Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

80 year old nearly kills me (bike crash)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paul86
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:53 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: 80 year old nearly kills me (bike crash) Reply with quote

So today i had 2 hours off work to go get the R125 serviced and on the way back home from CMC (Chesterfield --> Dronfield) I was coming down a 40 mph main road at exactly 32 mph as the conditions weren't so good.

Suddenly an 80 year old in a purple Micra pulls across the road perforimng a 3 point turn without looking (will upload a diagram later) but just picture parked car on left and then a Micra pulling across the road so its back end is covering the edge of the parked car and its front end is at the other side touching the curb...yes thats right basically there was no space on the road to escape to.

On go the brakes but it's too late as she pulled out without looking, she sits there looking startled at me heading towards her squiggling down the road side to side, does she reverse out the way? No...does she move forwards and turn, no!

So I hit her between 15-20mph, the R125 smashes into a black and silver hand grenade, I slam straight into her B pillar, the petrol tank rips off and fires petrol all over the place while im shouting for someone to hit the killswitch.

To cut a long story short, I'm in hospital with a neckbrace and knackered neck (not paralyzed or broke) and my legs are all battered and bruised, Police say that they're going to take her license away and luckily there was plenty of witnesses, just got to get a new bike shipped over for me and try and get my neck and shoulder corrected as theyre unmovable at the moment but hey I'm alive and I'm in no wrong which is even better!

In pain but smiling and getting back on the bike soon, Paul!

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

On a brand new bike as well. Crying or Very sad Shame to hear it.

Ah well you'll be looking forward to a nice compensation pay out and another new bike Mr. Green

Good lad on wanting to get back on a bike already Wink
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

Paul86
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:13 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I'm not too fussed about it being a new bike and being totalled, it's the fact that it wasn't my fault and being alive thats so great about it.

Thumbs Up compensation + new bike + being alive and it not being my fault Thumbs Up

Thumbs Down for injuries and the lack of assessment of drivers once they reach a certain age Thumbs Down

Grey rectangle is a parked car if you dont get it, outlines are original positions and filled out shapes are finished poisitions.

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/Loriku/Bike/bikecrash.jpg

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wobbled that much side to side? Laughing

And yeah I know what you mean. I got 2 weeks to go till I can ride any bike again Laughing Though my accident was no ones fault Sad Still fighting to sort out my 125 accident though Mad

Best of luck with the recovery Thumbs Up
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

DidierD
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:30 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell did she think she was going to finish the rest of the 3 point turn from that position! Laughing

Good to hear you're in good spirits about it, I had a nice little back end slide today on the way out from work that made me slow down a bit so take it easy out there people Thumbs Up

31st March 2008 - Fully converted from four wheels to 2 sets of two wheels Very Happy

Paul86
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:39 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yeah well with the extremely short stopping distance I did a total of 3 lowsides trying to slow down in the space of a gnat eyelash that she left me, caught the first 2 like a pro! Last one obviously no point catching as I was in the side of a car lol.

And god knows how she thought she was gonna turn round in that space, took her a good 5 minutes after she got a helmet planted in her door to actually get the car into position on the other side of the road heh.

You gotta smile about these things and get back on the crotch rockets though!

Thanks for the support guys Thumbs Up

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 lowsides?

Do you mean skid? You'd have some serious talent to fall off 3 times Laughing

Paul86
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well trust me, me and the bike was horizontal and at 90 degrees to the road 3 times although i pulled it back upright on the first 2, must have been my super strength and how everything slows down to super slow motion that gave me the ability to do that lol, if you'd have seen it you'd have been even more WTF then I was lol. But yeah, probably more of a skid, but some crazy skidding! Oh the road is heading downhill too which didn't really help either!

The choice to hit smack bang in the middle was because:

A: Didnt want to slam into the back of the parked car as there was no gap that side (then she probably would have reversed on me too haha)

B: Didn't want to go over her bonnet and through the 4x4's windscreen coming the other way after seeing there was no gap on that side either.

Its so strange how everything slows down those few seconds seemed like minutes.

karidian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shit Shocked , you are one lucky bloke. Shame about your bike but hey, as you say youre alive. Hope you feel better soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NinjaLee
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody hell Shocked hope you get better soon mate Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking Shocked
Nice to see you've got justice though, well atleast with that misrebble attempt at a 3 point turn its safe to say she could'nt have left the scene Laughing
I think she must have got an 'F' on her birth certificate, graded for a 'FAIL' at life. Razz

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 28 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look back at it and think, you can peice it together in your head, second by second what happened... Like watching an action replay.

But in actuality, it's all over in less than 2 seconds, and you have no time to think and do anything.

If you had time to actively think about what to do, you probably weren't braking hard enough Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 02:52 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the claim, and GWS Thumbs Up

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul86, soz to hear about your accident - sounds very nasty and that you were lucky not to come off even worse!! Thumbs Up

I live in Dronfield but can't quite picture which road you were on, were you still near Chesterfield CMC at that point? The only post office I know between Chesterfield and Dronfield is in Unstone!

Get well quick and back on the bike anyway mate. Karma
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon fella.

Paul86
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:49 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thanks for all the support guys! Thumbs Up

Beanfest, you know if you come from chesterfield and head through unstone (30mph zone) you get to the edge before that sweeping left hand that goes down the hill (which is a 40mph zone), it happened going down that hill, theres a post office or something on the left side (if coming towards dronfield) near the turn offs you take to go to Apperknowle.

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/Loriku/Bike/100_0232.jpg

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/Loriku/Bike/100_0231.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words peeps, youre the best! Thumbs Up

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, looks painful! I know exactly where you had the accident and it's not a good spot for sharp braking - road camber, potholes etc!
I also recognise you but can't remember where it could have been from, you been having any lessons/tests recently!?

Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

Paul86
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:00 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did CBT early april, generally out on the bike everyday, work up callywhite lane and hang around at sainsburys when the missus is on her break so could be any of those areas ;P Oh I occasionally pop down to Mike Barlow's for a coffee and a chat too, up at CMC quite a bit too.

Occasionally in the donut at chesterfield too, should meet up sometime when they send me my shiny new bike Thumbs Up

Albion
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:08 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon!

Albion
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:09 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon!

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 29 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I remember now, the new R125 - you popped into Mike Barlow's office whilst I was in there having lessons. Looked a nice bike, not my thing the sporty style personally.
I was on my own XR125, still am at the mo after passing my A2 test. Small world! Laughing

Good luck with the new bike when it arrives anyhow. Thumbs Up

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 01 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWS dude.

Thumbs Up
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

AJ
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:32 - 05 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should take all these old farts off the road, they have no comprehension of what speed other traffic is doing. I just missed getting t-boned yesterday by an old fart comming off a large roundabout. He did not understand the lanes are there for a reason. If i was on a 125 I would not have had the power to take evasive action. On the bright side you are in one piece on the mend and hopefully this will be your 1 and only crash. Very Happy

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:06 - 11 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an eerily simmaler crash, infact my only crash when on my scooter, she came out of a concealed ally between two shops...when I say she came out I mean she flew out I went into once side of her and a car on the opposite side had to do an emergancy stop to miss her, Lucky for me he ddn thit her aswell as that would have ushed the car onto me :S

Those few seconds before you hit do seem unreal and then even after wards you have to think...did that just really happen. I remember when one of the witnesses pulled the bike off the road and I saw it and cryed. Only a pug speedfight 50 AC but then again I was only 17 at the time and it was my pride and joy.

I sufferd only a sprain and she admitted full fault so I got a nice shiny new bike and £2,000 compensation for the sprain and a bruse on my leg the size of...well my leg :S

didnt put me of fmuch though.

Glad to hear your alright though yours sounds abit faster then mine was but it doesnt seem to have put you off at all Thumbs Up

I disagree that they sould have your licence taken away, you are forced to reapply for your licence at a certain age...75 isnt it? but some tests sould need to be taken to check if you can still actually drive!

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 14 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get better mate, accidents are never fun, but they do put things into perspective and anything you survive is good experience.

Can't say you did anything wrong, and handled it as good as most people probably would.

I believe they considered 'top up' tests for older people but they got too many complaints and it would cost too much, especially for people already on pensions. But they really need to address this issue, unfortunately when you get older your reaction times and vision can deteriorate quite a bit, and then you become hazard on the road, as we've just seen here.

Again, get well, and I hope you get a nice fat compensation cheque.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2