Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

That dog in That gallery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 20 Apr 2008    Post subject: That dog in That gallery Reply with quote

After seeing the article about the artist Guillermo Vargas Habacuc, took a dog from the street, he tied him to a rope in an art gallery, starving him to death.
I wondered what everyone elses POV is on the subject.

I wont say my piece until the right time. but please, let me know.

Cheers

CaNsA

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 20 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your piece is totally wrong, by the way Smile

But I'll see what everyone else says Razz

T

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:29 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing what can be called art these days, personally i would take a bit of rope tie the fucker up, starv him and call it art...........

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling it art is wrong. I can see the good side of doing it, if it brings attention to the problem of how many homeless hungry dogs there are dying on the local streets.

It is still cruel but then 'you've got to be cruel to be kind'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the dog didn't die and there's doubts that it was actually a stray anyway Rolling Eyes

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
But the dog didn't die and there's doubts that it was actually a stray anyway Rolling Eyes

I didn't say it died..

Like I said - cruel to be kind.

What difference does it make if it's a stray or not? It's one dog, that hasn't died so can't be in that much trouble. If it brings so much attention to the fact that there are so many others out on the local streets that need help and homes then where's the issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Toby R wrote:

I didn't say it died..

Like I said - cruel to be kind.

What difference does it make if it's a stray or not? It's one dog, that hasn't died so can't be in that much trouble. If it brings so much attention to the fact that there are so many others out on the local streets that need help and homes then where's the issue?

It says in the OP the dog died, and from what I've read, the exhibit seems to be more of a social study on group conformity anyway...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 11:08 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it died, maybe it didnt
there seems to be a bit of doubt on the net on the subject

if it had died, he might have been tempted to lie and say it hadnt to avoid being prosecuted for animal cruelty

if it was suffering from not being fed very much or at all, i think he should be prosecuted for animal cruelty

but i tend to trust wikipedia over other sources, and it sounds like it didnt suffer that much

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Vargas

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
the exhibit seems to be more of a social study on group conformity anyway...

Where did you read that?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Toby R wrote:
the exhibit seems to be more of a social study on group conformity anyway...

Where did you read that?

I doubt an artist would put go to the trouble of creating an exhibit to show people that homeless dogs exist... If he indeed had a point, it would've been that no one did anything to attempt to rescue the dog.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 11:18 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

but apparently they did after about 3 hours

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
I doubt an artist would put go to the trouble of creating an exhibit to show people that homeless dogs exist... If he indeed had a point, it would've been that no one did anything to attempt to rescue the dog.

He didn't exactly go to a lot of trouble though did he, get dog, tie die dog and step away.

It wasn't just about telling people that the homeless dogs exist, but showing them the condition they exist in/as. What better way to get a message across to people than showing them directly how bad things are. It has got the message around pretty far and wide really too hasn't it, anything less shocking lets say a painting of a suffering dog would have been forgotten instantly.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
anything less shocking lets say a painting of a suffering dog would have been forgotten instantly.

You ever get a chance to see the Face to Face exhibit at the Walker?

https://liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/exhibitions/facetoface/

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Scouse wrote:
anything less shocking lets say a painting of a suffering dog would have been forgotten instantly.

You ever get a chance to see the Face to Face exhibit at the Walker?

https://liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/exhibitions/facetoface/

No and I've never heard of it either which proves how effectively the dog has worked at spreading the word. Razz

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on another forum, you can probably guess what was being said by other posters.

I think that the artist has achieved what he aimed to do and it was a great success.

The public pay no attention to stray animals, yet the moment he takes a stay dog and places it on show there is a public outcry......

The animal would have died either way, the fact it died in a gallery and not on the street makes no difference. Assuming it died at all.....

I suspect that the vast majority of people who have signed petitions, forwarded emails, created groups on social networking sites, havent actually taken the time to do any research at all. I looked on the web and within 5mins i found what i was looking for.

Don't get me wrong, its a shame to see so many stray animals, but people who condemn before understanding just make me laugh....

My 2 pence

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The public pay no attention to stray animals, yet the moment he takes a stay dog and places it on show there is a public outcry......

Yeah but it wasn't an outcry about stray dogs, it was an outcry about animal cruelty.

Quote:
The animal would have died either way, the fact it died in a gallery and not on the street makes no difference. Assuming it died at all.....

Why would it of? It was still alive when the artist captured it, wasn't it? Indicating that it was probably doing quite well at living on its own? Smile In fact, it was far worse, as the artist took away the dogs ability to survive by tying it up in the first place!

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Yeah but it wasn't an outcry about stray dogs, it was an outcry about animal cruelty.

That's the point, the attention that this will get will obviously lead to people finding out that it was done to raise the awareness.

If it was me I wouldn't give a shit about being done for being cruel to that dog when I was getting enough attention/awareness to kick start some action into helping all the other strays out on the street.

Toby R wrote:
Why would it of? It was still alive when the artist captured it, wasn't it? Indicating that it was probably doing quite well at living on its own? Smile In fact, it was far worse, as the artist took away the dogs ability to survive by tying it up in the first place!

What state was it in when he caught it?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive read, he went and paid 2 little kids to capture the stray dog for him

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 12:39 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a cruel fvcker who I would love to beat to death.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 15:06 - 27 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, when will people realise feral animals are vermin.

Disease spreading, native animal killing and general not worthy of all this liberal fluffy stuff.

That said, no 'modern' art is actually art, interesting perhaps, but not art.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 27 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

That said, no 'modern' art is actually art, interesting perhaps, but not art.

Define art then matey.

This was an exhibition to draw attention to animal cruelty. Very Clever, Very Original, Totally thought provoking.

Last edited by CaNsA on 18:41 - 27 Apr 2008; edited 1 time in total

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:31 - 27 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then that makes it a 'stunt'. Climbing downing street dressed as Batman was also a 'stunt', pretences of art were never raised.

Art;

1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.

IE aesthetic criteria. Tracy emin and her bloody unmade beds, people with their tents full of ex boyfriends names, Turner prize bastardisation... Pfff, it's interesting perhaps. But its not aesthetically pleasing, and they tend to just have tenuously attached labels to tie them in.

This red canvas /symbolises/ capitalist opression of the proletariate.

Right.

There was a guy a while ago who invented a new shade of blue paint, so he painted loads of canvases ENTIRELY blue. Thats art?

For my money, and your average layman, art is something that is evocative, emotive, and most importantly.... isn't something we could do ourselves.

That Gunther guy who pickles bodies. Very interesting and I wouldn't mind going to an exhibit, but art? Yeh right.

It's only art because pompous artists say it is.

By your logic, every cunt in spain who ties their dog up in a field in the baking sun and remembers to feed it once a week are 'artists'.

Pfff.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1