England evicts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:36 - 16 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
Pretty sure China tried that already and that was a bad move. The one child policy ensured that all second or third children were either abandoned as street orphans or were murdered after birth.

With somewhat different traditions here that isn't likely to be an issue, and it is hardly like I am saying that they can only have one kid.

As to population, halve it then maybe start to stabilise it.

All the best

Keith

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:43 - 16 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thing about the China situation, although highly off-topic is what my China lecturer told us a few weeks ago.

Apparantly now it is getting difficult for men to find girlfriends, what with the shortage of girls that has occured over the past years.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

With somewhat different traditions here that isn't likely to be an issue, and it is hardly like I am saying that they can only have one kid.

As to population, halve it then maybe start to stabilise it.

All the best

Keith

yes and thats going to work isn't it? ,

I just read some rather horrifying statistics today, 5 million house holds in the UK has nobody in full time work places like rochdale and hull have 50% ....

The camel's back is near breaking point I think other stats are that its getting close to 35% of the population supporting 65% of non workers.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
An interesting thing about the China situation, although highly off-topic is what my China lecturer told us a few weeks ago.

Apparantly now it is getting difficult for men to find girlfriends, what with the shortage of girls that has occured over the past years.

Yep and so they are going into neighbouring countries and buying or in some cases kidnapping women to be their wives, which is kinda a really bad thing.

China will see a large population drop at some point in the next few decades though.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
China will see a large population drop at some point in the next few decades though.

Aw, who are they gonna get to make shit bikes then?

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeR wrote:
Aw, who are they gonna get to make shit bikes then?

I remember hearing about a city that has outlawed them in China so there are giant fields of poor quality motorbikes rotting away so they got those to sell us still Thumbs Up.

In fact here is one of them Wink
https://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/14/world/15China600.jpg

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 19 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreed with Kieth on the child benefit payment part and thought the way he was explaining it wasn't making a law so people couldn't have children but more along the lines of if they can't be supported then don't have them.

I think another problem with population is the advances in medicine and health care, I was listening to some rambling about creating embryo's on the radio for medical research and couldn't help but think why do we need to keep people alive for so long? How great is the quality of life going to be for us when we hit 75-85? I'm not saying that people should be killed off but after a certain point left to nature to decide not unnecessarily prolonged.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:21 - 20 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should all rely on what I am relying on , replacement body parts and or cybernetics either full blown replacement limbs al la ghost in the shell and bodies or full body exoskeletons to enable you to live as normal(ish) ,

the US military have already developed exoskeletons I think they will flop for combat purposes as complex exos defeat the point of infantry (cheap and expendable low maintenance), and this has many civilian uses.

Either that or pratice wushu alot, I've met quite a few really old men who practice everyday and are fit as a fiddle.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 20 May 2008    Post subject: Re: England evicts Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
We seem to have lots on Scotland wanting to devolve from England, Wales wants its own assembly and rules. Why don't we just vote on if we , The English, should allow Wales, Scotland, Northen Ireland and all the other little British hangers on Stay part of the English Empire, small as it is now. Lets kick the whole lot. Build our walls and keep the buggers out.

Its British empire Middle Finger Evil or Very Mad If you feel that strongly about it, why dont you build a wall around yourself? then we can fill it with water. It has never been an English empire and never will. You get rid of wales, scotland norn ironland, and the others, you will just have England, not an empire.
And im completly against the Welsh assembly, and going independant, and its up to the people, in that area what they want, not what you want.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:31 - 20 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr, last time I checked we no longer had an identifiable empire.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:51 - 20 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

plugger147 wrote:
I think another problem with population is the advances in medicine and health care, I was listening to some rambling about creating embryo's on the radio for medical research and couldn't help but think why do we need to keep people alive for so long?

Tend to agree, although one of the hopes for the stem cell research is to be able to repair aged and badly damaged tissue.

Living a long time while reasonably able to do what you enjoy is a great. Being kept alive as a pretty immobile aged brain, unable to do anything doesn't appeal to me at all.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2