Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Banksy's new graffiti piece..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Banksy's new graffiti piece.. Reply with quote

Unveiled Monday I believe, Post Office depot on Newman Street, London.

Says it all IMO.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:00 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with CCTV?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong with CCTV?

Depends on where it is and what it's capable of looking at really doesn't it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:14 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know ppl moan about cctv, big brother and all that. But i think its great at catching criminals in the act providing useful evidence for convictions. Police cant be everywhere. Cameras everywhere is far more cost effective, and then police can respond.

Obviously there are some examples where people take it too far, like a pub that installed cctv in the loos, to stop ppl doing coke.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of wonder how he managed to do it, prolly under the nose of said CCTVs. Being bang in the middle of the West End, Newman St's not exactly "out of the way" of CCTVs, is it.

Maybe he found a little "blind spot" Mr. Green

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 16:18 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way he is worshipped by some probably means he can now do whatever he wants, like any other celebrity type.

His work is impressive, but I still think using stencils is cheating, regardless of how good the finished product is. Would much rather watch a free handed graffiti artist at work.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
i know ppl moan about cctv, big brother and all that. But i think its great at catching criminals in the act providing useful evidence for convictions. Police cant be everywhere. Cameras everywhere is far more cost effective, and then police can respond.

What high profile cases have been solved thanks to CCTV?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:05 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know where Mark Speight last was on the day of his disappearance. Laughing
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:53 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of that going around.

"And here the killer/victim was sighted boarding a bus/train/tube at such and such day/time"

Does it ever actually help much, not really. I'm sure thanks to CCTV we have faces of certain people we need to get hold of that we wouldn't have had otherwise, but it doesn't actually help us get to the bottom of things.

Meanwhile, at the expense of everyone being watched, doing everything, all of the time, regardless of their wishes, leading to lots of easy nicks for whicever enforcement agency is chasing whoever, to make the statistics look good.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:06 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
colin1 wrote:

Levi Bellfield, the Bus Stop Killer was only caught because his car was seen on CCTV....

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use cctv alot in my old job, saw it develope over the last 20 years and the way it is used. It is a good tool, but is only one element of a vast amount of tools required to detect and crack down on crime. If you rely on it too much then you loose the value of cctv.
Many times i had issues brought to me that cctv helped solve but it was not cctv that first found the issue. On the flip side things were found on cctv that gave rise to further investigation.

The way it is used at the moment to equate poor driving as only speed related is wrong, but I do see some cities are now using it to view junctions, bus lanes, etc to see poor driving standards and acting upon the evidence.

I could tripe out the old nuget and it is true to some extent, but it is also intrusive for the normal person too. I can see both sides and both have merit.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:08 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
colin1 wrote:

I dont see why only high profile cases are important.

Even better than solving a case is preventing one.

Police in my area have a central control room where they can view feeds from several cameras in local trouble spots.

They can then send out police just when a situation is developing before it gets out of hand.

Also they can provide evidence so prosecutions can be made. A lad I used to work with got convicted along with his mate after gbh, as the number plate of their car was caught on cctv after they left.

rhone81
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:19 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6jonny wrote:
Levi Bellfield, the Bus Stop Killer was only caught because his car was seen on CCTV....

From what I recall the original police investigation neglected to check vital CCTV tape. Whilst CCTV on this occasion did help catch a killer, it is only as good as the human tasked with looking at it. Despite CCTV footage the police failed to follow up the lead it presented them with in regards to Milly Dowler's murder.

A lot of the arguments against CCTV centre around it being the thin end of the wedge. Get the people used to being surveilled in a passive fashion and they more readily accept ever more intrusive methods.

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCTV is alright when tapes are looked at when a crime occurs.

But how long until everywhere is covered by cameras. Then how long till a law changes and every camera can trace everyone and where they are going. Once that occurs you get into major 1984 situations where the government knows who you are talking to, where you are going, what you are buying etc etc.

Same principle with ID cards containing all of our data. There is just SOOOO much scope for abuse by corporations and over zealous governments.

And for those of you who ridicule these outrageous thoughts, what do you think a Nectar card is? The cashback they give you is cheap compared to the value the companies get out of your spending habits. They know what you buy, where you buy it, when you buy it, patterns of products you buy.

With ID cards / mass surveillance it doesn't take much to push these current practices further till they know where you are going and who you are meeting etc.

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that CCTV can be very damning to a criminal, and it can be the one peice of evidence that achieves a conviction, but alot of dangerous criminals will have ways around this. I can tell you from experiance it is not hard to go into an unknown area and spot all the survielance without even being seen.

But all those who support CCTV, fuck you!
It is intrusive, a sham and is mainly intended as a tool against the people, not the theives.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 08:38 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intrusive? How?

Ok, so you're saying they can't follow murders with it, what fu**ing use is it watching you then?

Why do any of you actually give a toss?

I mean, you go into town and spend on your card, on that day they know what area you've been in. INTRUSIVE!
You go on holiday, they know where you went and where you spent your time. INTRUSIVE!

WTF Rolling Eyes

I don't give a toss, when i am caught on CCTV, they'll see me walking down the street, past the bin and the phone box and then across the road. INTRUSIVE! Surprised Arrgh i iz been watched!

I'm so paranoid about CCTV, Banksy right, we should abolish CCTV because someone saw me on a little monitor throw chewing gum in the park.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Intrusive? How?.

So by that logic lets install one in your living room and house then,

It appears that your posts here are an ignorance is bliss type arrangement thus the country goes down the toilet who cares my social life is great , doesn't affect me so what ?.

Oh those immigrants are so bad , oh charity is so bad (charity isn't charity we loan money to Africa and take extortionate amounts of interest from them or force them to buy things we make).

The problem is sometime in the future it may well affect you in a negative manner , and by then its too late.

Eventually one of these problems will affect you somehow and you may want to do something about it.

But then you may realise that you cannot.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for CCTV when it is to protect property.

But to be fair I was arrested a few times when younger but not once was it through CCTV, if you get caught by CCTV doing something, you are stupid enough to deserve to be caught.

CCTV is not hard to spot.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCTV cameras are great, we should all be watched 24/7 incase we are Al-CIAda or don't love our government. Of course, our esteemed leaders can of course be trusted with 'keeping us safe ltd.' for they'd never misuse any of our information and we've never had any kind of corrupt government in modern history have we? Governments love us, they are our friends to be trusted implicitly.

In fact, we should all be tracked and traced all day long, even as we sleep, with cameras in our houses, streets, cars, everything. That would stop all crime, wouldn't it! Wouldn't it?

Thumbs Down

Ah FFS, some people really are dumb.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:33 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
killa wrote:
Intrusive? How?.

So by that logic lets install one in your living room and house then,

It appears that your posts here are an ignorance is bliss type arrangement thus the country goes down the toilet who cares my social life is great , doesn't affect me so what ?.

Can you explain that first bit, it makes no sense.

So because the streets are being watched by CCTV the country is going down the toilet?
Ok, I’m up for you explaining why I should take more interest in the amount of CCTV on our streets. I will genuinely listen, but so far the thousands of cameras on our streets have not effected me.

Itchy wrote:
Oh those immigrants are so bad , oh charity is so bad (charity isn't charity we loan money to Africa and take extortionate amounts of interest from them or force them to buy things we make).

What the hell are you going on about Africa for?

Itchy wrote:
The problem is sometime in the future it may well affect you in a negative manner , and by then its too late.

Eventually one of these problems will affect you somehow and you may want to do something about it.

Can you list the problems?
If not, don’t mention, ‘one of them’
We’re talking about negative effects cameras have on me, joe public.

Itchy wrote:
But then you may realise that you cannot.

I really hate the HUGE drivethrough KFC they’ve built near my town, there isn’t much I can do about that. And that probably has more of a negative effect on me than cameras.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to know the really scary part. They are now linking up CCTV to facial recognition software. So when they see you they can pull up all your other details on the police database(if you're on it) or if they introduce ID cards they'll be able to pull up everyone's details.

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
I’m up for you explaining why I should take more interest in the amount of CCTV on our streets.

Because its a step down a path we as a society should not want to go down, and the further down it we go the less likely we will ever be able to come back.

So we have cameras watching our every move... not a problem.

We have audio devices that prevent the under 25's congregating in public places... not a problem.

What's next?

A curfew? logically crime happens at night so lets make everyone stay indoors after 9pm.

People die is road accidents, so lets ban private vehicles.

Of course we need to know who everyone is so lets bring in ID cards.

You might be a terrorist so lets lock you up for 90 day without trial while we look for some.

Hmmm we still have some rights so lets build prisons in other counties, after all it worked for the yanks (Quantanamo)

Is this really the world you want to live in? the more we roll over an accept these trivial matters such as cctv, facial recognition, biometric id the more we become government slaves.

"Papers please!"

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killa, its the fact that soon if they continue on the same road they're going down, they will know when you are in your house, they will know who you are meeting.

To put it in a biking perspective.

What if you come out of hospital and they say "Don't ride your bike for 3 months" or "Don't visit any pubs". Bit later you think, ah, I'll just have a quick ride around the block, or a quick pint.

Your motorbike gets triggered as being started and a CCTV camera catches you riding along the street (which is backed up because your compulsory ID chip (cards were made redundant years ago - Now you have a chip in your forearm) just triggered up on the system along with your motorbike.
*BOOM* - No more free healthcare for you maybe because you 'abused' your side of the deal.

Or you go into a pub which isn't going to harm anyone. Wander in and before you know it, you have to pay a big fine because your ID chip was detected entering the pub. It was also linked at the point of sale and knows exactly what you bought (yes, it was a pint of Carling, not an orange juice)

This sort of intrusion where the powers that be know everything that is going on cannot happen. You then end up with major social engineering where you get punished for talking with certain people, you get fines for certain decisions you make and a visit from the police for riding at 5 mph over the limit (because all vehicles are now obliged to have a Sat Nav unit attached)

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed something. Laughing

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 16 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Want to know the really scary part. They are now linking up CCTV to facial recognition software. So when they see you they can pull up all your other details on the police database(if you're on it) or if they introduce ID cards they'll be able to pull up everyone's details.

No, they've had that technology for years. Why do you think so much emphasis has been on clear images on driving licenses and passports. Facial recognition software has been with us for many years.

The really scary part is the movement pattern software, and the brain activity scanners (perceptrak) recently announced in the US media. Oh yes, cameras watch whilst computers create complex logarithms about your 'behaviour'. These were trialed at a London train station last year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/11/AR2008041103296.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

https://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/feb/09/neuroscience.ethicsofscience
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3