Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

wont start! help please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:20 - 09 Jan 2010    Post subject: wont start! help please Reply with quote

hi my mot is booked for later this week and i came to my bike thismorning and it wont start!!
it was fine last night and all ive done since then is clean out the carb and zip tie some of the wires up after about 5 minutes of trying to start iti realised the side of the carb waswet so i looked and there was fuel comeing form the carb where the 2 parts join !
so i took it apart and re-cleand it and put it back together again and its fine but the bike still wont start and it makes an awful poping kinda noise when i try and start it it turns over and sounds like its startign to ignite but dosent could low ail level do this to a bike (4 stroke) please guys i need your help it was fine lastnight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 09 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

flooded it? take out spark plug, turn over with full open throttle for a bit, dry spark p[lug if needed, put back in. Thumbs Up

that is, if you didnt sod some electrics up with your zip - tying Wink
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:29 - 09 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ill try that tmorow i just thought also i fitted an alarm a week or so back and one of the imobiliser wires dident have a comector so i slid the bare wire through the other wires connecter and hoped for the best maybe thats come out but it wouldent explain the wierd noise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 09 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

errrrrrrrrrrrrr, when you say low oil level..... how low? did the engine sieze / stop while riding it because of low oil?

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

relitively low i dont think the engine is seizerd as it turns over eisily but the manul says i need sae 15/40w but it dosent say wther its synthetic or semi? so i dont know what to put in

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people should not go near bikes with any tools what so ever.

God help us all.

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

oi dude no need to take a dig at me for no reason every 1 has to start somewhere im used to workin on peds not geard bikes theres no need to be rude

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you cleaned the carb, what exactly did you do to it?

Do you have a spark at the spark plug?

Obviously if the oil is low you need to top it up.

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:38 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey when i cleand it i took it apart and sprayed the whole hing with carb cleaner (perlube itthink?) took out the jets and checked for blockages then replaced i got it to start this morning and it run quite well but after i stoped the engine it wouldent start again?
the tthing is it started first time on the kick ? could it maybe just be the cold wether? also im not conviced the mixture is correct as the spark plug looks a little grey but im not sure how to adjust?
also the manul says i need "SAE 15w/40" oil but does it need to be fully or semi synthetic or mineral? and what does the SAE stand for? thanks for the help

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonie wrote:
and what does the SAE stand for? thanks for the help

Self Addressed Envelope...

Or...

Society of Automotive Engineers...

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if it's possible that you flooded the engine. Try turning it over with the plug out.

Personally I tend to use the cheapest semi-synthetic in bikes. always worked fine for me.

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:17 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suposer its possible another guy sugested it erlyer just a shame its a pain in the arse to get the plug out Evil or Very Mad ill have a look tomorow and let you know that would explan it starting erlyer

thanks

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:36 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if you use mineral, semi, or full synthetic. You haven't said which bike, but given your posting style and knowledge I'll assume it's a 4 stroke 125 of some sort, so mineral is fine, particularly if it's just a top-up.

It states 15W40, I would use 10W40 or 20W50 if I had it to hand. Oil of the slightly wrong grade is better than not enough oil. 10W40 preferable in very cold weather. You don't need bike specific oil, just avoid magnatec.

You don't need to adjust the mix unless you have made significant changes to the inlet or exhaust, grey is fine. Only start messing with the mix if it's very lean (white, blistered) or very rich (black, sooty). You adjust it by fiddling with the black art of jets and needles, not with a screw on the carb. You don't know enough to do this.

Your problem is most likely down to your total lack of wiring skills when fitting the immobiliser. The wire you just pushed in is probably making an intermittent connection, and getting shaken loose by the vibes from the bike when running. Wire the immobiliser in propoerly, with factory fit connectors or soldered joints protected with heatshrink. Two wires twisted together with some electrical tap around them will not give a good, reliable connection. This is also a safety issue - you don't want that shit join to fail at 70 on a dual carriageway at night and leave you with no power to engine or lights.

Finally, learn to spell. If you post on here in a style that suggests you need step-by-instructions to put your socks on, you will be treated as such. If you tell us you're dyslexic as a defence, you'll be subjected to endless tirades of highly focussed pisstaking. Use the spell check.

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:02 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks its a 4 stroke 50cc sorry forgot to mention that i fitted a new bullet connector to that lose wire earlyer today the only change ive made to the carb is add a k&n style filter unfortunately the jet that came with it didn't fit as the thread size was wrong i will top up with semi sinthetic oil tomorrow theres a garage over the road from me and ill get some from there and finally (note im not using this as a defence) i do have a learning disability called dyspraxia however it has no effect on my spelling abilitys and takeing the piss out of some one who is dyslexic is not something im fond of but then its your choice

thanks

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonie wrote:
i do have a learning disability called dyspraxia however it has no effect on my spelling abilitys and takeing the piss out of some one who is dyslexic is not something im fond of but then its your choice

oh, do bugger off.

You come on here asking for help, we give it you and then you go off on one about being "Dyslexic" (or "Dyspraxic", one of the two - they are different you know).

Anyway, Robby may well have a point - if you're not sure of that connection, check it. No point farting about with the engine if you're not sure of your wires.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonie wrote:
...(note im not using this as a defence)...

Why mention it then? Confused

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:47 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i told you i checked that connection today... ok so i may seem as if i come off a bit cocky sometimes and i do apreciate all the help you guys are giveing me (yes i know the difference between dyspraxia and dyslexia) i was makeing a point i dont like people makeing fun of disabled people and i wasent "going off on one" ive asked for advice you gave me it but i cant act on it untill tomorow as it is dark but there was no need for robby to say i would use something like that as a deffence if you guys want me to make sure my posts are spelt right then ill do that and not make any excuses sorry if that seemed like a rant to you but i think you took my last post in the wrong context...
thanks for helping me ill double check that connection tomorrow and also check if the engine has flooded and ill post the results back to you

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:53 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When you took the carb to bits and took the "jets" out did you take the idle mixture screw out? If so did you make sure it was the same number of turns out as it was when you started?

All the best

Keith

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:19 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey keith no i dont think i took it out but i will look at it tomorrow and check wether its in the right position

when you say turn it over with the spark plug out do you mean just kick it over on the kick start? (just to make sure i do it right)

thanks

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:53 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
lonie wrote:
...(note im not using this as a defence)...

Why mention it then? Confused

the way i took his post was that he thought people that said they had it were lieing about it to deffend themselfs whereas i dont do that i guess?
on the other hand i may have taken his post in the wrong light in witch case there was no need to mention it

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 12 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the first thing I'd check is if the spark plug is actually firing.

From what you describe though (popping/banging) it does sound more like a mixture issue.

But yeah. Take the plug out, hold the tip (carefully - don't electrocute yourself) against the engine. Then kick it over. You should have a spark.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:39 - 12 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok im going out to look for a spark now ill post back in alf an hour or so...

lonie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:03 - 12 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys got it going Smile afer going over it about 10 times checking everything that ive done every wire i connected and disconnected every bulb i changed and then checked it for spark and flooding as you guys suggested i had a good strong spark and i dont know how to tell if it was flooded but i turned it over without the plug in any way and it STILL wouldn't fire! i thought ill go to the garage and get some oil and top it up so i went over the road and was talking to the guy behind the counter and he said have you washed it recently?seeing no relevence i said yes why so he said check if theres water in the CDI so after comeinbg home again and takeing the cdi off i saw it was wet dirty horrible in general and i thought well eavan if it isnt damaged i might aswell replace it anyway so i went back and the guy gave me a replacement cdi for £15 with a smile and an "told you so" went home fitted it and it fired first kick?
so i guess thats problem solved thanks for all the help guys now if i can only work out why the sidelight wont work Neutral

thanks
ill let you all know how it gets on in its mot on wednesday
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2