Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Two Bikers Killed In 140mph Road Race

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NexusDragon
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:28 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Two Bikers Killed In 140mph Road Race Reply with quote

Not good. Not good at all. Confused

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7392608.stm

Brock
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst I sympathize with the families of the dead bikers, ride at those speeds on public roads and every other road user is at risk of death as well.

Brock
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst I sympathize with the families of the dead bikers, ride at those speeds on public roads and every other road user is at risk of death as well.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a wide quiet road from the small picture. If I had a bike that could do 140 easily then I might be doing the same. Whats the difference between a road like that and a motorway? nowt, except the motorway has a lot more people on it.

Just my opinion.

pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a motorway doesn't have 2 way traffic or side roads.

Mark

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
And a motorway doesn't have 2 way traffic or side roads.

Mark

True true. I had considered that. If we are going to be really picky, a 4 lane motorway at 3 in the morning monday>sunday is the best Smile.

I personally would rather speed on a country road than a motorway for many reasons. Not least of all that a motorway is boring Laughing

Pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Brock
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

public roads are public roads, motorway or country lanes it makes no difference. thankfully they only killed themselves. may be harsh but if the road was suitable for those speeds they would not have had the crash.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

"An eye-witness told the court that Mr Thornton and Mr Thompson appeared to be racing each other at somewhere in the region of 140mph."

And we all know how reliable eye witness statements are... Rolling Eyes They were probably doing half that speed.
steppen22 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:06 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article reads as though the lorry driver pulled out without seeing the motorcyclists and they both didn't have enough time to react before hitting the vehicle. If that was the case then the bikers weren't 100% at fault for the accident, although there's no denying they were breaking the speed limit and possibly riding dangerously.

m_hill19
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:
Oh well, a couple of idiots off the road for good.

I'm just glad that it was a lorry: so that those responsible for the accident suffered the consequences. Usually it's the other way round: the idiots who cause the accident get a few scratches whilst innocent bystanders pay with their limbs and lives.

Say it was young girl on a horse, or a couple of cyclists, taking that turn, or a light car. Then we'd be looking at murder.

There's speeding, and there's speeding. There are few circumstances where 140 is morally acceptable. That road clearly wasn't one of them.

could you explain to me how it would be murder?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
The article reads as though the lorry driver pulled out without seeing the motorcyclists and they both didn't have enough time to react before hitting the vehicle. If that was the case then the bikers weren't 100% at fault for the accident, although there's no denying they were breaking the speed limit and possibly riding dangerously.

At the speed they were said to be doing though they'd cover a large distance very quickly.

Mark

Cannon
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:34 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:

I'm just glad that it was a lorry: so that those responsible for the accident suffered the consequences. Usually it's the other way round: the idiots who cause the accident get a few scratches whilst innocent bystanders pay with their limbs and lives.

Say it was young girl on a horse, or a couple of cyclists, taking that turn, or a light car. Then we'd be looking at murder.

There's speeding, and there's speeding. There are few circumstances where 140 is morally acceptable. That road clearly wasn't one of them.

So what your actually saying is that it's fine for two riders to pay for a bit of fun with their lives - be realistic son. They went out knowing the risks and chose to ride fast, ultimately what happened cannot be changed but calling them idiots and being glad they are off the roads is absolutly ridiculous.

RIP fella's - I didn't know you but the fact you died deserves respect non the less.

samharcus
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:49 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannon wrote:

So what your actually saying is that it's fine for two riders to pay for a bit of fun with their lives - be realistic son. They went out knowing the risks and chose to ride fast, ultimately what happened cannot be changed but calling them idiots and being glad they are off the roads is absolutly ridiculous.

RIP fella's - I didn't know you but the fact you died deserves respect non the less.

Seconded. RIP, and my thoughts are with your families.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbish.

If you want "fun", go to Alton Towers. At that speed, you get what's comin to ya.

I wasn't saying that they "deserved" to die, I'm saying, they deserved to a lot more than any number of vulnerable road users they could have killed with such reckless riding. It would be a tragedy if they took anyone elese down with them. As it was, karma: poke at the 100T anvil, it's gonna fall.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 10 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:
Rubbish.

If you want "fun", go to Alton Towers. At that speed, you get what's comin to ya.

I wasn't saying that they "deserved" to die, I'm saying, they deserved to a lot more than any number of vulnerable road users they could have killed with such reckless riding. It would be a tragedy if they took anyone elese down with them. As it was, karma: poke at the 100T anvil, it's gonna fall.

Betcha too scared to go over a ton Wink

Pyro

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my bike for two days stepphen and allready I've rode it faster than 'Queen Rita' at alton towers, the only difference is that I'm sure I'd get bored of 120mph on a roller coaster far faster than I would on my mini crotch rocket.

I was gunna tell you to piss off but that would be a bit slack, you're only new here so shut the fuck up instead Wink

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 04:43 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyroforlife wrote:
steppen22 wrote:
Rubbish.

Betcha too scared to go over a ton Wink

Pyro

a shame they werent, as maybe they'd be alive if they were

fear is natures way of keeping you alive

there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness

Cannon
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:17 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steppen - Do you actually ride a bike capable of 140mph ?
My bike is slow compared with most but TBH 140MPH is nothing a even a short straight. If you read the story you will find it says nothing about any other people other than the truck which pulled out on them, it's not like they were doing it outside a scholl at lunchtime is it. Look at the photo, it's a straight country road FFS, if you don't like the fact that people do this kind of riding fine, but there's no need to start saying they got what the deserved - death for a bit of fun - be real !!

Jenkinz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:47 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock wrote:

Agree with that totally

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

a shame they werent, as maybe they'd be alive if they were

fear is natures way of keeping you alive

there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness

It's also a way to show between those who stand up for themselves and those who don't.

Fear can be good or bad. But I'd say it's mostly bad.
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:31 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:

The Kittens! Think of the KITTENS!!!

alec_h
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly my point made in another topic about the 147mph bike video

i was told "they were in control of their motorcycles" in that clip as were the bikers here, but the lorry happend to get in the way of them...

I suppose bazza might want to argue otherwise though

Dappa D
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2