Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

untaxed bike rate only 6.5 %

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

karidian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: untaxed bike rate only 6.5 % Reply with quote

Just read in MCN news section that a recent road tax survey by the government using cameras has put the rate of untaxed motorbikes at only 6.5%. far cry from the 40% earlier this year.
The article states "government data on bike tax evasion 'could have been made up'".
Headline news when the 40% figure is published but ive heard bugger all about the 6.5% and i think the biking community will be waiting till hell freezes over for an official apology for branding us all criminals.. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Re: untaxed bike rate only 6.5 % Reply with quote

karidian wrote:
Just read in MCN news section that a recent road tax survey by the government using cameras has put the rate of untaxed motorbikes at only 6.5%. far cry from the 40% earlier this year.
The article states "government data on bike tax evasion 'could have been made up'".
Headline news when the 40% figure is published but ive heard bugger all about the 6.5% and i think the biking community will be waiting till hell freezes over for an official apology for branding us all criminals.. Mad

Why do we need an apology? You've taxed your bike and you know you have so it doesn't matter. They didn't brand all bikers criminals, only 40% and that could be any 40%. It may or may not include you.

DidierD
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:43 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Re: untaxed bike rate only 6.5 % Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

Why do we need an apology? You've taxed your bike and you know you have so it doesn't matter. They didn't brand all bikers criminals, only 40% and that could be any 40%. It may or may not include you.

40% is a pretty big figure and the general public do like to generalise so it does have a big impact on our reputation. So an apology would be due .... but that is quite a laughable sugestion that that will ever happen Laughing

31st March 2008 - Fully converted from four wheels to 2 sets of two wheels Very Happy

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Re: untaxed bike rate only 6.5 % Reply with quote

DidierD wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:

40% is a pretty big figure and the general public do like to generalise so it does have a big impact on our reputation. So an apology would be due .... but that is quite a laughable sugestion that that will ever happen Laughing

If we get an apology, I'll drink my own piss, no kidding Laughing

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:52 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do get an apology you can be sure it'll be a tiny little paragraph in a crap newspaper, not sprawled across headlines like normal bad publicity against bikers is Rolling Eyes

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 17 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
If we do get an apology you can be sure it'll be a tiny little paragraph in a crap newspaper, not sprawled across headlines like normal bad publicity against bikers is Rolling Eyes

Let's hope so or else I'll be drinking salty 37°c yellow ammonia Sick Mr. Green

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Let's hope so or else I'll be drinking salty 37°c yellow ammonia Sick Mr. Green

I have to go watch Dodgeball now you bastard Mr. Green

"Necessary? Is it necessary for em to drink my own piss?!"

"Probably not..."

"Well I do, because it's sterile and I like the taste"

Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 01:30 - 19 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike isn't axed atm I'm waiting for the Log book from DVLA

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 19 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
My bike isn't axed atm I'm waiting for the Log book from DVLA

I'm pretty sure you can tax it with the new keepers supplement?
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

alec_h
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:59 - 19 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing about 6% is the 'typical', so to speak, 16 year old rider who's managed to get hold of a moped lawfully or otherwise.

I could be completely wrong though! Just the general impression I get from programs like 'Road Wars' !! awesome program Mr. Green

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually pissed me of quite a bit. The other day I was listening to the radio and there was an advert which said, bike tax evaders will get their bikes confiscated, will face a fine and could even have their bike crushed, then said something shitty like, don't think you can avoid bike tax! Like we're all shifty and trying to avoid it, it makes us appear worse than cars, and we need our own advert aimed at us!

I've always taxed my bike, and will continue to do so, but I don't think it's fair criminalising us, giving us our own advert. There is no reason why the couldn't have just replaced "bike" with "vehicle"

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 19 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec_h wrote:
I'm guessing about 6% is the 'typical', so to speak, 16 year old rider who's managed to get hold of a moped lawfully or otherwise.

I could be completely wrong though! Just the general impression I get from programs like 'Road Wars' !! awesome program Mr. Green

I've watched sutch shows for aslong as I can remember... great entertainment.
However if you watch them properly then you may realise how biased the commentry is, that and they rarely show the criminals getting away, if they do they allways hint there is a reason or something for us to learn about Rolling Eyes .
These programs are POLICE PROPAGANDA, very fun to watch but DON'T EVER take them seriously.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 21 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but next year 2009 the road tax for bikes doubles , apparently
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DidierD
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:05 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
yes but next year 2009 the road tax for bikes doubles , apparently

Well not on ALL bikes, just some select ones but most will go up I think ye...

“Changes to the law mean cars emitting less than 100g of CO2 per kilometre travelled would be exempt from paying Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax), while motorcycles are still required to pay.

This was outlined by Chancellor Alistair Darling in his first budget, under the auspices of rewarding motorists for driving ‘green’ vehicles.

Despite Darling’s aim, the rate of road tax paid by motorcyclists is set to double in 2009, with the annual charge for a typical 125cc commuter bike set to grow from £15 per year at present, to £33 in 2009.

31st March 2008 - Fully converted from four wheels to 2 sets of two wheels Very Happy

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
This actually pissed me of quite a bit. The other day I was listening to the radio and there was an advert which said, bike tax evaders will get their bikes confiscated, will face a fine and could even have their bike crushed, then said something shitty like, don't think you can avoid bike tax! Like we're all shifty and trying to avoid it, it makes us appear worse than cars, and we need our own advert aimed at us!

I've always taxed my bike, and will continue to do so, but I don't think it's fair criminalising us, giving us our own advert. There is no reason why the couldn't have just replaced "bike" with "vehicle"

I heard that and was thinking why are they only focusing it on bikes. Probably because it's summer now and some people wouldn't have taxed it over winter and may take the risk.

I think they said the fine was £5000 for leaving your bike SORN while riding it around.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DidierD wrote:

“Changes to the law mean cars emitting less than 100g of CO2 per kilometre travelled would be exempt from paying Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax), while motorcycles are still required to pay.

This was outlined by Chancellor Alistair Darling in his first budget, under the auspices of rewarding motorists for driving ‘green’ vehicles.

Despite Darling’s aim, the rate of road tax paid by motorcyclists is set to double in 2009, with the annual charge for a typical 125cc commuter bike set to grow from £15 per year at present, to £33 in 2009.

Something seriously needs to be done about that. Completely alienating bikers Evil or Very Mad

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
DidierD wrote:

Something seriously needs to be done about that. Completely alienating bikers Evil or Very Mad

What can you do though? The governemnt would never listen.

It is stupid as people may actually decide to get out of their car, do their CBT and buy a CG125 which would reduce emissions and congestion Rolling Eyes

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

It is stupid as people may actually decide to get out of their car, do their CBT and buy a CG125 which would reduce emissions and congestion Rolling Eyes

Stop the country? Or block London with bikes. It wouldn't be jsut a few select people. Everyone, regardless whether they have a car/bike or they like it or don't. Also with the fuel prices and all this fucking tax bollocks.

The French have one thing right and that's standing up against the government. We let the government ram what they please wherever they please.

Evil or Very Mad

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:

Stop the country? Or block London with bikes. It wouldn't be jsut a few select people. Everyone, regardless whether they have a car/bike or they like it or don't. Also with the fuel prices and all this fucking tax bollocks.

The French have one thing right and that's standing up against the government. We let the government ram what they please wherever they please.

Evil or Very Mad

It'd never happen though because as you said, we don't stick up for ourselves against the government.

Plus your not really aloud to stick up for yourself as there is the 1 mile radius around parliment that you can't protest in or else you'll get arrested for terrorism Rolling Eyes

Catalyst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:

I like that, bikes don't have radios unless your on a goldwing or something similar. So your not going to hear the advert unless your at work Laughing

Can't believe the difference, 40% down to 6.5% thats not a mistake at all. They over-estimated it by 30% that is purposely done or they have a bunch of monkeys working out their statistics.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:08 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricanehollis wrote:
..over-estimated it by 30% that is purposely done or they have a bunch of monkeys working out their statistics.

...haven't you heard, it's lies, damn lies and statistics.

I'm sure you could prove with statistics that black is in fact white, and then get run down on the next zebra crossing (apologies to Douglas Adams).

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

karidian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - the government make up the figures as they go along. They make us out to be criminals (a high percentage anyway) and when they are proved wrong or caught out they just pretend it never happened. Lost all faith in the UK government. If i won the lottery tomorrow id emigrate Mad

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

It'd never happen though because as you said, we don't stick up for ourselves against the government.

Plus your not really aloud to stick up for yourself as there is the 1 mile radius around parliment that you can't protest in or else you'll get arrested for terrorism Rolling Eyes

And that's the sort of attitude that stops everything Wink

"oh but other people aren't going to do it so why should I?"

I'd attend every single riot/campaign to stop all this bollocks. Hell I'd even "organise" it but I don't think many people are going to listen to a 19 year old with barely any political/government knowledge.

Also, you don't have to protest around parliament. Just block all the main roads into London with bikes/cars/lorries, etc.

People won't be able to go in, nor go out. They might get pissed off but I'd hope some might realise what we are trying to aim for and actually join and say "Fuck you".

alec_h
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:31 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Fawkes was a hero at the end of the day. Why we 'celebrate' his death is beyond me!

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 23 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
And that's the sort of attitude that stops everything Wink

"oh but other people aren't going to do it so why should I?"

I never said I wouldn't join in.

m0l0t0v wrote:
I'd attend every single riot/campaign to stop all this bollocks. Hell I'd even "organise" it but I don't think many people are going to listen to a 19 year old with barely any political/government knowledge.

Get Hetzer onboard Wink

m0l0t0v wrote:
Also, you don't have to protest around parliament. Just block all the main roads into London with bikes/cars/lorries, etc.

People won't be able to go in, nor go out. They might get pissed off but I'd hope some might realise what we are trying to aim for and actually join and say "Fuck you".

That's terrorism Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2