BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bleed Brakes,

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 00:26 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Bleed Brakes, Reply with quote

Right, I'm fairly competant when it comes to the mechanicals I give myself a 4 spanner rating Laughing

One thing that has always never worked for me is bleeding brakes. I fucking hate it I have bought serveral kits which are meant to make the job easier none have worked. Currently I am trying with a one way valve jobbie but it is shit, so I am going to hack it off and go with the old tube in fluid method.

So could somebody run through the steps and give me tips on how to sort it? I really wanna get it nailed.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 10:13 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those one way tubes still seem to suck air back up even if you submerge them in fluid. The way I do it is put a ring spanner on the bleed nipple, then put the tube on, then pump the lever and hold and open the nipple slightly until the lever goes back to bar, then tighten nipple and repeat until you get no bubbles out.

If you just open the nipple and keep pumping fluid through you never get anywhere.

Friend has a mityvac which he used on another friends bike, yes it was quick to do but takes a lot longer to set it all up and the results weren't as good as the above method.

Never subscribed to all this tapping brakelines and calipers rubbish, tapping a solid metal caliper with a spanner isn't going to dislodge any air, moving steering side to side might, just do that before you last few 'pumps'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the steps above and you cant go wrong.

How long have you had the bike? might be a good idea to replace the fluid and even strip and clean the caliper(s).

i tend to change my fluid every year or 10kmiles, although you can easily get away with double that.

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When doing mine I get some long flexible 7mm ID silicone hose from a aquatic centre (they use it in fish tanks) stuck one end over the nipple and the other end at the bottom of the resevoir. Pumping the lever causes air to to be expelled at both ends of the system and fluid gets sucked down the hose into the caliper. All you've got to do is keep topping the res up to stop it running dry.

By doing this you creating a closed system and the air can only come out and not get sucked back in.

Took me about 15 minutes from start to finish, and the best thing is you don't piss fluid all over your tyres and alloys. Once you've done, tighten the nipple back up then pour the unused fluid into the tin.

job done
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie the brake lever overnight, job done Laughing

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:48 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and ben are coming round to sort you out.

prepare the lubrication!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the hose higher than the caliper along with the fluid container and the air bubbles will rise away from the caliper.

Mark

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatly agreeing with the rubber hose option.
Opening and closing the bleed nipple and pumping works for getting a little bit of air out, but when the lines and caliper are empty it takes forever.

Suck on the hose and pull the lever in. Suck hard enough (lol) and pump 3 times and you should be about done!

Its alot easier to bleed if the caliper is off the bike so you can swerl it around a bit and make sure all the air can get up to the bleed nipple. Tapping the caliper against the fork leg also helps a fair bit.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So two people in this thread use my method as posted before and neither have thanked me, I feel unloved. Crying or Very sad

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the "stick a pipe on the nipple and suck it" method... Just to get it started. It makes it alot easier.

(warning.. Brake fluid tastes bad,so stop as soon as you see it in the pipe !... Trust me !)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:58 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
So two people in this thread use my method as posted before and neither have thanked me, I feel unloved. Crying or Very sad

I don't want to sound rude sickpup, but to claim any brake bleeding method as exclusively your own is possibly a little optomistic considering how long hydraulic brakes have existed! Wink Smile

Personally I just use a Draper vacuum bleed tool on my compressor. Its not foolproof, and its not even especially good at expelling every last bit of air, but it is clean and that is one of my main priorities considering the usual state I get into when bleeding brakes using 'traditional' methods.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I butchered some pipes 'n' things from Mrs Flips dialysis packs and took some 30ml syringes. Jobs a good'un. Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I don't want to sound rude sickpup, but to claim any brake bleeding method as exclusively your own is possibly a little optomistic considering how long hydraulic brakes have existed! Wink Smile

Possibly yes but they didn't even give me a reach around Crying or Very sad

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
since i bought a couple of big syringes & a lenth of washer hose, i've never had a problem bleeding brakes.
used to hate it before.
suck out all the old fluid by opening up the bleed nipple,puting the hose over it & sucking it out with aa 75/100ml syringe.
even re-building a brake caliper is a doddle now.
just fill the syringe up with brake fluid & fill up via the bleed nipple.
expel any trapped air by opening the bleed nipple a couple of times.
tie the lever to the bar overnight.
& give it a last crack open of the bleed nipple & top up if neccessary..
done this a few times now, successfully.
i now tend to bleed brakes as a matter of course now when i buy a bike, whereas before i would put it off until i had to do it.
cheers,
GAZ

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:49 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Possibly yes but they didn't even give me a reach around Crying or Very sad

Well I've called the Performing Rights association, and they say that they will arrange for Teh interwebs to pay a penny every time the words in this list are used:

Hose, Tube, Pipe, Bleed, air, nipple, ring, and fluid.

Unfortunately they were so busy with trying to stop illegal downloads and listening to the radio whilst at work that they forgot to say who they were going to pay the penny to. the end of the conversation was like this:

"please can you pay it into the account of *click* Sickpup* Brrrrr* "

Mr. Green

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Unfortunately they were so busy with trying to stop illegal downloads and listening to the radio whilst at work that they forgot to say who they were going to pay the penny to. the end of the conversation was like this:

"please can you pay it into the account of *click* Sickpup* Brrrrr* "

Mr. Green

You're just not trying as you don't like me Evil or Very Mad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:03 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

You're just not trying as you don't like me Evil or Very Mad

Hey, I could have tried to save the royalties for myself! Smile

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven_191 wrote:
me and ben are coming round to sort you out.

prepare the lubrication!!

They're still shit.

I'm thinking maybe it is not the bleeding that needs sorting.

The lever doesn't bite into the brake untill you have pulled it over half way, I have tried this with 2 different M/C's The pistons are cleaned up and lubed and it had new Brembo pads in it. It has the lever adjusted to the maximum adjustment out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1