Honda CB 400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Neepling
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:17 - 09 Aug 2008    Post subject: Honda CB 400 Reply with quote

Hi all,

It's my understanding that the Honda CB 400 is ok to ride 'as is' on a 33bhp license - is this true?

cheers

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 09 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. i think they make about 45bhp. check with manufacturer specifications.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Spit-Fire
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 09 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

as stock it will produce more power then 33bhp, so unless its fitted with a restrictor then it will not be legal Wink

Neepling
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn -trying to stay legal with this 33bhp license is proving tricky!! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Spit-Fire
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 09 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, tell me about it, what kind of bike you looking to get?

Neepling
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:37 - 09 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you call them (sport tourer? cafe racer) - not into all the fairing so something like an unfaired bandit, CB500 etc - just trying to find on within my budget £1,500 max ( including restrictor kit) is proving tricky! - may have to do more overtime Sad

Hell at the moment - I'm not too worried about type - I just want something faster than my city fly! Wink

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 10 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB400 Super4 puts out 52bhp, but at least one import version puts out less than 33bhp as standard according to the BAT motorcycles 33bhp list.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 11:32 - 10 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neepling wrote:

even an rs125 which only puts out about 28bhp isnt legal under a 33bhp license due to the power to weight ratio rules

Spit-Fire
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 11 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
Neepling wrote:

even an rs125 which only puts out about 28bhp isnt legal under a 33bhp license due to the power to weight ratio rules

you sure about that??? Confused i dont think thats right

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 11 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking there is a power ratio/limit to all licences that don't have unrestricted full class A entitlement.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 11 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on keeping the the bike after your restrictions are up?

If not try looking at some of the honda 250 v twin jap imports, they will pretty much all do around 85-95mph and all but a couple come under or smack on 33bhp,

I had a vt250 spada and a late model vtr (ducati looking thing) both were great to ride and have more torque than a 400 in the lower revs (where it counts if your gonna restrict a 400)

I sold my spada for £850 but they can be had for about £400 for a standard one (mine was costimised somewhat) and a few weeks later i sold the vtr for £900 (was on a 2000 w reg so could have got £1200 but i needed cash for a bigger bike)

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 11 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type 2 VTR is just damned sexy, I was looking for one when I found the GD250.

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 12 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CB400n puts out under 33Bhp.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:09 - 12 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

sPiTfYa wrote:

you sure about that??? Confused i dont think thats right

It is true but the rules on the restriction are hard to follow. I was told my my A2 intrustor that I couldn't ride a RS but it depends on how you take the power to weight. Kerb wieght? dry wieght? power at crank? power at wheel? It doesn't mention any of this.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 325 days between these two posts...

hrishi_k
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:29 - 03 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE HELP:

HOW TO KNOW "CB 400 Super Four" (PROJECT BIG-1) HAS A RESTRICTED UNIT ?

IS THERE ANY FITMENT FITTED TO RESTRICT POWER?
IF YES WHERE IT IS LOCATED?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 03 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrishi_k wrote:
PLEASE HELP:

HOW TO KNOW "CB 400 Super Four" (PROJECT BIG-1) HAS A RESTRICTED UNIT ?

IS THERE ANY FITMENT FITTED TO RESTRICT POWER?
IF YES WHERE IT IS LOCATED?

dont know if its the same, but the restrictors on my daughters CBR400 are in the carb ducts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:53 - 04 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda CB's are a tad misleading, they have been using the CB lable for rather a long time, and attaching it to LOTS of VERY different bikes.

CB400, could be the old CB400, air-cooled twin, I think they did a 'T' designation, an 'N' designation, a 'Dream' and 'super-Dream'.

Then there was the CB400, air-cooled 'Four'. the CB400F or CB400 'eurosport' or CB400'Four'.....

More recently they have re-introduced the CB 'twins', while they have been making a huge number of Jap-Only market 400's with four pot motors, CBR, CBF CB1, or plain CB400.... that could easily be called CB400...

So you'll have to forgive the question, but WHICH CB400 EXACTLY are you enquiring about?

Early, CB400N air-cooled 'Twin', 'MIGHT' just squeek into thw 33bhp limit. Pretty sure that the 250 version of early 80's vintage had 22bhp 'ish' the 400 I THINK 31ish! by the book specs (twenty years on, if they make any power at all, slack cam-chain and worn cams taken into account, back whel power will almost certainly be a LOT less.... was probably a lot less than 'quoted' when new, but thats another story!)

The original and now desirable 'Classic' CB400 'Four' I think had quoted power of 36bhp, so just over the limit..... but close enough to argue the difference betwen 'quoted' and 'actual'.

More modern Jap-Market imports? Unrestricted, some of them can make anything up to 60-70bhp, but Japan had thier own 45bhp licence restriction, so plenty were restricted to that, but its still to high for UK licence... and the bludger bit was that the Jap-Laws demanded an electronic restriction, so its often hard-wired into the ignition black-box, making it difficult to eiother de-restrict or further restrict.

However, looking for a 33bhp complient bike, 'on teh cheap' you do have a few options, and you dont HAVE to go for an expensive 'Restrictor-Kit'.

LAW simply states you cant ride a bike with more power. Dosn't say how it should be restricted, nor demand certification of restriction.

THAT is normally only a requirement of the insurance companies, and different co's apply the requirements differently.

SOME will take your WORD that a bikes complient..... something like an old CB400N twin, that is boarderline, you should be able to find an Ins co that will take your word and not demand certification for.

Some may ask for a certificate, others just a Dyno chart, or even just a letter from a garage saying tehy THINK its complient.

Bikes like CBR600, ZX6R, etc you'll struggle to find a more ''relaxed' ins co, becouse they KNOW people that buy that kind of bike DONT want restrictions on them.....

Go for something like a CB400 Twin, or an old XS650 or something stupid like a Neval..... and you are likely to find a slightly more accomodating Ins co, as WELL as lower premium!

On the super-cheap, plenty of bikes out there that will fill the mandate; old MZ 250's Jawa 350's, Honda Super-Dreams 250 or 400, Suzuki GS250 or 400's etc etc etc.

Some of them are even quite 'nice' bikes, as well as cheap!

(plenty of heaps though! Always be wary the cheap bike that is cheap 'cos no-ones ever paid any maintenence on it!... dont take the low mileages as a good thing.... just means it hasn't worked or been road worthy enough to go anywhere!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 04 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB400N makes 43bhp

The old 70's CB400/4F makes 37bhp

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:25 - 04 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
The CB400N makes 43bhp

The old 70's CB400/4F makes 37bhp

Hmmm, wouldn't have credited the old super-Dream as having more power than the 'four', but there you go......

But then quoted power usually varies significantly from 'actual' power, and 'quotes' vary just as widely too!

Honda - CB 400N 43 bhp @ 9500 rpm

Honda - CB 400N 27 bhp @ 7500 rpm (different source)

Honda - CB 400N 43 bhp @ 8500 rpm (different source, again)

Honda - CB 400T 26.8 bhp @ 8000 rpm (different source, again)

Honda CB400A ('Honda-Matic') 27bhp @ 8000rpm

Different sources, different quotes.... do put the 'Super-Dream up in the 40's on the main, though, which surprises me...... the old 'four' was far more 'spritely'!

Though I do remember folk at the time commenting that the four was 'all noise and no action' with its 'trendy' accross teh frame motor and quad pipes, where thier 'Wet-Dream' was a propper 'grown up' bike, and made more power curtecy of its tripple valves?!?!

Any how, If its a CB400N 'Super-Dream' in question, stick one on a Dyno, I'd lay money you'd not get a reading much over the licence limit, if at all, and if you DID, you could easily 'tweek' it under with a little carb and or ignition adjustment, to give a Dyno-Trace to the insurance co they would be happy with!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1matt400
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:59 - 13 Oct 2010    Post subject: Re: Honda CB 400 Reply with quote

Neepling wrote:
Hi all,

It's my understanding that the Honda CB 400 is ok to ride 'as is' on a 33bhp license - is this true?

cheers

John

I have a Honda CB1 400 jap import, there is two imports the jap one and the american one they both have diff BHP the Jap one is bout 60-65 BHP and the american one is bout 55-60 dot ask me why lol, but i have my CB1 restricted because of my licence, but still got alot of torque nd still does bout 110 mph, but they are a good running bike like all honda's really pretty much indestructible, very fun too ride pop wheelies quite well and good round corners over all good bike if you dont want something too lairy. Thanks Matt

P.s. i have a Honda CB 400 superfour/ CB1 400 workshop manual on PDF is anyone needs onejust give me a message

rhys1005
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:37 - 13 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

quit bringing up old threads ...

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 14 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys1005 wrote:
quit bringing up old threads ...

Meh, 100 days and actually relevent to the thread. Quit being so touchy.

Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 10 years, 243 days between these two posts...

nicre
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:52 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI I GOT A CB 400 IT START UP RUN AND THEN JUST CUT OUT AND ALL THE JETS ARE CLEAN AND THEN AFTER A LOT OF SWINGING IT STURT UP AGAIN AND DO THE SAME ALL OVER

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicre wrote:
HI I GOT A CB 400 IT START UP RUN AND THEN JUST CUT OUT AND ALL THE JETS ARE CLEAN AND THEN AFTER A LOT OF SWINGING IT STURT UP AGAIN AND DO THE SAME ALL OVER

Good for you. I'm not sure if you are actually asking a question, but if you are, why not start a new thread in the workshop section instead of dragging up a 12 year old unrelated thread...

Edit: AND STOP SHOUTING.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2