Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heathrow access charges

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:57 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Heathrow access charges Reply with quote

Hi

https://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23456693-details/£20+charge+to+drop+off+passengers+at+Heathrow+airport/article.do

Seems like Heathrow want to charge everyone £20 for dropping someone off at Heathrow (on top of parking charges) and also be able to charge anyone using the local roads (including the M4) a "congestion charge".

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cost me £11 to park for 2.5hrs when I dropped my family off at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago. BAA scum.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:05 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
It cost me £11 to park for 2.5hrs when I dropped my family off at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago. BAA scum.

Looks like they want to increase that to £20 to park, plus another £20 to access the airport and another £3 to use the M4 to get to the airport.

All the best

Keith

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Looks like they want to increase that to £20 to park, plus another £20 to access the airport and another £3 to use the M4 to get to the airport.

All the best

Keith

Those greedy money-whoring BAA scum need legislation rammed up their corporate arse. Who the fuck do they think they are, the govt?

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fucking outrageous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:
That is fucking outrageous.

It's business as usual in Great Britain.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 11:36 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase anyone didn't read the article (I expect lots didn't before posting).

The article says that firstly these are just "secret" plans, so they might be all made up anyway. Secondly, the £3 M4 congestion fee applies to lorries only.

The new £20 pricing scheme will only be introduced if BAA get permission to build another terminal and another runway. Considering the fifth terminal has just opened, it will be a VERY long time before there is a sixth and another runway. I'm thinking 20 to 50 years.

So don't get too excited over the article, and remember to read it before posting.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may only apply to lorries now, but once the scheme is in place all it takes is some bullshit eco-concern or a dodgey report and oh look all vehicles now pay.

Remember when the london congestion charge was brought in and it was strictly to reduce emmissions and congestion, and as such loads of people went out and converted their cars to LPG, guess what a couple of years later and LPG is no longer exempt...

Nibble Nibble goes our Money and Freedom...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
The new £20 pricing scheme will only be introduced if BAA get permission to build another terminal and another runway. Considering the fifth terminal has just opened, it will be a VERY long time before there is a sixth and another runway. I'm thinking 20 to 50 years.

Article is saying that the charges would come in in 2015. Looks like it is not for when the new facilities open, just when they are given persmission to build them.

All the best

Keith

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily avoided.

Just fly from another airport Thumbs Up

If people vote with their feet and go else where then the airlines will soon be putting pressure on BAA to drop the charges.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvell, please don't patronise us when its a another UK tale of the average hard working Joe Blogg's getting fucked in the ass.

For as much as I love the UK I am truly beginning to get a real hatred towards the fucking scum who run the UK into the ground. Nothing hammers it home like when you speak to people from 3rd world countries and their like 'We could not believe how backward the UK was', or when you see Singapore or any other country that has to endure much harsher conditions than we do yet the people seem better off.

Nothing ever seems to be done for the benefit of the people. Always profit at the expense of the people. It fucking makes my blood boil to think of the fucking retards who run our councils and government.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:

I work on the other side of the A4 from Heathrow - and right next to the massive BA building. One of my staff today confided that he knows several people who work there, all of whom tell him that the building is 2/3rds empty (which ties in with how little traffic goes in and out) and that they believe it is going to be the site of the next terminal.

BAA owns shed-loads of land in the area surrounding Heathrow, and the government owns a lot of the rest (my prison is next to another immigration facility - plus a BT wiretapping/call intercept centre and a HMRC base of operations too.
There is thus massive potential for the airport to grow, and plenty of political will in the area in support of it.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 23:56 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I'm actually against the idea, as I suspect everyone here is.

I was simply pointing out some of the facts in the article, only lorries being charged for using the M4 and the fact that it could be a while before it's implemented, if ever.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the likes of Gatwick, Luton and Stanstead would look forward to the increased traffic such a scheme would help cause...

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 20:44 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
I'm sure the likes of Gatwick, Luton and Stanstead would look forward to the increased traffic such a scheme would help cause...

The biggest 2 of which BAA own Smile

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 16:40 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention its all well and good saying avoid heathrow due to the extra £20, but if the only cheap airline to your destination flies from there you're somewhat fucked.

Despite living right next to luton airport, when i go to most places i get lumbered flying from Gatport airwick which is a pain in the cunt to get down to (Joy, thameslink Thumbs Up).

Plus voting with the feet only works in numbers. I dont eat wild caught fish/seafood, yet last night a guy was honestly trying to convince me that its silly cos cows/animals have feelings as he munched into his tuna pizza. This guy was a chef, knew what tuna were (beautiful huge apex predators) and yet placed mutton over them Rolling Eyes So my contribution is worth nought when diluted my muppets like that pushing the selection the other way.

We could all avoid heathrow, and they'd either run more low cost or more high cost airlines from there to split the vote. Low cost would be worth the extra 20 quid, high cost and it wouldn't bother them.

Scum, but its how capitalism works sadly Sad

Craig, still want a room mate in Penang ???
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Hope they don't get it bearing in mind the arrow is where i work Rolling Eyes...

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 12 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god we up North have our own decent International Airport in Manchester.

If you cant fly somewhere from Manchester, id rather connect in somewhere like Paris or Amsterdam than contend with the overcrowded cess pit that is Heathrow airport. Gatwicks not much better either.

NexusDragon
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:13 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a government plan to make international travel so expensive you wont be able to afford flights, let alone parking our car.

Probably a big plan to stop the hard-working middle class from going abroad. They can stay right here and pay more tax instead.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:

If you cant fly somewhere from Manchester, id rather connect in somewhere like Paris or Amsterdam than contend with the overcrowded cess pit that is Heathrow airport. Gatwicks not much better either.

Manchester IS NOT a decent airport
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

NexusDragon wrote:
Probably a government plan to make international travel so expensive you wont be able to afford flights, let alone parking our car.

Probably a big plan to stop the hard-working middle class from going abroad. They can stay right here and pay more tax instead.

its not that sinister , the fact remains that the Government is composed mostly of lawyers who are completely out of their depth, Gordon Brown the PM and smoke and mirrors chancellor has a degree in history and thats pretty much it.

If you had economists , engineers making the decisions the country would be a lot better as they can decide what to do and benefit the country. Politicians don't know what they are doing , ie the whiskey tax rise, the demand vs supply curves are somewhat inelastic increase the price consumption falls, thus you make no extra tax on the tax increase, infact you probably make even less.

It seems that he isn't good at history either seeing that he didn't notice the huge bubble.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
bwfc4eva86 wrote:

Manchester IS NOT a decent airport

It is when you compare it to London Heathrow!

Its no Changi Airport which is by far the most gorgeous airport ever.

But its better than any of the london airports.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackpool Airport does a nice cup of tea and the Crisps are only 50p

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:

It is when you compare it to London Heathrow!

But its better than any of the london airports.

Sure sure but the thing is about HK airport , Taipei and perhaps Guangzhou (though the staff are all forced to wear these horrible khaki colour uniforms) , is that the women working there are top notch, and shockingly available too.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:

I see Changi and raise you Zurich.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2