Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Zanulabour wants more of your money (carbon trading)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 26 May 2008    Post subject: Zanulabour wants more of your money (carbon trading) Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7419724.stm

carbon trading but at a personal level

ie we want even more of your money as tax, I wonder how on earth Labour got 12000 people to vote for them at the Crewe Election.....

But hey gotta fill that 6.2 trillion black hole in the country's finances some how right?.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 26 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The MPs admitted members of the public were likely to be opposed to the move, but urged the government to be "courageous".

Their report said: "Persuading the public depends on perceptions of the government's own commitment to reducing emissions, and of the priority given to climate change in its own decision making."

It feels like I'm being slapped across the face with a big wet fish.

- They know the public will oppose it.
- It takes courage to stand up against the public and do what they want anyway.
- They need to 'persuade' or 'brainwash' the public to get them to do what they want.

Quote:
He said it could be administered by the private sector, following the model of supermarket loyalty schemes in which a complex computer system is accessed by a "single plastic card".

This has mega-fail written all over it.

Quote:
But Mr Benn said there were problems with the plan: "It's got potential but, in essence, it's ahead of its time, the cost of implementing it would be quite high, and there are a lot of practical problems to overcome."

Mr Benn said that the report found the cost of introducing the scheme would be between £700 million and £2 billion, and would cost £1bn-£2bn a year to run.

It's ahead of its time because for it to be effective they need the national compulsory id system going first, then they can steamroll ahead with it.

Quote:
There would also be difficulties in deciding how to set the rations, taking into account a person's age, location and health.

Rations... We'll probably be hearing a lot more words like that in the future.

What makes these assholes think that carbon is the big gold key to let them change the climate anyway? It's a bit big headed to think that you can change nature, reminds me of the story about king canute turning the tide.

Shouldn't we be spending this money thinking up ways to adapt to a more brutal climate rather than thinking we can just change the course of nature?

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 26 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally impractical.

What happens if you take a flight and its empty, what if if its full? What happens if you're a goody two shoes and always take the bus to work, but you work 11pm to 6am so no one else is ever on it?

Its hair-brained, (although I'd probably do quite well out of it.)

Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:02 - 26 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Stuff like this is likely coming. Main chance of avoiding it is having a small government (ie, one that doesn't believe the answer to everything is to build a new monolithic bureaucracy).

Anyone who thinks that they will do well out of it will likely be in for a nasty surpise. Possibly not quite as badly hammered. The reductions on CO2 emissions that are talked about are ever increasing. Just as the public get used to talk of a 60% reduction then they start talking about an even larger reduction.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just shows the true colours of labour , totalitarianists through and through.

Ie post WWII , rationing was continued for nearly 10 years,

Andrew Marr put it quite well on a history programme last week , that the Labour government imported lots of a certain type of fish and tried to enforce people to eat it.

you can bet your top dollar that MPs will be exempt, but I dunno I went out to Tesco today (which is very rare) and I felt an seething bubbling under the surface anger and some of the inflation seen there.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 01:28 - 27 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There would also be difficulties in deciding how to set the rations, taking into account a person's age, location and health.

Quote:
it's easy for everyone to understand, you all get the same carbon ration.

Well thought out then Rolling Eyes

So anyone living in deepest dark cornwall, wales, scotland will be either given big rations to start with or the same as everyone else and be able to afford to go to work for about 1month a year.

It all sounds like the usual rubbish proposals to me, is this aswell as road pricing, won't be anyone on the roads to price.

The whole Carbon thing is just a joke now, they'll be proposing the genetic engineering of cows with only 1 stomach soon, as 4 is too polluting. And what about army vehicles, they going to start forcing the army to use hybrid tanks, and armour made from recycled toilet paper?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:26 - 27 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
And what about army vehicles, they going to start forcing the army to use hybrid tanks, and armour made from recycled toilet paper?

They've forced our tanks have have catalytic converters fitted to them. I love the way they are more worried about the pollution coming out of the back rather than the shells coming out the front, I bet the shells aren't biodegradable.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 08:13 - 27 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
The whole Carbon thing is just a joke now, they'll be proposing the genetic engineering of cows with only 1 stomach soon, as 4 is too polluting.

In all seriousness, probably more likely to come up with some kind of tax on eating meat.

Big_Ham wrote:
They've forced our tanks have have catalytic converters fitted to them. I love the way they are more worried about the pollution coming out of the back rather than the shells coming out the front, I bet the shells aren't biodegradable.

You can bet that the cats would come off in time of war. As to the shells, they are made from recycled material (recycled uranium Laughing ).

All the best

Keith

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:47 - 27 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Big_Ham wrote:

You can bet that the cats would come off in time of war. As to the shells, they are made from recycled material (recycled uranium Laughing ).

All the best

Keith

Laughing

The uranium probably makes the animals in battlefields have two heads. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1