Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leaving stuff in the tent.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deano_44
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:41 - 12 Aug 2008    Post subject: Leaving stuff in the tent. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have been reading quite a few of the write ups on here and find them all fascinating. Sometimes I read that people have set up camp and then gone to look around. Does that mean everything is left in the tent? Can't imagine carrying all the great around with you? I was wondering you know, as I wouldn't want to get anything stolen or whatever. But how safe it is? Or how do you do it?

Hope that makes sense Smile .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 12 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left all my stuff in the tent , all I left however was everything that wasn't worth stealing and bought a backback (converted tank bag) with anything valuable in it , ie passport, tickets, money , wallet , camera /phone.

And went on huge benders....and sometimes didn't return to my tent at all...

Its fairly safe out of 5 nights camping only one person popped his head into my tent...

Next time I intend to bolt a lockable box to by CBR seat and travel even lighter.

Otherwise what you can do is get an alarmed disc long and stick it just inside the tent on a piece of string should scare them off.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:59 - 12 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How safe it is depends entirely where you are. When in Spain last year me and korn were leaving our tents up, stuff in the tents, stuff loose in the back of my pickup and stuff on the roof rack and nothing got nicked.

If you're in the middle of no where then you're not really going to have anything stolen. If for some reason you've gone for a camping weekend on Clapham Common then your stuff will probably get stolen whilst you're being raped.

No problem leaving your kit in your tent or on the back of your bike when you go off somewhere but always keep important stuff with you (so thats bike keys, cash, passport, ferry ticket home, etc etc etc).

If you're worried about stuff being nicked from your tent then it's probably not a good idea to camp there anyway, find somewhere else. Thumbs Up

Deano_44
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 12 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well I wasn't planning on camping in Clapham Common. I suppose if I find somewhere in the middle of nowhere I will have a little less to worry about. Then again I am not going on my trip until October. Can't imagine there will be that many crazy people like me camping at that time of the year.

Thanks for the tips!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Aug 2008    Post subject: Re: Leaving stuff in the tent. Reply with quote

If you're 'wild camping' it's probably best for your tent to be pretty hidden anyway.

If you're in a campsite, some may offer lockers, a secure area or just to let you leave your stuff behind the counter.

barnhatter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:43 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

While "on the road" I use proper campsites, they tend to have a safe feel to them and nobody goes near your tent, and everybody would see if someone did.
When arriving at a campsite, I pitch my tent, put out my bedding then sort out my next days things. I then lock everthing else into my hard Givi panniers. Most of my things are left on the bike in the panniers.
Its a balance using how safe the place is, Panniers outside of the tent, Inside the tent unsecured or on your person, pickpockets etc.
You have to take a risk and trust/hope it is okay.

Deano_44
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:09 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I am going to use proper campsites, keep all the valuables with me and hope for the best with the bike. I am sure it will be ok Smile.

Thanks for the tips and advice guys.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 21:14 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took valuables with me, left clothes and anything else in the tent or on the bike if I left the panniers attached. Only both left the tents a couple of times, usually one went while one stayed. But we didn't encounter any problems, your biggest worry is probably fellow british campers, they might nick your stuff Wink

dodger
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept all my stuff in my panniers when out and about except for cash, cards etc...

Bikes are that common in Europe that no-one seems to pay much attention to them. One night when I was in Nice I left my keys in the ignition of my bike [in the centre of town] and it was still there in the morning!

When I couldn't find the apartment I was staying in, in Barcelona I left my bike outside the Sagrada Familia with most of my stuff left in the panniers and again it wasn't touched.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 19:58 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can beat all that,

I left my bike with no steering lock, no alarm, no chain, only a cheap disc lock on a side street in st.Petersburg (Russia) for 4 nights and it did,nt get nicked. Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 25 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
I can beat all that,

I left my bike with no steering lock, no alarm, no chain, only a cheap disc lock on a side street in st.Petersburg (Russia) for 4 nights and it did,nt get nicked. Laughing

That either doesn't say much for the bike or says much for the St Petersgurg population. Laughing (Loved your write up btw.)

When we did our tour round Scotland I had soft panniers and my travelling partner had non-locking panniers and it was all a bit of a pain.

Locking panniers are the way forward. All I took with me that was of value was my phone/camera and my wallet. Not having a secure lockbox does mean you might not be able to go off on a wee tangent without the bike for 30 mins. We missed out on one or two things because of this.

Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:04 - 25 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
. Not having a secure lockbox does mean you might not be able to go off on a wee tangent without the bike for 30 mins. We missed out on one or two things because of this.

I didn't have locking panniers (well, they do, but as standard lock with a screwdriver, or you have to use 4 padlocks which sounds like an awful lot of hassle)... and often left the bike at various locations right up and down the UK without a problem.

Deano_44
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
tatters wrote:
I can beat all that,

That either doesn't say much for the bike or says much for the St Petersgurg population. Laughing (Loved your write up btw.)

When we did our tour round Scotland I had soft panniers and my travelling partner had non-locking panniers and it was all a bit of a pain.

Locking panniers are the way forward. All I took with me that was of value was my phone/camera and my wallet. Not having a secure lockbox does mean you might not be able to go off on a wee tangent without the bike for 30 mins. We missed out on one or two things because of this.

Thumbs Up

Yeah, my panniers are soft too, no way I can see of locking them and will probably be a bit of a hassle. Just have to be quick when leaving the bike unattended Wink .

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:39 - 25 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

For backpackers I believe you can get lockable wire-mesh stuff which could be worth considering if you're really bothered by it.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 25 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
For backpackers I believe you can get lockable wire-mesh stuff which could be worth considering if you're really bothered by it.

Its a weird one. I bought a Givi Tank bag (which doesn't fit on my tank,_ it sits on the back of my bike. I don't think I've ever had anything in it thats been worth more than the bag itself.

I wouldn't cry over some old waterproofs but the bag was £90 and they'd probably toss it away when they realised all it contained was some sweaty smalls. Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up

kitty kat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from a solo trip. I left all my stuff in the tent, just took out what I needed, ie cash & camera. If you are on a campsite, most people are honest enough to leave your tent alone. If i was camping rough then I wouldn't leave the tent at all I don't think.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:58 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 'wild camping' I'd just try and make sure the tent is well enough hidden that people shouldn't easily find it.

Can always find anything extra-valuable elsewhere around the area (in a bush, etc).

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 20:51 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these for keeping my bike gear and helmet safe and dry when away from the bike for a few hours.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350004290755
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 02:29 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£65? Surely it could be snipped off and carried away with nothing more than a pair of pliers, crazy money.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 13:41 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
£65? Surely it could be snipped off and carried away with nothing more than a pair of pliers, crazy money.

Bolts cutters maybe just a pair off pliers wont cut through 6mm cable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1