Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I'm getting into cycling!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: I'm getting into cycling! Reply with quote

Got a Ride2Work scheme, so this is my shopping list:

Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2008 Mountain Bike
Cateye EL530/LD1100 Light Set
Specialized Air Force 3 Helmet

Is there anything else that I'd need for riding 5 odd miles to work? I would put some road tyres on but I can't figure out the sizing!

Cheers,

T

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wheels are 26" so THESE should fit

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only things I can think to add would be:

Arrow Mudguards
Arrow Slick Tyres (the wheels are 26x2.00)*
Arrow Water Bottle
Arrow A good lock (or two)

Good stuff with the cycling, I've been cycling to work (13 miles each way) for the last few months and it's made such on fitness etc...

* = basically means 26" wheels which are 2 inches across

Last edited by Davo on 16:04 - 19 Aug 2008; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be wanting a discount on a 2008 bike right now, most bike shops are selling them off cheaper to make way for the 2009 spec bikes.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
I'd be wanting a discount on a 2008 bike right now, most bike shops are selling them off cheaper to make way for the 2009 spec bikes.

Don't think I can under the scheme :/

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't that's the bike shop pulling a blatent fast one, there's no rule in the actual scheme guidelines that you can't do it, just the bike shop wanting a bigger margin.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out the other day that you don't actually own the bike with these schemes. You 'rent' it and can buy it back at the end of the payment period . . .

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a rear mudguard. Water and mud up your crack is not nice.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Re: I'm getting into cycling! Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Is there anything else that I'd need for riding 5 odd miles to work? I would put some road tyres on but I can't figure out the sizing!

Cheers,

T

Spray on plasters ,

lots of scotchlight,

arrogant attitude,

more spray on plasters in case 3 gets you into trouble ,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a Highway Code.
Open it at page one then rip it to pieces, we cyclists make our own rules. Mr. Green

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely swear by the Bontrager Sattelite Elite Hardcase 26" tyres. Never had a puncture in 5 years of commuting and I'm now on my second set. I'm sad to be giving up my cycle commute now that I ride a motorbike and am moving further away from work.

Also wouldn't hurt to put a Slime Liner tape in there. A saddlebag is good for tools/mobile phone etc. Consider a pannier rack and panniers if you need to carry stuff about with you. You can even get little top boxes that fit on top of the pannier rack. And glasses to keep out the wind and debris. Ones with interchangeable lenses (clear, dark and yellow for night) like the Bloc Stealth are good. Dirtmonkey mudguards are a nice size and have that traditional look. And a comfy saddle really helps. Consider a gel cover for it too.

Grav
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Re: I'm getting into cycling! Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Is there anything else that I'd need for riding 5 odd miles to work?

Yeah, a Motorbike. Laughing

How much discount are you actually getting off the bike? The Ride2Work thing says up to 50% but you can guarantee it wont be.

snigger..... Very Happy

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 22:10 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gel covers are for wimps with folding bikes, real cyclists go for a saddle as hard as possible.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Re: I'm getting into cycling! Reply with quote

Grav wrote:
Toby R wrote:

Is there anything else that I'd need for riding 5 odd miles to work?

Yeah, a Motorbike. Laughing

How much discount are you actually getting off the bike? The Ride2Work thing says up to 50% but you can guarantee it wont be.

41%

Grav
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a saving of around £245 off the bike you linked to. You will still have to find £440 odd, so it's not exactly cheap, is it?

snigger..... Very Happy

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grav wrote:
So a saving of around £245 off the bike you linked to. You will still have to find £440 odd, so it's not exactly cheap, is it?

Better than buying an 80 quid one from Halfords though innit

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id rather get an old GPZ for £440 Very Happy

I enjoy cycling in the gym and spin class but im too much of a pussy for cycling on the road Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Grav
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

That all depends on how long it takes to get nicked. Try insuring a pushbike against theft in Liverpool. An £80 one from Halfords isnt as painful to lose.

My 12 year old son has an £80 Halfords mountain bike and it's never let him down, no matter what stupid stunts he's done on it. He scares me sometimes by surfing down the road on it, one foot on the seat and one on the bars, steering......

He's quite, quite mad.

Laughing

snigger..... Very Happy

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:05 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grav wrote:
Toby R wrote:

That all depends on how long it takes to get nicked. Try insuring a pushbike against theft in Liverpool. An £80 one from Halfords isnt as painful to lose.

My 12 year old son has an £80 Halfords mountain bike and it's never let him down, no matter what stupid stunts he's done on it. He scares me sometimes by surfing down the road on it, one foot on the seat and one on the bars, steering......

He's quite, quite mad.

Laughing

Indeed, had expensive bikes stolen so I went for a cheap second hand one off a mate who builds them. Good basic bike with the good parts in the right places. No suspension, decent tyres, simple enough not to break every 5 minutes. £100 off him.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:34 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 doesn't build a good bike with the good parts in the right places.

As far as insuring it, a £485 bike should be covered by normal house hold insurance.

£80 Halfords ones won't last long if used much, in the same way dirt cheap chinese import bikes don't last long if used much.

A saving of £245 is still worth having if you can, plus you'll save more money commuting on it by not having to buy as much petrol. Smile

Last edited by Ste on 06:59 - 20 Aug 2008; edited 1 time in total

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:52 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
£100 doesn't build a bike with good bike with the good parts in the right places.

As far as insuring it, a £485 bike should be covered by normal house hold insurance.

£80 Halfords ones won't last long if used much, in the same way dirt cheap chinese import bikes don't last long if used much.

A saving of £245 is still worth having if you can, plus you'll save more money commuting on it by not having to buy as much petrol. Smile

I dunno I bought a halfords chromolly frame push bike when I was 13, the frame is ok so are the grip shift gear changers, a few things are furred up but its still ok to ride...

But cost vs time vs petrol...

takes me 10 minutes to get to work on motorbike , 60 minutes via push bike, so it costs 8 hours a week, which you can be doing something else...
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:59 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
takes me 10 minutes to get to work on motorbike , 60 minutes via push bike

Fuck me Itchy, you do know that most bikes have a big chainring you can also use when you want to go faster!??

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:02 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted powerbands to my pushbike and it goes to 50. Paid £100 for it second hand from him, was worth double.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 08:42 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
Itchy wrote:
takes me 10 minutes to get to work on motorbike , 60 minutes via push bike

Fuck me Itchy, you do know that most bikes have a big chainring you can also use when you want to go faster!??

At that rate I'd be surprised if he knows about the middle chainring Razz

It takes me between 30 - 50 minutes driving, it would be about 30 minutes + 10 minutes faffing on motorbike, takes 50 minutes + 15 minutes faffing (shower etc) cycling.

Of course the petrol savings go on doubling the size of my lunch. Thumbs Up

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Theft won't be much of a problem, it's going to be kept in the house of a night, and locked up with a motorbike chain in a secure carpark at work, anywhere in between that I'll be using a decent chain, plus I tend to visit only the decent areas of Liverpool anyway D:
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3