BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Goosed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:03 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Goosed Reply with quote

When starting my bike this morning the battery sounded a little flat cos the starter motor was only just turning over, but yesterday day i did allot of short journeys so no real worries and I was going for quite a long trip today so it should charge its self.
when id filled up @ the petrol station I ended up Bump starting it cos the batt was even flatter NO FUN .....Then about 4miles down the road my indicators and lights where barely working, anyway I went back home and the batt is totally flat the voltage was reading 4.5 V when running so I charged it and popped it on the bike, started her up and the volts where dropping like fly's even while revving the bike. Then I popped my dads NEW battery on and it was reading above 12V while it was running then after a few min is started dropping to 11.99 then 11.80 .......11.70 and so on so I stopped the engine and watched the battery recover back to 12/13V.

But now I don't know what to do!!! I think my battery might need replacing anyway cos after putting my dads new one on it seems a bit crap, but the main thing is that the new battery was losing power while the engine was running rather than charging.

anybody got any Hints where to start cos I HATE electrics
(iv checked all the fuses BTW )

Thanks peeps

Last edited by Ropehead on 17:16 - 06 Feb 2003; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an altenator connection has come loose?
but don't ask me where to look for that one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:12 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milo wrote:
Maybe an altenator connection has come loose?
but don't ask me where to look for that one!

iv checked all the conections around thier so i dont look 2 good Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you have AA membership, they will try and fix it for you Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:19 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bike did that. alternator was blown.

seeing as its a suzuki the alternator is built into the left hand casing as you look at the engine. drain the oil, get it out and look at the windings. if they look burnt out, its becuase they are. you might also get the "dead electrics" smell.

if its gone i'll be ablew to get you the address of the people who rewind them, seeing as i got mine back this morning.

have fun.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest Robby, how did the rewinding go? Was it expensive and does it now work? Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:58 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Dodgy wiring from the alternator to the regulator / rectifier and then onto the battery, dodgy regulator / rectifier or dodgy alternator.

The wiring should be possible to check with a multimeter, and with the alternator you just really need to check for continuity over the relevant wires. The regulator / rectifier may be tested, but you would have to read the manual for that

All the best

KEith

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:00 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v checked the continuity over the 3 yellow wires from the reglator fine no Beeping on the multimeter. also it reads a steady 12.5Volts at idle speep contuning up to 40+ volts when u rev it.
So its looking like a problem with the regulator / rectifier and i aint got much of a clue how 2 test that.

& does anyone have any ideas about the price of a new regulator / rectifier ???

Thanks for all your help Wink

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:06 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v checked the continuity over the 3 yellow wires from the reglator fine no Beeping on the multimeter. also it reads a steady 12.5Volts at idle speep contuning up to 40+ volts when u rev it.
So its looking like a problem with the regulator / rectifier and i aint got much of a clue how 2 test that.

& does anyone have any ideas about the price of a new regulator / rectifier ???

Thanks for all your help Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:34 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 60 quid, could be a bit less cos yours will just be the DR350 one.

try www.daves-spares.co.uk

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:28 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Voltage going up like that is pretty much a sure sign the regulator is fried. May well have taken your battery with it

All the best

Keith

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:21 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Voltage going up like that is pretty much a sure sign the regulator is fried. May well have taken your battery with it

All the best

Keith

The genarator reading was taken B4 the regulator / rectifier, the reading after it is 0 Volts nothing. zilch. lip thats why the battery is just going flat me thinks, so that batt should be ok with a good charging.

iv found a regulator / rectifier for £59(dr350s)
https://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/regrec2.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1