Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help! i need a bike doctor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 10:08 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Help! i need a bike doctor Reply with quote

ello peeps,

my ninja is having engine problems Sad, its been doing this ever since i got it but i never paid much attention untill now.

when i was riding down the motorway last night everynow and again, throttle response would compleatly vanish heavy engine breaking would occur and the bike sounded like the engine was turning over on the rear wheel only Confused i.e what happens when you run out of fuel:?:

now kev mentioned last night that he thought my bike was running "rich" could this be the cause?? and if so what do i do to correct this...i know about the carb screws.....just ermm where the bloomin eck are they?

and if its not that......then what else could i be looking at:?:

its got nout to do with a powerband jimbo/stephen so keep your spam out of my post!Wink[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 10:16 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truthfully wouldn't even consider touching my carb set up, I mean one carb gives me enuf headaches never mind 4 of the buggers Confused

if its running rich i would suggest taking it to your local friendly bike shop and get them to ballance and adjust the carbs

but yeah running rich could be the problem as it could be flooding the engine, so the engine sort of dies off and as you say is kept running by your momento then once its cleared itself out it springs back into life.

mind you it might not be your problem, but I would still suggest getting the carbs ballanced etc

sorry not much help really there was I Rolling Eyes

Hex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:37 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a read through this:
https://members.accesstoledo.com/rmonhollen/carbtunning.html

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 11:18 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch!!! too much for my brain to digest Confused

for a while i thought it was just a flat spot......but it did it last night a 8k rpm Confused now i dont no much about the zx-6r but as far as i know thats abit high for a flat spot Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

its tin who likes to mention powerbands Razz

and why not take ti back to where you boght it if it has been doing it since you got it?

and i think you will know aboutas mcuh about carb screws as i do. why not check the plugs to see if it is running rich?

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 11:56 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, nowt to do with powerbands, it's the fact that it's GREEN Razz

Umm, I assume that you're having these problems with the Yoshi? Have you tried putting the original can back on? There's a chance that the bike wasn't re-jetted when the race can was put on.

But as Ste says, take it back to the dealer and shout a lot Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:13 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A flat spot is normally just a point where the bike wont accelerate, Sounds to me almost as though the bike is cutting out. Does the tacho drp down at the same time?

The mixture screws on the carbs only affect low speed mixture. Once you are past about 1/4 throttle they are irrelevant and to sort it out you need to start changing needles and jets.

First point is to check the plugs. If it is running seriously rich then it could have fouled them a bit, but at least you will have some idea of how it is running

All the best

Keith

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 14:09 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thx to all Razz

ive just spoken to the head mechanic at the honda dealership where i got my bike......i trust him as were good freinds i go on rides whith him and hes been a close freind of my grandad for years Laughing

he pulled the file on my bike.....

what he said. (almost word for word)
"if you were in 6th gear at 7-8krpm your gunna be at around 1/4 throttle...at 8k rpm sports 600's throw a fecking fit and try to shoot off...if your sat at 1/4throttle and the bike hits 8k your have problems because the engine needs more fuel to support the madness it wants to do Laughing SO STOP riding like a fecking girl and rev the bitch!!! its a race bike for christ sake....you wanna ride like that get a harley! Laughing you wait till i see your old man...your not gunna live this down" etc etc etc.

he then said..."the bike has had bigger jets put in so thats not a problem...as for the flames coming out the exhaust, ya big poof...its a race can, 90% of race cans do it, its just some do it more than others. yoshi's are renowned for big backfires"

he went on ripping my back out for about 30mins lol telling all the sales staff etc so im gunna be destroyed when i get up there lol....he did say though if im that worried go up there chuck him a tenner and hell spend a few hours having a look at it Razz

so everything seems ok Razz

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

just gotta stop riding like a pansy mate Smile

come to london more, we'll sort you out
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:18 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

goose u ride like a poof

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

poof, pansy, whats the difference Razz

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:25 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thats the spirit

i know for a fact that i would be able to lose you on any road* mate Smile so bring it on

a challenge for the BCF DVD maybe?

(excludes motorways cos we dont all have 110bhp to play** with Razz )

**(well i say play, but craig doesnt seem to bother using more than 10 of the said horses at a time Razz)

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:32 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only use enough power to overtake mate....overtaking safely and all that, and 10bhp is more than enough power to woop your ass......i reckon if i left it in first killed the engine and held the starter button in, my electric starter would give your steam powered garden strimer other wise known as a cbr250 a damn good thrashing Laughing

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:36 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

challenge extended Twisted Evil

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:50 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

challenge welcomed Razz

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:57 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring it greeny grandad

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 23:15 - 08 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

come back when ya old enough to drink 250 boy Razz

a 250's not a bike...its a lawnmower with handlebars Razz

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 00:25 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lawnmower with handlebars that can take you on matey Smile

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 00:28 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok maybe...but no fair...i cant get any grip on grass Razz

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:12 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
a lawnmower with handlebars that can take you on matey Smile

Iv heard chainsaws wiht more GRUNT Razz

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 13:42 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ropehead i hate to metion this......but my works aircompressor is a 350cc single Laughing

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:47 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig matey, you still gotta learn to ride your bike (other then like a BIATCH!) before you can think of hammering anyone Wink

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 13:48 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i just gotta get used to riding the bigger bikes Razz

by the summer ill be a demon on it....you wait and see Wink

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Feb 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
lol ropehead i hate to metion this......but my works aircompressor is a 350cc single Laughing

Yeh u think u all that me and Goose will kill yah then sell your COMMON as muck snot bike Razz

then Buy 50 intresting funky imports Cool

big tz

PostPosted: 05:26 - 12 Feb 2003    Post subject: yamaha bike prombles Reply with quote

need help on my 1985 xj 700max x. it was running fine today the battery died it sat for a four hours. we put in a new battery and the bike would not go into gear and stay running . it would runs fine in nuturel.
You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2