Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

dover ferry and head lights

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:52 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: dover ferry and head lights Reply with quote

I have never been onto a ferry before so what is the process like seperate queues or one queue also headlight converters for abroad do you have to do it ? do others do it ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah the ferry...

Well mate its rather simple...

When you ride up to Dover you will see signs directing you to check in. Identify from the overhead signs which company you are travelling with, and make sure you are in the correct lane to check in with that company.

Join the queue if there is one, and when you get to the booth, show them your passport and your booking reservation email. (If you dont have this they will just take your reg number and it will take slightly longer.

They will check you in and issue you a card with a lane number on it e.g 52... Follow the signs for the lane you want, chances are it will be one reserved for bikes and park up and wait. Someone will eventually take your ticket and invite you to board the ferry.

Top tips.. Aim to check in an hour before departure at least...The ferry will help you strap down your bike, and provide the strap.. It is acceptable to filter to the front if there are cars in your lane..if anyone gets arsey tell them bikes are loaded first Wink

Headlight deflectors..you will see signs about these, in my experience disregard them as its aimed at cars, if you see a bike with any deflectors on then quiz them as ive never seen any.

Oh and the food is reassuringly expnsive on the ferry Wink

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:35 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks supperstacker a good reply the headlight beam deflector is a question that no one seems to do on a bike just a few my driving will be a day time anyways unless I stray into the night to paderborn (germany
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

casadunc
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all ferry companies help with strapping down any more. I travelled with Norfolk line and they said they dont help because there has been too many accidents and company being sued. I hadn't a clue so i fluttered my eyes a bit and acted like a dumb female and they helped in the end.

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked P&O ferries and they said you have to do it your self or if you get into trouble staff will help.
I have asked if I can take a petrol can on the bike with me as the bike only does 130miles to a tank and knowing me I will miss the fuel station when I need it most still waiting for reply.

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:41 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Norfolkline a few weeks ago..

It may depend on the crew in question but they will "assist" you. The level of assistance may vary but on four crossings they have done it for me, i've just helped.

Bareing in mind on the phone they said they only provided the straps and i had to do it myself Wink

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:47 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

magpiemale wrote:
I asked P&O ferries and they said you have to do it your self or if you get into trouble staff will help.
I have asked if I can take a petrol can on the bike with me as the bike only does 130miles to a tank and knowing me I will miss the fuel station when I need it most still waiting for reply.

I assume your taking GPS?

There is a petrol garage on the Dover approach road, fill up before you board. Then you shouldnt need petrol in France at all.

The Autoroutes have petrol stations in the services and are signposted about 5km away normally, they take Maestro cards no problem, but try and pay cash. In town some of the pumps only take local cards but you can normally ask someone to fill you up and give them the cash Wink

You could bring fuel with you i suppose but its extra weight, you wont need it if you fill up at Dover, and if it leaks...well that speaks for itself. I filled up the Ninja every 100 miles as my bum needed a rest from the seat, and just to make sure i didnt run out. If you get really stuck then you can always use the GPS to find nearest petrol station.

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:49 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

my phone has GPS loaded (nokia maps) ahh well best leave the bonfire tank at home them hehehe

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

magpiemale wrote:
my phone has GPS loaded (nokia maps) ahh well best leave the bonfire tank at home them hehehe

NO no no...

International Data roaming charges are extortionate and GPS on your phone uses this to download the maps. (I have the N958GB)..

Find a friend who will lend you a normal sat nav unit with European mapping..my Garmin Nuvi cost me about 100 quid (get them cheaper in places like cash converters Wink )

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:58 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you already have the maps pre-installed ? I down load them of the net using the computer onto the phone..I also have a contract nokia N80

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be ok in that case, to be sure I would make sure you dont allow it to connect to the network when you load it up.

The last thing you want is being charged £3 per mb as it downloads map information while you make your merry way across Germany.

If you can borrow a normal sat nav i would do it, and then use your one when on foot elsewhere.

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one I know goes abroad I was gonna buy one but thought £350 can buy something else my map (phillips) has rest area's in it which I will be carrying my route is around 460 miles mark or was it more like 540 either ways it is long way I have been to newcastle and back in a day to get used to a big ride....my FZ1 is pretty comfy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

magpiemale wrote:

You'll be allowed empty fuel cans with no problem, but they won't like you having cans of petrol on the ferry.

P&O last year, on the way out they had no problems at all with empty jerry cans and plastic fuel cans. On the way home the cans were filled some with diesel and some with petrol. The girl at P&O check in are Calais asked what was in them, then explained that we were quite okay carrying diesel in cans but we weren't allowed the petrol so had to get rid of it somewhere. She couldn't tell us where, just that we weren't allowed through when we still had the petrol.

Tried offering it to passing bikes and cars, but everyone had got full tanks of petrol already. Round the back of the the little check-in building the P&O girl was in there was a drain cover with lots of cigarette butts around it so we decided that was the best place to get rid of the ~40 litres of petrol she wanted us to get rid of.

Hope she went for a fag break quite soon. Very Happy

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 21:54 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolkline were strapping bikes down for you, watch them though as they can be very careless with the metal hooks flicking around, and make sure it's not too tight/loose, also put it in gear and stick a cable tie on front brake, won't go anywhere.

Headlights deflectors, you don't need them as I've yet to find a motorcycle headlight with a beam that flicks up to the left, they're nearly always flat meaning no problem. Just park close to a wall and turn your lights on when its dark make sure the beam doesn't kick up at the left, only if it does do you need to mask some of your light off.

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satnavs? What?!?!

People people people...it's all about the maps!

Getting a soaking map out when you're lost in foggy northen france is half the fun!

barnhatter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry soaking maps and getting lost is no fun, going round a city trying to get out is a waste of time and missing a fun route due to a missed turn and ending up on a motorway is not a holiday.
I use maps to design my route then put them into my satnav. I also have my map and route to check progress and backup.
On the subject of things to take,
Breakdown insurance saves a lot of tools.
A Scottoiler saves constant chain adjusting.
The bike supplied toolkit will do most things.
Remember a tyrepressure gauge petrol stations supply the air.
A small bag tied onto the instruments with a large soapy j-cloth will clean your visor.
Spare bulbs
Puncture repair kit
Cable repair kit
250ml of scottoiler oil
I take the minimum of things
3 black tea shirts for riding
2 pairs of motorcycle socks
5 pairs of shreddies
tracksuit top, for riding and evenings
For evenings and 2 days rest I take
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of shorts
3 teashirts
canvas trainers
3 pairs of socks
3 pairs of boxer shorts
For sleeping
Tent
Sleeping bag
blowup backpacking matress + pillow
torch
washkit

Thats about it. It all fits in 2 panniers with the tent on the rack of my hornet.
If anyone sees me going to Cesky Krumlov starting on 19th Sept on the 08.00 tunnel crossing, give me a wave.

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well barnhatter your list isnt far off from my own while mine might be a little O.T.T I feel some things are really needed and I hope mine will all fit into my E52 top box and pillion monster bag + tank bag.

Well not long now a 6000 miles service for the bike is in sept ready for the off in october I have bought another textile suit from www.getgeared.co.uk a vanucci touring suit I have tried it out and for £380 it fit's loverly like rev-it say a second skin lol (no really it is comfy) I have yet to try it out for water proofing but for feel and comfort well worth it.my RST suit was sent back for inspection by RST for not being water proof
List of things to take....
chain lube
tyre puncture repair (plugs)
torque wrench + spanners for chain adjustment
spare bulb and fuse kit
hi-viz vest (for breakdown some say you need it others say not so just bung it in)
tyre pump 12v (small)
cargo net for pillion bag extra security
bikes tool kit
warning triangle (small)
mobile phone + charger
baby wipes (for visor) + cloth in a bag
first aid kit
spare gloves
license both parts +insurance cert + breakdown cover +ferry tickets and passport +V5 + copies European health card
map
duck tape and cable ties
small bottle of oil
old towel (for ferry tie down)
disc lock
water proofer for gloves
4 set's of ear plugs
visor nik wax
parrot bluetooth head phones ck4000
and last but not least clothes in my top box and pillion monster bag and tank bag (or soft panniers instead of tank bag not decided as yet)
and money
as of yet I have not decided upon which helmet to take the caberg with sun visor built in or the x-lite 601 and sun-glasses the caberg is noisy and visor leaks water but has a sun visor the x-lite is comfy and less noisy but no sun protection

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the tunnel, none of this waiting for an hour rollocks.

Ended up caught up in rush hour traffic in Antwerp, due to me being a tight fisted yorkshireman and getting the ferry. Rather than getting the tunnel that goes every few mins.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:56 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Headlights deflectors, you don't need them as I've yet to find a motorcycle headlight with a beam that flicks up to the left, they're nearly always flat meaning no problem.

Nearly always flat? In my experience I would say that at least 90% are left kick beams unless the bike is an import.

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:33 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Okay who has been abroad and also who has been with headlight converters on ? if you havent been with them on did you get 1) flashed quite often 2)or pulled by the police...
france ,germany and spain since most people go to them places

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 19:55 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 1999 Fireblade beam is flat, so was my 97 GSXR750 (Canadian), as is my 2005 R6 and my mates 2000 R6, yet to find one with a kick up at the left (or right on an import). Cars are different, they all kick up.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:33 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate, but out of the 100's of bikes that I've MOT'd and had on a proper beam tester I can assure you that the majority are left kick unless imports (when the majority are European bikes and right kick).

Anyway, as for the OP, I've not bothered when I've been on the continent but I never did much night riding. If you'll be mostly in the day you will be OK, however if you think you will be doing much nighttime riding I would sort it. The easiest way is to simply use some gaffer tape and mask off the relevant portion of the lens to make a flat beam.

Jumile
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few threads that talk about the pros and cons of the stick-on converter plates you can get from Halfords versus 10 minutes with electrical tape and a Stanley blade.

Here is one example (in the Electrics section, above Bodywork), but there are others.

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:39 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jumile will look at that one I will be doing day time riding apart from when in england when it will be night time.Riding down to dover 10pm for 4.15am sailing and landing back a week ltr 9pm
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1