel carraged way once and theres a sodding slip road like 100meters after the corner ONCE (in like 1year) i came across a car coming out of it started to brake hard at speed round courner needless to say everything got scary lol,

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 17:48 - 29 Jan 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me, when some blind fuck pulls out in front of me I never hit the horn as it's hardly gonna do anything, I just hit the brakes and head for an escape route if necessary. I think i've used my horn twice ever.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2