BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dilema (sp?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 20:51 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Dilema (sp?) Reply with quote

Ok, I have a dilema (sp?). I owe money for a holiday with my mates from 8th-22nd July... so... I won't be able to afford a bike bigger than a 125. My NSR is shagged, and gonna blow up again within the next 1000 miles, so I need to get rid. I have been seriously considering getting an RS125 and insuring it so I can go to RnB and BdB and basically still be on the road. I could probably just about afford an RS250, but I wouldn't be able to afford the insurance and the money for my test until after my holiday, hence missing RnB and possibly BdB Sad So what would you advise me to do? And before anyone says it, I have decided on another 2 stroke cos they'll be long gone before long and I can have a 4 stroke anytime in the future, just like Goose said. Thing is, I want an RS250 if I go ahead the with 250 option cos to be fair it's the only one that looks any good apart from the RGV, but they're all too old and I can just see one being more trouble than it's worth, which is why I am so tempted by the RS125 for a bit? I dunno... opinions please Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:01 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you cant go for an RS125, that just wrong.

does it have to be a pretty one? all the other stroker 250s do the job for a lot less cash.

or you could buy an old runabout (CB/GS 250) and run it into the ground for no cash.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 21:41 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha RD350LC/YPVS

sposed to be solid bikes, very cheap and loads of parts, 110mph top, dont look amazing, but kind of a classic looking thing, which i kind of like, sposed to be great wheelie machines as well Smile

also whats exactly wrong with your NSR scoob? can it not be sorted out, i thought the NSR was sposed to be the most reliable?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:56 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would go for the cheap bigger bike. You can pick up a larger engined bikes for not much and get used to it. For exampl I just looked on the Autotrader web site for CBR600s within 60 miles of Mansfield (used to live there so can remember the postcode), and found a nice looking black and red one from a dealers, 1989 G reg for £1395, a fair bit less than an RS250 would cost to buy

OK, 2 strokes might die off but they will not be banned from the roads (there is no legal precedent for that kind of action), and there will be plenty around for years to come. I am tempted with an NS400, and the newest one of those would be around 15 years old

All the best

Keith

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 22:06 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah forget the 2 strokes, you have had your fun with them now (and had one blow up on ya) so go for a cheap 4 stroke. Bendy has loads of fun on her CB500 so why not get something similar (GS500, MZ Skorpion, ER-5) as they are available at low low prices and cheap to insure. Why bother with another possible failure with an RS125 when you could have reliable (if a little tatty) 4 stroke at the same price (or cheaper)

If its the cost of the test you are worrying about then just get a cheaper/older model of bike. You know it makes sense in the long run, at least that way you have the test outta the way so if you come into a bit of money (lottery win etc) you are ready to roll onto a bigger/newer bike.

Anyway, thats what I would do. (sorry for all the brackets Laughing )

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:28 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Re: Dilema (sp?) Reply with quote

Are looks worth a signicantly less 'good'/usefull bike to you.

There's loads of old sports 4 strokes that will cost you less than an rs250 and still offer just as much fun and a lot better reliablility.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 22:39 - 06 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got ur restricted licence Booby?

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 01:12 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
You got ur restricted licence Booby?

lol, have I fuck... my mate did his not long ago and all in all it cost him abut £200, which includes a few lessons and then the test (he passed first time). This however, will be £200 I don't have Laughing, what with me needing a grand for this holiday I am going on and having paid a mere £90 off on it so far Laughing

I don't think that deep down I am too bothered about the looks of the bike (so long as it ain't a cruiser type, not my thing at all), but I want something reasonably new. I have had old motocross bikes in the past, and to be honest it would have been worth just buying a half decent one and maintaining it well, it would've probably saved me cash, and I know motocross bikes are a whole different thing altogether but you get my drift.

I will go and have a look at ER-5's and CB500's now, hopefully there will be a few fairly new ones pretty cheap. It's also insurance that I am bothered about, I don't want to pay through the teeth, because paying £500 to an insurance company and not even claiming just takes the piss, it's money coming out of my account each month and seemingly me being no better off, and then if you do crash the insurance company fuck you over, as my mate found out when he crashed his RS50. Totally his fault, and he was paying about a grand fully comp and they tried to fuck him over on technicalities, took him about 8 months to sort out his final payment, by which time his battered RS50 had been sitting in the garage and decreasing in value even more.

Cheers for the help,

Scoob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 02:19 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your that strapped for cash(like I am Sad ) why not just fix the nsr? Itll cost a lot less than buying a new bike and will at least get you past your hol.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 10:34 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why even bother considering anything over a 125 if you've not got your licence?

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 11:11 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah scoob, if you are really that low on cash, why not just get a second hand engine and stick it in?
Or how about get a new piston and rings and stick them in?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:18 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:

I will go and have a look at ER-5's and CB500's now, hopefully there will be a few fairly new ones pretty cheap. It's also insurance that I am bothered about, I don't want to pay through the teeth, because paying £500 to an insurance company and not even claiming just takes the piss.

CB's group 9 - this I know Smile I *think* the ER may be group 8.

ER-5s tend to be cheaper 2nd hand than cb500s, cos the ceeb holds it's value a bit better. But then, that comes around when you sell it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:47 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a GPz or similar, older models are available so you should be able to get them a fair bit cheaper, I haven't seem that many *really* cheap ERs etc

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 11:51 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say do the test first and worry about the bike later. As some of us have found out, it's not quite as simple as "taking your test", there's the small matter of passing it as well.

As for RnB, BDB etc...they're on every year, and I'm sure that we'll continue to go to them, so it's not exactly like you're gonna be totally missing out on anything (well, ok...Smile)...besides, I'm sure that someone could give you lift to RnB again (as long you destroy all of the speed cameras/volvos beforehand Razz)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 16:45 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimma wrote:
Yeah scoob, if you are really that low on cash, why not just get a second hand engine and stick it in?
Or how about get a new piston and rings and stick them in?

McJamweasel wrote:
If your that strapped for cash(like I am ) why not just fix the nsr? Itll cost a lot less than buying a new bike and will at least get you past your hol.

Well, I *could* fix the NSR, but like Zim says it wil be the case of a new engine. This is because I have half a piston somewhere in my crankcase is various little pieces that will sooner or later fuck up my big end bearing. I also have a crack in my exhaust bridge on the barrel, which will need welding and then replating, which will cost £300+ Sad

I dunno why, but I just don't trust my NSR anymore, they're supposed to be the most reliable of the 125 2 strokes but mine seems to be the exception to the rule. I need to get my clutch sorted too, which shouldn't be too difficult. I suppose what I could do is just fix my clutch and then get insurance on the NSR sorted and if it blows up again get a new engine for it, that seems like the cheapest option at the moment.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:50 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy G's NSR Smile

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 16:53 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, whats the engine like in it? Very Happy And what mileage?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:19 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

engine's fine i believe. forks are knackered or something. or a wheel. or something like that.

could I be any less help Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:30 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 14000km I think, forks bent, rear suspension bushings need replacing and excessive runout in rear wheel (ie dented).
The engine's not as powerfull as the faired models, but better than a restricted one. Has been really reliable to me, to the extent of starting second time after not having been run for several months in winter (first time I didn't have the choke on as well).

I've done quite a feew bits to it recently.
If you are interested you should be able to almagamte the two bike to get a decent one and loads of spares Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:31 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repair the nsr imo.

And if you want the bike soooo much, why spend a grand on a holiday? tell em you have to have a bike etc etc

or leave it somewhere where it will get nicked Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:43 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am surprised that the bike hasnt screwed up yet if there is half a piston floating round in there. There isnt much spare space in a 2 stroke crankcase.

Think it is about £100 to get a barrel replated, and not much to have any required welding done at the same time

All the best

Keith

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 00:37 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
am surprised that the bike hasnt screwed up yet if there is half a piston floating round in there. There isnt much spare space in a 2 stroke crankcase.

Well it's not so much half a piston... I'll explain. When my bike 'stopped working' I was going 95mph then all of a sudden the rear wheel locked so I pulled the clutch in and freewheeled to a stop.

When I stripped down the engine I thought the piston would be buggered and welded itself to the barrel. When I went to remove the barrel (piston was stuck at the top of the conrod) it came off surprisingly easily. What had actually happened was, the piston had cracked and a section fell down and as the crank was turning lodged itself between, causing it to suddenly stop. I removed most of the fragments of piston, and flushed it out with petrol and oil. It is literally filings that are left in the crankcase, but this can still bugger up my big end bearing I think?

How bad do you think the crack on the exhaust bridge will be? Will it get bigger with the heat, or will it be okay? I just don't like the idea of a piston travelling at 10,000rpm running right alongside a crack in my barrel, the slightest thing and it can bugger up my top end again, or am I wrong?

Cheers for the help.

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 00:48 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you had the bike in peices i would have got a magnet on the end of a long stick type thing and just ran it around inside the barrel, crankcase etc... that would have helped remove the filings, maybe not all of them but the more you get out the less chance of it seizing again.

You are correct though... just one tiny scratch on the piston or barrel and it can effect it quite badly Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 00:50 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrel has no filings on it, that was flushed with petrol and oil and there wasn't much on it to start with.

You ever tried getting a magnet into a crankcase? Shocked

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:56 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The piston is an aluminium alloy so will not stick to a magnet.

Yes there is a chance that any remaining crap will wreck the main bearings or the big end bearings. Also a reasonable chance they will disappear out of the engine while it is running. To fix it properly you would need to drop the engine out and split the crank cases. To cheat you can probably get away with dropping the engine, whipping the top end off and filling the crankcases with something like petrol and swilling it round to flush the rubbish out. Do this a few times then put some fresh 2 stroke oil onto the bearings (the petrol will have washed any oil from them)

The only real worry is whether the big end bearing has already been damaged

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2