Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chinese Gov murder peaceful demonstrators / censoring media

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Chinese Gov murder peaceful demonstrators / censoring media Reply with quote

Recently (as you should all know) the Tibetans have been protesting the continued occupation of their country and ethnic cleansing* of their people by mass demonstrations, sometimes escalating into buildings being set on fire etc.

No one seems sure what caused the final spark for the recent protests, which have spread to many other regions since. One thought is China's recent media attention due to hosting of the Bejing Olympics.

Usually, small demonstrations are quickly dealt with by the Chinese authorities. A small group of armed soldiers will deploy and the protestors will be rounded up to either be killed (and body parts harvested), or sent to forced labour camps.

This time, the demonstrations were of a larger scale, and seemed to be more coherent, more organised in their quest. However, it is important to note that these demonstrations were initially very peaceful. That is until several protestors were mowed down indiscriminately by Chinese soldiers, and mass round-ups began.

Once a demonstrating group has reached a certain size, and the authorities refuse the right to peaceful protest, history teaches us that only one thing can happen. Civil unrest.

Unfortunately, now the Chinese authorities have stepped up operations against the Tibetans and as I type this, large groups have surrendered and the Chinese are doing round-ups and door-to-door searches. Sadly, I believe their fate is now sealed.

Meanwhile, as this has all been happening, media coverage of the scale of the atrocities (let's call a spade a spade, huh) has been completely quashed, or in the worst cases spun by several outlets as if the Tibetans are to blame. This, as history will no doubt show, is definately not the case.

China's human rights record further condemned, although when they come to Blighty they are welcomed like a second family.

Right, I'll stop ranting now and post some links. Some are very disturbing.

/rant

*- China forced Tibetan women to marry Chinese men.

China cracks down on protest news
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7302625.stm

The Chinese government and rights groups have provided radically different accounts of the past week.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7304144.stm

500 Hundred monks protest in Kanlho, Gansu Province
https://www.tchrd.org/press/2008/pr20080318a.html

Photographic evidence of the bloody crackdown on peaceful protesting Tibetan at Ngaba County, Sichuan Province, on 16 March 2008
https://www.tchrd.org/press/2008/pr20080318c.html

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:29 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long considered going to London to support the guys of the Tibeten Liberation Army, they are still in existence all around the world with a lot of support in our country as well.

It an absolute travesty that China is still occupying Tibet and I knew this would happen one day.

It's like Tianemen square all over again, China are a malicious country but are now too powerful for us to do anything about it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 09:53 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny how things are reported slightly differently now we want to do deals with China.

A few years ago, this sort of thing would be deplored, as with Tienamen square, but nowadays, reporting is a bit more distant and neutral.

Greek police obligingly gave Chinese officials the names and passport details of tibetan protestes outside the Chinese Embassy in Greece. Maybe china wants to send them all a birthday card on their birthday or something.

India has helpfully stopped a protest march that was going to go through India arriving in China.

Even the Dalai Llama has said he no longer supports Tibetan independance (as its not going to happen) and would just like tibetans to have a bit more say in running their country. Oh and can the chinese please stop killing his people, if its not too much trouble.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could go the other way like this country where all minorities rule the majority and kill majorities because the majorities don't agree with the minorities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Or you could go the other way like this country where all minorities rule the majority and kill majorities because the majorities don't agree with the minorities.

Seems a very narrow way of thinking about it. If you were a minority here, would you not take advantage of the same system you complain about? It seems a little unjust to criticize people (many of whom are just trying to make the most of their lives) because of SOME violent immigrants who make unrest.

Especially when you compare it to the hooliganism of many of this country. Foreign football incidents for example, and the way we are so arrogant in every other country.
I'm not saying that there aren't violent immigrants that we could do without, but there are plenty of hardworking ones that put the effort into getting a life over here, and paying tax. And the 'majorities' in this country aren't majorities in the places where the 'minorities' kill them.

On the original topic, it would appear that when a REAL problem is occuring, the powers that be, are not going to attempt to intervene. However when there is money to be made and not human lives to be saved, it will become priority #1.

Pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=149_1205970824

Not that i can believe all that i see from amatuer posters, but it can be swang both ways. Western media i don't take all too seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyroforlife wrote:

Seems a very narrow way of thinking about it. If you were a minority here, would you not take advantage of the same system you complain about?

Quite possibly - if I was the type of person that fitted the stereotype that many white people have of me. If I did play the system, I hope I wouldn't be hypocritical enough to pretend to not understand why it upset the 'native' majority.

Quote:

It seems a little unjust to criticize people (many of whom are just trying to make the most of their lives) because of SOME violent immigrants who make unrest.

It's not just about foreign vermin on the streets raping and killing us, it's about the effect that Race Relations legislation has on every aspect of life.

My British-Asian mate (and hopefully future wife) has just joined the Met, and is terrified that she will be promoted/progressed because of what she is, not who she is. As it happens, she's bright, hardworking and already very experienced, so she'll go far - but will people believe she got there on her own merits?

To confuse the situation still further, I applied for the Met in November - and have yet to receive a date for even the Day 1 assessment. Yesterday I found that another asian lass of my acquaintance has received her Day 1 date for 2 weeks time - despite applying 2 months after me. Do you think that makes me more supportive of race relations, or less?

The irony is I persuaded both of them to apply for the Met in the first place, trying to put their fears at rest ref. them suffering racism. Now it's me that's being fucked over by 'my own people'!

Quote:

And the 'majorities' in this country aren't majorities in the places where the 'minorities' kill them.

1) Yes they often are
2) If they weren't, would it make it ok?
3) If there are areas where whites are in the minority - that can raise a whole new area of complaint anyway!

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible as the quashing of Tibetan protestors is, China does not claim to be a bastion of human rights that other powers do...

For however evil they are at least they dont claim to be something they are not. The concept of human rights as a euro-centric thing that developed on the other side of the world to china... Why should they accept it as a fundamental principal?

https://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2004-05/12508938.jpg
https://metaversed.com/files/images/tiananmen-square-tanks.jpg

Same bullshit happens all over the world, when people without guns go up against those with them...

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let the buggers get on with it. We should be making sure our shores are safe, make sure we have all that we need and want, then perhaps throw some scraps to the rest of the world. Fuck em, cause thats what they will do to us once they have sorted themselves out. Look after number one because no fucker is going to look after you.
It's about time we realised that.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: Chinese Gov murder peaceful demonstrators / censoring me Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
No one seems sure what caused the final spark for the recent protests, which have spread to many other regions since. One thought is China's recent media attention due to hosting of the Bejing Olympics.

As part of that build-up, apparently China have told The Whole World that they may not climb Mt Everest from around mid-May until the Olympic Flame has been taken up to the top.

Several groups of climbers (including Sir Ranulph Fiennes, who was planning some sort of attempt, which he had planned to start training for in May) have been sent letters by the Chinese saying "Your tour/ascent is cancelled due to our Olympic plans".

Could it possibly be that they don't want every Tom Dick and Harry to be sniffing round, seeing what they are doing to repress the Tibetans?

So they're not just telling Tibet to behave.
They're telling everyone to stay out.

What are they gonna do if someone thinks "Fuck it, I'll climb it anyway!" ... shoot them?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1