View previous topic : View next topic  

prowler
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:50 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Olympic Torch Reply with quote

Funny this all the little lemmings trying to get at the flame Razz

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even funnier, all the innocent people being murdered and tortured in Tibet by a sub-human, criminal occupying force.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 13:37 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm Konnie Huq!

The Olympics disgust me in general - so much of MY money wasted just to inconvenience me and make a lot of people richer at my expense.

That we are pandering to this corrupted ideal without even bothering to censure China for abuses we admit are happening is disgraceful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more these interruptions keep going on the less i feel for the Tibetans,
the olympics are supposed to be a sign of peace, yes i know the money the politics brought in Blah Blah Blah yarn yarn yarn, but the fact that China has got the Olympics has brought the plight of the Tibetans to the world media.

are we all now going to slash the tyres or stop all those who ride Chines motorbikes? yes thats it, every time we see a chinese made item we smash it up and call anyone who is selling or using chinese items. Protest outside every take away and don't eat rice.
Or we could let them know by peace full methods how we all feel, remember that the guy putting a flower down the barrel of a tank has more impact than any of this charging on some poor sod who thinks that the flame is something to be proud of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pisses me off is them attacking people in this country and protesting on what used to be OUR streets about something happening thousands of miles away in THEIR country.

If they have such a big problem with it why dont they fuck off and protest over there?? Why should our country and our people be disrupted by them?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say one thing though. Look how good the Police motorbikes work in situations like this. talk about an advert for bikers.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
why dont they fuck off and protest over there?? Why should our country and our people be disrupted by them?

1. If they protest 'over there' they get rounded up and killed.

2. Our government welcomes China like the prodigal son.

So we're effectively giving our blessing to one of the worst nations on the planet, where human suffering is considerd 'no biggie'.

Can you even comprehend what I'm typing? Rolling Eyes

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

People protest in this country because they can.
In all seriousness I do think that the way China deals with Tibet does need addressing, but the protesters need to get at the business community and the Government that is in power at the time ( as all governments are just as bad when dealing with China)
Perhaps the only sign of peace that could be shown i.e. the Olympic torch could have been used better.
But you have to admit that there are alot of renta protest that seem to be everywhere whether it is tree felling, roads being built Tibet, pandas, save the slug or whatever.
I'm just glad, no matter what some may say, that these protesters could protest and I hope China is watching the responsible protesters and not the ones who invade others personal space, ironic when you think about what they are protesting about.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I hope China is watching the responsible protesters and not the ones who invade others personal space, ironic when you think about what they are protesting about.

And can you guess which ones will fill the tabloid press' pages tomorrow? No doubt there will be the usual images of protestors with bandanas and gritted teeth looking menacing. Same shit, different day and Joe Public is all too keen to swallow... Sick

Thumbs Down

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 23:25 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a bit of the run live at the gym, and while I thought the police did quite a good job of jogging along like something out of "In the line of fire" I was rather concerned by the image it gave out - namely that in a supposedly peaceful western democracy we can't even have a few Z-listers jog through the capital without 20 bicycle and TSU peelers forming a rolling cordon around them. I was also quite concerned to see Chinese security personnel operating on our streets in a role that was a lot more than a polite 'guest appearance'.

I think our politicians are the bad guys in this one - not Konnie Huq, the police or the majority of the protesters. You can't even really blame the Chinese for trying to put a positive spin on their image - the buck stops with Brown.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
I watched a bit of the run live at the gym, and while I thought the police did quite a good job of jogging along like something out of "In the line of fire" I was rather concerned by the image it gave out - namely that in a supposedly peaceful western democracy we can't even have a few Z-listers jog through the capital without 20 bicycle and TSU peelers forming a rolling cordon around them. I was also quite concerned to see Chinese security personnel operating on our streets in a role that was a lot more than a polite 'guest appearance'.

I think our politicians are the bad guys in this one - not Konnie Huq, the police or the majority of the protesters. You can't even really blame the Chinese for trying to put a positive spin on their image - the buck stops with Brown.

Brown is a sleazy cacksuhcker. Cheap chinese imports..."Let the people eat cake!"

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 06 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Even funnier, all the innocent people being murdered and tortured in Tibet by a sub-human, criminal occupying force.

Not to mention populating tibetan towns with chinese people. Sort of a subtle way of making it less Tibetan and more chinese.
Oh and preserving monasteries because they realise they attract tourists. Whereas before they wanted them destroyed
The chinese will claim to have given them a "modernised" Tibet. Sadly they didn't ask the Tibetans what they wanted.
Also the "western"world leaders to a man in public are seen to say how wonderful the Dalai Lama is, but then refuse to confront China. Probably far easier and more likely to win votes if you beat up Muslims.
I am told they want Taiwan as well.
Hey ho sorry for the disjointed post its late and beer has been drunk. Karma

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame some of the muslim fanatics don't follow the way of the Tibetan monks who sit quietly, poor petrol over themselves then light the match. ( before you say it Scotland was just a fuck up)
I have a lot of respect for the way most Tibetans hold their composure and try to protest in the only ways that they are permitted, it is just the rent-a-protester in this and other european countries that get on my nerves and they play right into the hands of the Chinese.

I bet if you put a map infront of 50% of the protesters they wouldn't be able to find Tibet. I know I had to google earth it.

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 07 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I bet if you put a map infront of 50% of the protesters they wouldn't be able to find Tibet. I know I had to google earth it.

I think Gordon Brown thinks its a Manchester suburb?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
It is a shame some of the muslim fanatics don't follow the way of the Tibetan monks who sit quietly, poor petrol over themselves then light the match. ( before you say it Scotland was just a fuck up)
I have a lot of respect for the way most Tibetans hold their composure and try to protest in the only ways that they are permitted, it is just the rent-a-protester in this and other european countries that get on my nerves and they play right into the hands of the Chinese.

Actually, in tibet there has been a lot of violence against chinese shop owners. Tibetans are understandably angry that many businesses in tibet are now chinese owned.

Police only intervened after it had got quite out of hand.

Im not saying that China has a right to occupy Tibet, but a lot of Tibetans have got tired of the peaceful ways of people like the Dalai Lama.

I know there is a growing trend in this country to prohibit peaceful protest, but I think people should be allowed to protest even if they dont know where Tibet is. Im now off to have a look myself. I've got a rough idea.

Im suspecting that it might be on a possibly handy route of a potential oil pipleine to the gulf states from china Smile sort of in line with iraq, iran and afghanistan

EDIT

what i didnt expect is that google maps have obligingly taken it off the map and the arrow just points to china Smile

theres obviously a lot to gain from working with china Smile

i managed to find a mpa elsewhere, and yes surprise surprise it is along a nice neat line that could be a route of an oil pipeline to the gulf states which would also go through the countries i mentioned

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 08 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

Untrue. Tibetan protestors turned nasty when peaceful protestors were gunned down in a massacre by Chinese state forces. On my original post on the topic there are the pictures of the dead lying in the temple.

Get the facts right FFS. Thumbs Down

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:18 - 08 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
colin1 wrote:

Untrue. Tibetan protestors turned nasty when peaceful protestors were gunned down in a massacre by Chinese state forces. On my original post on the topic there are the pictures of the dead lying in the temple.

Get the facts right FFS. Thumbs Down

no you are wrong

a radio 4 correspondent was in tibet and reported shops owned by han chinese being trashed while shops owned by tibetans were left alone

chinese were stoned in the street

the correspondent hid upstaits with some chinese

the correspondent even suggested that the authorities had deliberatly let it get out of control so they could justify the crack down that followed later, rather than nip it in the bud

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7308890.stm

get the facts right FFS Thumbs Down

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your argument is flawed. On the one hand you admit Chinese media is showing the Tibetans in a bad light to muster support for the killings and then you believe the stories (that's what they are - stories) about Tibetan protestors starting the violence. It just didn't happen that way.

But analysts say the reporting of the protests [in the media] is shaping attitudes within China, which were generally unsympathetic to Tibetans to start with.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7302625.stm

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh here you go Colin, some press releases from the 14th March regarding one of the earlier massacres by Chinese forces on peaceful protestors (not a small group of protestors at a later protest like in your post).

Around 50 monks from the Labrang Tashikyil Monastery staged a demonstration carrying the banned Tibetan national flag and called for "Tibetan Independence" around 2 p.m. (Beijing Time) today afternoon. Around 500 monks from the same monastery later joined the demonstration. The demonstration eventually grew into thousands when laypeople also joined in. The police started to fire live ammunitions in the air and started to beat when the demonstrators neared the Sangchu County Public Security Bureau headquarters

https://www.tchrd.org/press/2008/pr20080314b.html

violent blockage of peaceful demonstrators by the Chinese authorities have led to the current tension in Tibet. According to reports emerging from Tibet, 25 Tibetans have died during the tension on 14 March alone and hundreds of wounded Tibetans are hospitalized. Scores of Tibetans in various parts of Tibet have been arrested with many more midnight arrests and state sponsored enforced disappearances and arbitrary detentions to take place in the coming few days through police CCTVs.

https://www.tchrd.org/press/2008/pr20080315a.html

https://www.tchrd.org/press/

Still, you believe the Chinese/BBC's word about Tibetans getting violent first all you want. Middle Finger

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 12:48 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is Kris, you've chosen a source that's likely to be as biased and one-sided as the BBC or the PRC. As is usual in these matters, everyone takes sides based on what they thought before the incident - and then picks the media/government line that suits them, labelling it The Truth.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
you've chosen a source that's likely to be as biased and one-sided as the BBC or the PRC..

Well I don't believe they are as corrupt (especially when compared to the BBC ferchrissakes Shocked ) but hey-ho. <shrug>

Yea I quoted from a specific source I know, if Colin 'the obvious' wants to he can search for the other articles (AP, reuters, et al) which show how peaceful protests were broken up with either mass beatings or gunfire and killings, and that this prompted widespread dissidence.

.......zonk Neutral

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:11 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Mister James wrote:
you've chosen a source that's likely to be as biased and one-sided as the BBC or the PRC..

Well I don't believe they are as corrupt (especially when compared to the BBC ferchrissakes Shocked ) but hey-ho. <shrug>

'Bolded' for truth.

Personally I tend to agree with you, but it's only fair to point out that your chosen source has no more reason to be fair and impartial than the in-house newspaper of the PRC army.

You won't get any arguments from me on subject of the BBC being a big bag of monkey-spunk.

While it will come as little surprise to some of us, it turns out that the turquoise-suited Chinese flame 'attendants' are actually members of the same paramilitary units currently filling in Tibetan protestors!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/09/wtorch209.xml

Quote:
Officially described as "volunteers" by Beijing, the 30 blue track-suited guards were recruited from specialist squads in the People's Armed Police (PAP), a one-million strong force dedicated to maintaining public order.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
While it will come as little surprise to some of us, it turns out that the turquoise-suited Chinese flame 'attendants' are actually members of the same paramilitary units currently filling in Tibetan protestors!

Was going to point that out this morning - you beat me to it!

https://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/080408/w040863A.html

The chairman of the London 2012 Games, Sebastian Coe, was even more blunt.

"They tried to push me out of the way three times. They are horrible. They did not speak English. They were thugs," Coe, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, was quoted as saying in British media. A spokeswoman for the London 2012 Olympics committee confirmed that Coe was quoted accurately, but added that he thought he was making private comments.

Foreign paramilitary thugs, allowed to manhandle UK citizens. Rolling Eyes What a [non] suprise!

rhone81
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:59 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who's nickname is "Olympic Torch" due to the fact he never goes out.

https://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/getmecoat.gif

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
What pisses me off is them attacking people in this country and protesting on what used to be OUR streets about something happening thousands of miles away in THEIR country.

If they have such a big problem with it why dont they fuck off and protest over there?? Why should our country and our people be disrupted by them?

Because hopefully if the same happened here people over there would do it for us.

Congratulations you are now a card carrying NIMBY. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2