Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TZR125R Calipers - SOLVED

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Jan 2010    Post subject: TZR125R Calipers - SOLVED Reply with quote

Hi, I'm starting a project within a project, I need to know what calipers are a direct replacement for a TZR125R front caliper. The standard one is a 2 pot, so I'm assuming a TDR250/TZR250 would fit ok?

Also are there any fork yokes that will take the forks? I need the lower one if anybody has one lying around Wink

Last edited by Billing on 18:41 - 12 Jan 2010; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:34 - 05 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Which model of TZR125? The late Japanese model with USD forks?

All the best

Keith

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 05 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its either 4DL or 4FL, it's got USD forks, just need a caliper to fit them Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:13 - 05 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is an Italian one then they used a Brembo caliper. The Japanese one is different. Suspect a TZR250 caliper might fit, but might be easier to get a blue spot caliper instead (probably easier to source a decent one).

All the best

Keith

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 05 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Keith, I'll see if I can find out what the forks came from. Does it matter whether I match calipers and forks (e.g brembo and italian forks) or will they both fit? All I really want is a caliper that would fit over the disc and match the fork bracket.

Blue spot calipers, are they off an R1/R6? I've not looked at prices, but a TZR125RR twin pot made by Sumimoto is £35

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to get it so everything works as it should, I'll post up pics of how my idea is going Smile not seen a 2RK with USD front end before, so I have nothing to go on XD

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looking on Bikepics it looks like the Brembo calipers used on the TZR had the small bolt spacing (~40mm I think) so they wouldn't bolt on.

If you can get the right caliper for £35 then that is probably best rather than faffing round with alternatives (after all, you might find something cheaper, and then cost yourself more than the difference just for a different brake hose).

All the best

Keith

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 06 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had word back, it appears that these are the 4DL Forks I'm looking at, so the mounts are indeed 40mm apart.

I'm waiting on hearing about the Sumimoto one, if thats not 40,, do you know any that would fit? I'm hoping a TZR250 3XV might do the job, if not I'll look for a 4DL being broken

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:20 - 06 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think the Brembo calipers with the close together mounts should be fairly easy to source 2nd hand. From memory some Ducatis used them as standard (Brembo seem to use 2 different mount spacings, and Ducati use both depending on the model, think down to whether they use Marzocchi or Showa forks).

All the best

Keith

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 06 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Keith, 've had a look at Ducati calipers which are far to expensive to be quite honest.

I've been looking at RS125 and Mito Evo 125 calipers, which look like they have the correctly spaced mounting holes, heres a link to the Mito one

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAGIVA-MITO-125-94-07-BRAKE-CALIPER-FRONT-BREMBO_W0QQitemZ390139230819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item5ad61c3a63

sorry to keep asking questions, just want my idea to work properly Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:55 - 06 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Surprised the Ducati calipers cost that much. Think new that don't cost a fortune.

The RS124 caliper should also fit and they are 10 a penny.

All the best

Keith

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 10 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Keith, if I don't win the 4DL caliper I'll look at RS125 and Cagiva Mito ones.

If I buy the caliper can I hook it up to the original master cylinder? If the standard one fits on the 4DL bar, I'll use it, simply so that I can keep the standard throttle assembly. I have a braided hose I can put on it, just to help with the brake feel.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 07:40 - 11 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Comes down to the piston sizes. Too large m/c piston to too small caliper pistons will give you pretty dead feeling brakes. Similarly the other way round will give you pretty spongy brakes. That said I suspect all the choices you have suggested will be similar enough to not cause a problem.

All the best

Keith

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 12 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, bought a caliper, hose and master cylinder for a 4DL, so no need to play around trying to find the right size m/c.

and at £6.50 it was a bargain Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1