Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda XR125 - Noise when Accelerating

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:04 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Honda XR125 - Noise when Accelerating Reply with quote

Hi

I have just bought a Honda XR125 L4 (54 plate) with 1200 miles on the clock.

I have a full license and have had big bikes but wanted a cheap reliable commuter.

The problem i have is when the bike is stationary and on tickover everything sounds fine, up the engine revs (still stationary) still sounds fine, but when I am on the bike accelerating it sounds like the bike is knocking or vibrating and very hard to pinpoint where it is coming from.

I stripped the bike down when I got it, to lube everything and check bolts for tightness etc and all seemed ok, the exhaust is the standard exhaust and is also nice and tight.

If I am riding with constant revs everything sounds ok, but when I whack the revs on (as much as poss on a 125!!) the noise returns.

There is no excess smoke, I changed the oil whcih wasn't too dirty, chain tension is ok (25mm ish) so I cant think what it might be.

The bike is very low mileage so you would hope nothing serious would be wrong with it this early on (he says doubtfully!), and the performance of the bike is exactly as I would expect - no probs at all.

any ideas anybody Confused
It may be that this is normal for 125's but

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same bike, (for sale actually), if you could record the noise we could be a bit more helpful perhaps.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately it would be very tricky due to the noise only being there only during acceleration and not with the bike on the stand.

Wind noise etc would make it pretty much undetectable if recording on the move

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you describe the noise?

Where are you based also, because someone near you might be able to help.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would describe it as something vibrating on the frame. It doesnt sound engine related but more as if something is knocking against the bikes frame at a fairly high rate and only when either accelerating or maintaining a fairly high rev rate

I though it was the mudguard but this seems secure.

I'm based up in Teesside

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

25mm chain slack seems a little high to me, would it be possible to try closer to 40mm? Are there any wires with clips to the frame that have come loose from the frame?

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:42 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand, you say 25mm is too high and recommend 40mm or am I getting mixed up?

Wires all look ok, I think it is something bigger than a wire, feels heavier than that.

Do you have a recording of your bike on the move to compare to mine?

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hornet 600, vid here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0KhA0kbWJ8 although my 4 cylinder 600 will sound different to your single cylinder 125.

My recommended chain tension is 30-40mm, which is why I said 25mm seems to tight, although different bikes probably have different recommended chain tensions

Last edited by MarkJ on 22:48 - 24 Mar 2008; edited 1 time in total

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:48 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
Im from Tees-side too, guisborough to be precise. Have you checked the Heat shield on the exhaust pipe, mine used to rattle when i had my XR125

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:49 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am used to big bikes too, they sound much nicer, but I dont think this 125 sounds right.

I think I will get it look at by a pro to put my mind at ease.

The bike has a low mileage and it is in good nick but the chain was pretty rusty when I got it (it cleaned up ok tho) maybe this is the problem??

thanks

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, does it have any stiff links?

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:52 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatts wrote:
I am used to big bikes too, they sound much nicer, but I dont think this 125 sounds right.

I think I will get it look at by a pro to put my mind at ease.

The bike has a low mileage and it is in good nick but the chain was pretty rusty when I got it (it cleaned up ok tho) maybe this is the problem??

thanks

Have you checked the chain for tight spots? I doubt it would cause a knocking sound though. Does it sound like its from the engine area?

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:04 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taken the chain off to check for tight links but had a good feel about in situ and as much as I could feel it felt ok. I know ideally the chain needs to be off, but as JackW72 says I doubt the chain is causing this noise.

I just noticed your thread eddclarke sorry, heat shield. eh? I thought it could have somethig to do with the exhasut tbg but everything feels tight. did yours rattle even thought it was nipped up?

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:07 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry as Eddclarke suggested not likely to be chain, I should read my posts before submitting them!! Embarassed

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with my CBR. My chain is pretty much knackered, alot of the links have become extremely stiff and a few have seized completely.

When the chain goes over the front sprocket, it shapes itself to the front sprocket, but as it comes off, it wants to stay in a curved shape instead of straightening out. This causes the chain under the chain under the swing arm to bounce up and down.

Does your bike only do i at high RPM or high speed? Try it at a few different speeds then close the throttle and pull the clutch in and listen.

I get a kinda thumping sound, and the chain bounces back and forth against the rubber chain gaurd on the front of the swingarm.

It's not noticable when going really slow (under 10mph), and neither above about 35mph.

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:21 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noxious thanks for the advice,

it only makes the noise as you said at higher revs and but from 0 upto whatever the max speed is on a 125 (60 ish) so I would suggest it is more of an acceleration thing.

You could have a point about the stiff links though. I would need to take the chain off to have a proper look

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatts wrote:
I would need to take the chain off to have a proper look

Nah!

https://www.latex-glove.biz/latex-gloves.jpg

Gets some gloves and bend th links back and forth with your hands. They should all move easily. If you find any stiff ones, give them a good clean and relube.

Helped a bit with my chain, but I left it too long, so it's beyond rescue now.

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:58 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatts wrote:
I haven't taken the chain off to check for tight links but had a good feel about in situ and as much as I could feel it felt ok. I know ideally the chain needs to be off, but as JackW72 says I doubt the chain is causing this noise.

I just noticed your thread eddclarke sorry, heat shield. eh? I thought it could have somethig to do with the exhasut tbg but everything feels tight. did yours rattle even thought it was nipped up?

Yeah mine did, so i took it off. Its worth a try.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the wheel and sprocket carrier bearings like ?

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the noise come if you rev the machine in neutral with it on the stand?
Also, when you say it is affected by acceleration, does the noise stop when you change up gear and go back to lower revs?

It sounds like it could be your chain. If the noise gets worse simply as your speed goes up regardless of your revs as well as not occurring whilst revving in neutral then I would assume that your chain is clinking on the sprockets or whatnot and gets 'worse' as the speed increases (bad spot contacts with sprocket more often as back wheel spins faster)

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:04 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice so far to everyone.

Shay HTFC, the noise is not there at all when the bike is revving in neutral, no matter how hard I rev it.

When on the bike and taking it very slow through the gears the nise isn't too bad, if I start changing up at the higher end of the revs and accelerating as hard as one would normally on a bike (without taking the mick obviously) then the sound is at its worse.

So it seems the more load the bike is under the worse the noise.

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:05 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice so far to everyone.

Shay HTFC, the noise is not there at all when the bike is revving in neutral, no matter how hard I rev it.

When on the bike and taking it very slow through the gears the noise isn't too bad, if I start changing up at the higher end of the revs and accelerating as hard as one would normally on a bike (without taking the mick obviously) then the sound is at its worse.

So it seems the more load the bike is under the worse the noise.

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As iooi said, have a look at the rear wheel and sprocket carrier bearings.

Does the bike feel different when this sound is happening? Unstable?

beatts
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:02 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

no bike handles fine, how would I check these bearings?

the rear sprocket looks ok, i.e. the teeth are shaped as they should be with a flat at the top of each tooth and not ground to a point.

The bike has only done 1200 miles, could the chain / sprockets be knackered after such a short time? I know it depends on how its looked after and to be honest the chain was rusty but like I said the sprocket looks alright in my opinion.

I turned the wheel by hand and couldnt hear any grinding from the wheel bearings, the wheel turned freely.

Like I said it is more like a vibration than anything else, or something knocking at speed so it feels like a vibration.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can rock the wheel when its off the ground from side to side then you have bearing issues. Sprocket carrier you need to take wheel off and give it a good pull with your fingers. But to be honest if its only done the milage you say, they should be OK.
I would say that the chain need a real good lube up.
Maybe take it right off, clean it up and then give it a good soak with oil and hang for a while to let excess drip off.
Even better, but not sure if you can still get. Is the tins of chain greese that you put on a stove (camping one outside is best..) to melt. Once melted put chain in leave for a while then lift out. The grease gets inside all the joints, but because it then sets when cold does not get flung off everywhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2