Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

*Killa's bike review - Suzuki GSR600*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:35 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: *Killa's bike review - Suzuki GSR600* Reply with quote

Well my bike is in over night at the doctors, something wrong with the brakes lines…

I was told I could borrow a bike for a day or two while it is sorted Twisted Evil .
There was a choice, a GSF600 and a GSR600.
Well the GSF had actually been taken out by the time I got there, so I was left with the GSR600.

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/bike1.jpg
Actual bike i borrowed

First impressions

Well it’s a Suzuki so I’m obviously looking at the finish quality of the bike first off, and in my opinion it aint bad. If I’m honest it has been a few years since I thought Suzuki needed to get their act together on certain parts, I think they have got it together nowadays. I can’t stop looking at these ‘whacky’ flames though, is this meant to be cool?
The various different materials at first make the bike look rather odd, but after your eyes settle you can see that everything does makes sense, it just might be this odd colour scheme that’s got me puzzled. I’m not a big fan of naked sports bikes, I’ve been on my share of them and each one had something to offer but were always let down in my opinion by the lack of fairings and riding position.
I thought flames were cool in the 50’s, on hot rods, I can’t really take them off though it’s not my bike……ah well.

The guy at the show rooms explains that it is simply a naked GSXR with straighter bars and obviously more upright position. GSX600R swing arm and a few other bits you’ll recognise. To a dedicated sports bike rider like me this does seem like the worst combination you could have in a bike but this was time to try something new, I didn’t dislike the bike completely from the looks alone so I jumped on to have a feel.

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/Suzuki_GSR600_d9-050r.jpg

The dash as first reminds me of one of those shitty LCD pocket games from the 90’s, it’s pretty small but I kinda like the simplicity of it all on the front end. The bars are in a very natural position as are the mirrors. Not so much can be said for the other controls, the starter button, lights, horn, ignition key placement would all have to take some getting used to.
I quite like how the indicators are shaped into the body, a problem with looks of a lot of naked bikes are with the additional bits and bobs that are usually universal pap. Orange flames?! What the fuc* am I…....12?!

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/bike2.jpg

The ride

The gear box at first seems too light, as if I have to be careful, but then I realise it just seems more precise than my ZX7R’s box. Instantly I noticed just how easy this thing is to ride in this small car park space, I’m quite eager to see how this performs when ‘making progress’ later.
I hit town and traffic first off from the garage, when I suddenly realise that I’m riding a fuel injected bike….I had this sort of thing with the Fazer thou that I had for sometime, but it was worse with the Yam as you were struggling with a fair chunk of power and a jerky power delivery at low RPM.
I quickly get used to this niggle, I do ride quite aggressively so my revs are always dancing and I’m using the clutch quite a bit through the traffic. This bike is defiantly aimed at the commuter, I do think there are far too many of these though on the market, I’m trying to place this bike and it seems to fit nicely with the Bandit, the Z750 and the GSF I guess.

I filled the thing up constantly conscious of people looking at my bike thinking ‘I wonder if they think orange flames are cool?’ I hoped back on and made my way to the bypass near my destination. I came passed the lights and round one of my favourite local bends, I liked it, the front end gave me quite a bit of feel onto the road surface and as I put the power down, coming out the thing felt planted and I controlled it effortlessly. Onto the long straight I realise this GSR hasn’t quite got the same grunt as the earlier carb’d GSXR’s, but a bit of clutch slippage and some more beans and the engine makes a some really satisfying notes and you can defiantly feel the pull over 10K.
It’s about this point you can forget about the mirrors, doing anything a bit pacey on anything but perfect tarmac and everything in the mirrors reminds me of some bad trips from my college days.

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/bike3.jpg

At speed the bikes handling is sharp enough and has no head shake over rougher surface, that is of course unless you are putting it under heavy acceleration from low speeds as there is no damping. The two roundabouts on this stretch of road were taken without a worry and at speed, all you have to do is literally think and this bike glides around them as if on rails. I will say how ever, the complete lack of fairings sometimes can make your adjustments to steering awkward as you are buffeted around at national speed limits and above. The brakes work very well on the GSR in my opinion and give confidence, the front end is made up of four pot Tokico’s and 43mm telescopic fork with adjustable preload. Yes I think the brakes could be more powerful, but for the bikes power and weight I think they are adequate.

Overall thoughts

This could be an ideal bike for when you pass your full test, as I’m sure with a little more practice this thing would be a very capable bike on all sorts of roads. The swingarm set up and handling is superb.
Compared to the feel of my ZX7R it felt like I had chosen the easy class on an arcade game and was enjoyable for this reason. Perfectly capable to compete, but lacking in anything special/exciting when you come to know the machine a bit better.

Killa Cool Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool review, Your right i would be embarrassed with those flames too, they kill any chance it had in the looks department,

Is it me or did suzuki try and go for a MV Augusta/look rear end with the brake lights stepping in as the missing two pipes, it looks strange. Also it looks like they just took the tail unit/seat off a hornet.

And personally im really not sure about the crazy angular look at the front. Looks a bit like a CB500 on acid...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 13:54 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting review. sometimes i think id be better suited with an upright, sportsbike derrived bike rather than a sportsbike

i agree the flames look naff

are they just stickers that could be peeled off ?

Last edited by colin1 on 14:03 - 22 Apr 2008; edited 1 time in total

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for a nice review.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:11 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did you like the flames or not? Very Happy

Obviously it's a major factor in choosing the bike Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:11 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
interesting review. sometimes i think id be better suited with an upright, sportsbike derrived bike rather than a sportsbike

i agree the flames look naff

are they just stickers that could be peeled off ?

I find the supersport gives me no problems with position, maybe because im only 24. If you can deal with it, it's infinatly better than an upright.

Yeah, the stickers would come off no problem. Thumbs Up

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:12 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
So, did you like the flames or not? Very Happy

Obviously it's a major factor in choosing the bike Rolling Eyes

Goooo grease lightning! Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:58 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those flames surely can't be a standard Suzuki design?

From the sounds of it the Suzuki garage has stuck them on to stop people wanting to steal it, cause comeon who would ride around with ghey flames?!

My back up plan if I didn't get into uni was to get one of those bikes on Finance, they look like nice bikes, however I was shocked to see that they don't have upside down suspension.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gsr uses same engine as the gsxr 600. Nice bike.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:21 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Those flames surely can't be a standard Suzuki design?

I know, you wouldnt think it looking at their other designs. but iunfrotuantly it is.

Jon B wrote:
My back up plan if I didn't get into uni was to get one of those bikes on Finance, they look like nice bikes, however I was shocked to see that they don't have upside down suspension.

The ride quality from suspension setup is brilliant, so i wouldnt be that concerned. I just couldnt put up with the constant battering from the wind.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1