Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hello again and ideas for a winter bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Hello again and ideas for a winter bike? Reply with quote

Huy guys not been around for a while thought I would just wave (do we have a symbol for wave?)

I am thinking of getting a winter bike. The hippy is trying to perswade me to have his 1200 bandit when he buys his zzr1200 but I dont know if I want his hand me downs and I dont think its my bag baby!! As most of you know I have a 650 raptor and the poor boy is italian and not a good winter runner (carb icing) and I dont like the fact its getting covered with the winter salt with all the corosion buisness when I just do the daily run to work in the winter.

I was thinking of getting a second hand winter runner and was intrested in peoples opinions of good sturdy options, perhaps ones that I can put belly pans, etc on to help with winter salty road stuff.

Size isnt important (no really)
I like bikes with a bit of character
It has to be pink (oh ok that would narrow down things too much)
Cost is a bit of an issue after all if it wasnt I would be buying a pink speed tripple as my second bike!

Any suggestions?

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 21:11 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about it and wait till spring, it's a few months away?

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperDream.

People will laugh, but they go on and on and on and on, and a bit of salt doesnt bother them. I'm buying a 16 year old 'Dream, been ridden in all weathers as a learner bike and winter hack, the only thing that doesnt look mint is a dent in the petrol tank

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 21:15 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right - well if the english weather ever decided to perk up. I was thinking of getting a head start on next year.

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 21:19 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am a big girl so I need a 'big' bike - Isnt the super dream small built? I might catch myself out with the drop in cc's and bhp as well but I will look out for one when we go bike shopping with the hippy and see what they are like.

Thanks

Doddmaster wrote:
SuperDream.

People will laugh, but they go on and on and on and on, and a bit of salt doesnt bother them. I'm buying a 16 year old 'Dream, been ridden in all weathers as a learner bike and winter hack, the only thing that doesnt look mint is a dent in the petrol tank

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Re: Hello again and ideas for a winter bike? Reply with quote

MrsHippy wrote:

It has to be pink (oh ok that would narrow down things too much)

Unfortunatley Dean sold his RF. Laughing

Oh and Hi! havent seen you for a while </me waves back>

I say go with mr hippys idea and keep his bandit 12, its only for winter after all. Wink

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking at buying a shitty scooter for all the short journies i make in all weather (1 mile to college and 1 mile home) i usually go home inbetween lessons as well so i make about six 1 mile trips a day! Those short journies were crapping up my beautiful aprilia Smile

I know alot of older people (in their 30's) who use scooteres for commuting on as they are dead cheap to run and so easy to queue jump!

Thats just me tho... if you after something a bit bigger then maybe a cg or something Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get early GS500s and GPZ500s for less than £1000, thats not too big a drop in bhp

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:38 - 07 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The 250 and 400 superdreams are not small bikes for the engine size. They go OK ish for cruising and are sheep proof. However they are getting rare now.

I agree with Dodds to have a look at a GPZ500 or GS500. We paid about £800 for Charlottes GPZ500 which was in good condition but needed some new tyres (the ones on it were virtually new, but were an illegal combination of a radial front and a crossply rear). The GPZ manages about 65mpg and they are quite low (probably smaller than a Superdream)

All the best

Keith

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:44 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a fireblade??? Rolling Eyes

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 01:52 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

C90 Very Happy

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:57 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, go with a CBR900!!

Anthony
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:07 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
but were an illegal combination of a radial front and a crossply rear

Sorry to sound stupid but what does that mean and why is it illegal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 04:08 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radial and cross ply are different methods of tire construction.

I think its illegal cos it can do silly things to the handling.

PostPosted: 10:05 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are rare thats probably why I cant think what one looks like! The hippy says that dropping down in engine would probably not notice as I am still in the very extra care in winter stage. I didnt realise they came in 400 that wold be nice and if they are rare then I better start to kleep an eye out now for next year!

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

The 250 and 400 superdreams are not small bikes for the engine size. They go OK ish for cruising and are sheep proof. However they are getting rare now.

You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 10:07 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes memories of my bike course! Certainly a good solid machine Smile

Doddmaster wrote:
You can get early GS500s and GPZ500s for less than £1000, thats not too big a drop in bhp
You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 10:14 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrs hippy..............how about a certain red "V-raptor" Razz......just a thought Laughing

have you thought about going on a spending binge with Mr Hippys credit card??? you know buy your self a new bike i.e blade or summin Wink and keep your raptor for a winter bike Wink

regards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:03 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The 250 and 400 superdreams died in the early 1980s. Youngest ones would be 20 years old. The 400 has a top speed of about 105. Most I ever got out of mine was 95, but then a friend one clocked me at 105mph when I was indicating 88 so I think the speedo was a tad out.

If you buy one change the oil regularly.

If you get a late 400 (CB400NC) then they have twin disks at the front with twin pot calipers which work OK.

There was also the CB350S from the late 80's which used a more modern looking frame with a reduced capacity version of the 400 engine. There was also around 1990 the CB450 which was a bored out version of the CB400 with only mildly revised styling and which was built in Brazil

All the best

Keith

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 23:07 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the v raptor (when I get to ride it!!) but it is not a winter bike. We have jsut done some major money reorganisation and tecnically there is enough on the cards to go and get the speed triple but tecnically as I have paid of the acounts I am supposed to be closing them............

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith you really are a mind of information!!

I think after todays journey to Lee on solent (Farham) I might just look into something with a bit of faring and a couple of those fluffy hand covers that go on the bars. Would the Hippy notice if I nick his heated hand grips?!

I also had a bit of a shock on the way home in the dark and drizzle when I realised that driving just to and from work all winter has stripped me of a lot I learnt over the summer and seems to have knocked my confidence as a result.

I think a few courses are in order. I am sure the hippy wont complain at going to a race day so I can get some cornering practice!!

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:00 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda CB 450 twin,
my dads just picked one up for £650 mint condition 19,000 miles on a J plate ,,cant go wrong Very Happy

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a trip into Swindon may be in order on Saturday so that you can have a look at what they have and get some ideas about size etc.
I'm sure if you ask nicely I can be persuaded to come along with you Very Happy

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 23:32 - 10 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You having to be perswaded to go to a bike shop - dont make me laugh thats about as difficult as perswading me to go to a tropical fish centre!!

PsychoHippy wrote:
Looks like a trip into Swindon may be in order on Saturday so that you can have a look at what they have and get some ideas about size etc.
I'm sure if you ask nicely I can be persuaded to come along with you Very Happy

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1