Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How to stay on your bike!?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: How to stay on your bike!? Reply with quote

Well I never, I accidentally popped my 1st wheelie yesterday!! Shocked

I'm finding my SLR650 incredibly quick off the line, I filtered to the front of 2 lanes of standing traffic at red lights as I normally do. Only this time there was a sporty Merc on my right and a crappy Fiesta on my left, they were both revving engines a bit and inching forwards waiting for the green light. Cue the amber and I'm off!! A bit kangarooey but I clearly felt the front lift off for a short moment... twice, and left them well behind. Thing is, I also slid back into my top box which I'm very glad was there!! This isn't the first time this has happened either... So what do the rest of you do to stop sliding backwards, the only thing I can think of is this rubbery stuff you can place over the seat - looks crap though.

Also on another note, my bike is a 1 cylinder, 4 stroke giving a serious kicking in lower revs but then losing momentum higher up the rev range, it's still bloody fast to me though! However I find I'm generally riding round in quite low rev's all the time - would this be doing anything bad to the bike?

Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:49 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on tight, grip the tank with your knees.

Its a big single, they have loads of low down torque, thats how theyre supposed to be ridden.

Cheers
John
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:03 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What trousers are you wearing? I once had to glue rubber strips to my bum to stop me slipping.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:18 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear textile waterproofs all the time with built in protection, I've gotta be careful enough as it is - I'll never forget the first time I re-waterproofed them with Nikwax and when to work the next morning. That was scary on my 125 - sliding all over the place, especially since I'd done my gloves too!!

Rubber strips sounds interesting! What kind of glue did you use?
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Re: How to stay on your bike!? Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
Cue the amber and I'm off!!


You jump started !! You fail. Thumbs Down
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, you always wait till green!? Mr. Green
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used bits of an old inner tube and stuck it on using the spray on carpet tile glue. Sewing it on would work as well.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
What, you always wait till green!? Mr. Green


Course I do I'm on a bike, even if they jump the lights (going on Amber is) I will still be past them by the end of the junction.

Going on Amber = Scared of losing. Wink
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Deckx
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit yourself a few times, offers pretty good grip when it drys out Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckx wrote:
shit yourself a few times, offers pretty good grip when it drys out Thumbs Up


Laughing
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kal9001
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this with the CBR, Its just one of those things you have to get used to.
I used to feel like I was falling off the whole time, half of it is just your perception, Youll get used to it, Also youll get used to just gripping with your legs.
____________________
Anyone stupid enough to think we will drag a load of wooden horses full of soldiers into our city is certanley stupid enough to drag all of ours into theirs!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeVFR wrote:
People manage to hold onto 500bhp turbo Hayabusa's -- stop being a little girl. Laughing


I doubt they use anywhere near 500bhp till at least 4th gear Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

could use a few velcro strips lol xD

the sort of thing you stick onto your car dash then stick the other side to your phone, but stick one strip to the seat and the other to your arse Wink
____________________
Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
Hold on tight, grip the tank with your knees.


Probably doing the same thing that I was on CGs and SRs, sitting way too far back on the flat seat with my knees flailing everywhere Smile

Move forwards and clamp onto the bottom of the tank with your knees like your life depends on it. If your textiles are sliding on the tank, get some side pads or stomp grip. I generally wear armored jeans for my daily commute and the stuff is 100% worth it.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:32 - 28 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better throttle control maybe?

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:53 - 28 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Better throttle control maybe?

Mark


Well I thought it might be this but I'm already twisting it as far as it will go... Wink

And before anyone mentions powerbands, I've tried the green, red and blue ones now too!

Laughing
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 91.7 Kb