Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Say Mister James?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:28 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Say Mister James? Reply with quote

Precis 'Prisons cushy'

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7366258.stm

As said many a time before time to bring Abu Graib to the UK or better yet UK prisoners to Abu Graib?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 08:37 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everthope is a Cat C nick - so is mostly either toffs serving out an easy stint for white collar crimes, or long-term lags who are approaching the end of long sentences and are being prepared for release. Neither group are hugely likely to endanger their privileged status or impending release date by cocking about.

As the HMP spokesman said - they would still be locked down at night, so ladders over the fence wouldn't do them a huge amount of good unless they burst out their room. It's likely that only a couple of people (at most) knew about the break in, and they would probably be the dealers who wouldn't want to break out and lose their captive market!

In general though, prisons are often cushier than those of us on the outside might want. They are run to protect the sensibilities of the HMP senior management and prominent do-gooders, rather than to ensure that society is protected or the prisoner is assisted to 'go straight'.

If you think prison is bad, you should see my place (which I leave in 2 weeks - yippee!). It's so plush I've actually had to bend up three people and throw them out of the front gate when Immigration accepted their arguments and released them! Before anyone jumps in and says "They're not criminals" - over half of my charges ARE serious criminals; who have often been released early to free up space in prisons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:39 - 27 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention that the chap quoted in the above story is one of the guys who masterminded the recent Screws' strike - so he does have something of an axe to grind.

His union - the POA - is looking to get HMPS management lots of negative publicity, so that the union can press for concessions with the weight of public opinion behind them. I'm actually a member myself, but it doesn't really affect me as I'm private sector (for another 5 shifts).

That said, I'd better not slag him off too much - I've just had terms of reference for an investigation issued against me for a Use of Force incident that I supervised/instigated. I might need a union rep!

Evil or Very Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1