100%
 100%  [ 18 ]
Brown
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 07:52 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Tony Blair or Gordon Brown? Reply with quote

Now GB has had some time to "settle in", in hindsight who do you think had been the better PM/leader?

After yesterdays "U-Turn" on the 10p tax rate the BBC reported mutterings of "this wouldn't have happened under Tony Blair". Which could be an indication that Browns leadership is under threat.

Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:20 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither they are as bad as each other, the only difference is that TB to some people had some charisma and thus could deflect some of the blows that were struck against him.

Ie when Walterwolfgang was arrested as a terrorist , he said yeah whatever....

Nobody seems to have learnt from history , those who seek power are least suitable to hold it.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the option for "Neither, both are lying cheating criminal scum"?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Thumbs Up

kitty kat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Thumbs Up

I would vote for neither as well

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 08:57 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a moot question. Tony Blair has bailed just prior to the shit hitting the fan. Regardless of present PM, neither would be popular at the minute as the good times are coming to an end.

I think Blair bailed intentionally, so history remembers him as the successful PM. People are very short sighted and the current problems facing the UK will be landed squarely on Browns new government, not on the past follies of Teflon Tony.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:24 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO they are both shite, GB went through a honeymoon period initially but in my eyes he seems to care more about keeping "terrorists" in custody for 42 days than helping out the average citizen in these economic times of need.

Apparantly a Poll yesterday put Tories with 46% of vote, labour 26% and Lib Dems 17%.

I assume there will be an election next year, although GB will probably use 5 years and go for the election in 2010.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Grav
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither.

Blair sent our armed forces to war based on Lies, then denied he ever lied, then the guy that wrote the report and called Blair a liar was found suspiciously bereft of life.

Gordon Brown has betrayed the very people that Labour was founded to fight for by doubling the tax burden upon them whilst pandering to the rich.

Stalin would be so proud of those two

snigger..... Very Happy

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:23 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough I passed a "vote labour" sign on somebodys house today. I just couldnt comprehend how anyone could still be thinking in favour of them.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
but in my eyes he seems to care more about keeping "terrorists" in custody for 42 days than helping out the average citizen in these economic times of need.

Oh, I dunno - he's making a grand job of stuffing the bank shareholders' wallets with our taxes. Which have magically become suddenly available when they weren't previously available for plugging the pensions hole.

400 years ago, they knew how to sort out these fuckers...

Quote:
It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do; I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place; go, get you out!

Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:49 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, that I thought TB would be ok before he got in, but I thought the invasion of Iraq was misguided bordering on criminal. I dont like thinking about the number of people who died as a result of TB thinking it would be a good idea.

I thought GB would be better, he seems more of a sensible chap, but one of the first things he does is increase taxes on poor people. Annoyingly, I also have to realise that I am one of these poor people. £18k is an aspirational wage for me, so i find it a bit depressing when the news talk about low earners being 18k and under. So I disapprove of that morally, and also because it may well hurt me personally.

However Cameron seems more of a tit than GB. I havnt got much faith in any of them but I dont think I'm the only one.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Strangely enough I passed a "vote labour" sign on somebodys house today. I just couldnt comprehend how anyone could still be thinking in favour of them.

Because some people have benefited enourmously from Labour, a certain bank with a H an S and B and a letter in the word Carrot

This bank effectively owns the NHS as Labour by stealth sold it to them and its making a mint out of the NHS.

Also council workers , in that the 3 million jobs created by the government you know like litter wardens diversity monitoring officers, 5 a day coordinators with some of the diversity/5 a day coordinator jobs paying up to 35K.

As said in yet another post council workers always give jobs to their family and friends and go through the motions of hiring outsiders.

Also those on tax credits , GB has intentionall made a huge underclass dependent on tax credits who are effectively bribed to vote for him. When a much better solution would be a personal allowance of up to 10,000.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Weedy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 26 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Education. Education. Education."

So, now we have teachers on strike because the Govt. won't give them a 4% payrise. Wasn't too long ago we had Firemen/women on strike because of the total lack of payrise. I don't know if anyone saw the pictures in the paper of RAF Brize Norton recently, but that's a total mess.

They're clearly doing a great job of looking after the people that look after the country. What hope is there for the "normal" people? Rolling Eyes

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 26 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedy wrote:
"Education. Education. Education."

So, now we have teachers on strike because the Govt. won't give them a 4% payrise. Wasn't too long ago we had Firemen/women on strike because of the total lack of payrise. I don't know if anyone saw the pictures in the paper of RAF Brize Norton recently, but that's a total mess.

They're clearly doing a great job of looking after the people that look after the country. What hope is there for the "normal" people? Rolling Eyes

Nope.... they forgot about something called the ruthlessness of humans in that teachers got a fairly big rise a few years ago, but as with negotiations giving in just means that they demand more in the future.

The general issue is one of inflation, CPI does not include housing taxes , food and has a luxury weighted measure that assumes things always get cheaper , ie an IPOD 2 years ago was erm £100 for example , CPI calculates it at £75 now thus supressing inflation

RPI is better but still not perfect @ 3.8% . thus you get less than CPI or RPI ineffect it is a pay cut...

The bread index + petrol index is best , the loaf I buy is the same as last year its now £1.32 , it was 98p last year , petrol this time last year was also about 95p and is now 111p thus inflation is between 12-25%.

The government are going to try inflate their way out of the 3.26 trillion of debt, its the only trick they have left, 3.26 trillion seems alot infact it is alot, but if you devalue your currency by 50% the 3.26 trillion isn't a comodity like oil or rice, and thus in effect is 1.63 trillion after severe inflation.

As said what this means is that by 2020 people will be paid £100 an hour min wage, unfortunately a loaf of bread will be £50, it happened in the 1970s it'll happen again.

Older people always say half a crown would buy enough to go out on the town have a meal go to the cinema have a few pints and get the bus home.

by 2030, we'll be saying to young 'uns you don't know you are born, when I was a lad, I was paid £80 a day, but £80 used to buy alot of stuff then , while in 2030 will buy NOTHING , which is why nobody should save for a pension £200 a week sounds alot now for a pension , but by 2050 it'll be worthless.

Weedy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 26 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy, that post was pretty interesting.

I'm off to fill in an emigration form now. Laughing

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 13:07 - 26 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, saving for a pension is a wasted exercise, and there will be no state pension for anyone by the time I get there...

What exactly does that leave us as an option when we are too old to work?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 26 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:

Our government will take care of us, nothing to worry about there, just keep your head down and pay your taxes.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 04:11 - 27 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
So, saving for a pension is a wasted exercise, and there will be no state pension for anyone by the time I get there...

I predict that those who save for their retirement will be penalised, as the state pension will be means tested. While those who live now pay later, will have no problems getting a full state pension.

Jaloopa
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:09 - 28 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Blair was voted in. Brown just inherited the title.

Democracy? What democracy?

speed1
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:45 - 29 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

please shoot both of them lol

current: Honda Hornet 600F6

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
I have to admit, that I thought TB would be ok before he got in, but I thought the invasion of Iraq was misguided bordering on criminal. I dont like thinking about the number of people who died as a result of TB thinking it would be a good idea.

People join the army to go to war.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

And it's the governments responsibility to not use them in an illegal invasion of another country.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

Did you put any thought into that?

The only wars our troops should be involved in is ones that are TRULY and honestly to defend our country.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaloopa wrote:
At least Blair was voted in. Brown just inherited the title.

Democracy? What democracy?

If you call 22% of the electorate (2005) and 25% of the electorate democracy....

(44 million voters in 2001 , about 46 in 2005)

which means if you include the entire population Labour got in with 16,3% of the UK people voting for them.

16.3% and they get a massive majority...

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 01 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
WildGoose wrote:

Our government will take care of us, nothing to worry about there, just keep your head down and pay your taxes.

One does hope that was meant to be tougue in cheek. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2