BCF: Bike Chat Forums

suzuki gs550

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: suzuki gs550 Reply with quote

Hi, ive got my eye on a suzuki gs550 for a project idea ive got kicking around in my head.
Im not sure on the year of it, but im guessing its late 70's.
Has anyone any experiance of these? Its really only engine reliability im concerned about cos after ive finished with it about the bit left will be the engine Laughing
Cheers Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

petemell
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:13 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GS550 is a sound bike. They are probably the best midrange inline 4 cylinder around. I like the early spoked wheeled model.

Last edited by petemell on 15:44 - 27 Nov 2008; edited 2 times in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:15 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Engines are very solid. Use roller bearing cranks which are fairly noisy but also don't need much oil pressure hence survive plenty of abuse.

All the best

Keith

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that guys, sounds like a good bet then Thumbs Up
The one i have seen has mag? wheels, so im not sure which model it is..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st big bike Thumbs Up

There are two versions as I recall the E and the L. The L is more of a custom-shaped bike the E is the regular GS shape. Very tough engine, poor charging circuit easily fixed by fitting a Honda regulator/rectifier.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomb proof motor Thumbs Up

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a GS550E, love her to bits Laughing

As the only other bike I've had is a CG I cant really compare it to other bikes. Carbs are a bitch to take off, but I guess that applies to any inline 4.

I'd also heard that the motors are indestructible and the charging circuit is poo.
Mine burns a bit of oil, but not enough to worry me.

Get some photos up Very Happy I don't think any of the other regular posters currently have one of these, although a lot seem to have owned one back in the dim and distant past Wink

Oh, think they had the alloy wheels from '78 on? Don't see many with the spoked wheels now. That said, you dont see many at all! There's loads of spares on eBay, place in Blackpool has loads of bits.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys Thumbs Up
I havent got it yet, im still deciding really on which bike to use, but im leaning towards the gs Thumbs Up
The one i am looking at hasnt been run for a couple of years, its in a bit of a mess cosmeticly but i am assured the engine is a good one.
There are few bits missing i.e bars, headlight, ht leads from what i can see but under the crap it does look solid.
My plan is to use the engine, wheels etc for a bobber project, i'll either modify the frame or knock up a custom hard tail frame myself.

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that might be your plan. Quite a few GS based chops around.
Personally I'd keep it standard, but if it's cosmetically buggered then there's not much point.

If it's an E and the tailpiece and tank are straight, shotgun first dibs Mr. Green

Jockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:57 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a GS550E new in 1979/80, it was one of the best bikes i`ve ever owned, no trouble at all, i covered 12500 miles in six months on it and sold it when it was a year old, it`s true about how solid the engines are, although they aren`t particularly quick, but still fun to have and use.-Jockey. Very Happy Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ok mate, no probs Thumbs Up
To be honest it could be restored back to standard but its very tatty, if it wasnt too bad i would probably feel guilty about chopping it up.
So spares availability is pretty good then?

Here are some pics im using as inspiration -

https://www.kingbirdmotoring.com/GS550/images/07072004/rear_left_quarter.jpg

This one i really like, its a yamaha but i could achieve something similar
https://www.torkypig.com/tp/wp-content/gallery/alans-mutant/alan_bobber.jpg

And this triumph is cool too
https://www.motorcycle.com/galleries/images/Event-71605-Hansen-Damn-Show-and-Ride/earls-bobber_rdax_295x270.jpg

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There not bobbers! they dont have red rims! Laughing

Although wrapped downpipes is major cool points.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 30 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Yamaha is nice, it's probably built around a twin though? Always felt twins were more suited to this kinda thing than multis.

As for spares, just search "GS550" in shops on eBay. About the only thing that doesn't come up is luggage racks.

Don't spose the one you're looking at has a rack on does it? Razz
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 25 days between these two posts...

Endaf
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:46 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: gs550 problem Reply with quote

There are 2 issues. I kept having to stop to check directions and the bike is a troublesome starter (but usually gets going in the end). On my final check stop, after a few re-start attempts the battery gave up (I was on full beams too). Im hopeful I can get the engine turning if I turn up with the wife's car and some jump leads but...

Something has broken in my throttle system but Im not sure what it is. On one of my re-start attempts something snapped (since some recent flooding issues I've got used to starting on full throttle), it felt like it was at the handle but I guess it would. I read that replacing a throttle cable is quite a big job in which case recovery is the only option however Im wondering whether there's a spring somewhere?! Im hoping that if it's a spring at the handle I might b able to replace (or even get home without??!)

Sorry for the SOS straight off the bat here!! I have my Hayes manual and I'll study further tonight. I had a quick look this morning and couldn't see any mention of the spring (there was a page reference for throttle cable but strangely no mention of it's path through the bike. ANY knowledge would be very greatly appreciated.

PS here she is...!!!

Last edited by Endaf on 13:52 - 24 Sep 2015; edited 1 time in total

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:00 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: gs550 problem Reply with quote

Endaf wrote:
Stuff about a broken GS550

Generally best to start your own thread, and to do so in the Workshop if it's a cry for help.

Changing a throttle cable isn't all that hard, but it can be a bit of a fiddle. You shouldn't have to do anything with springs to fit it - that's all part of the carb assembly, and you're only swapping out a small component.

As for the hard starting, I'm having a similar problem with my 650, and it's most likely down to the fact that the loom is old and prone to furry connections and earthing points. There is a fix for it, but it takes some soldering work and probably isn't the best thing to start with if it's still running on the original ignition (which is IIRC points-based). If you're determined, I'd google coil relay mod, and see how you fare. I'm going to do it at some point, but laziness dictates otherwise at the moment.

If you've only got a Haynes, I'd recommend trying to get hold of one of the original factory-issued workshop manuals, because that'll include stuff like cable routing paths. Keep an eye on eBay for one.

Endaf
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:53 - 24 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pork Lord

Thanks for your response. My bad, didn't understand how the forums worked tbh!! I'll bare in mind next time

Great tips, I'll look that up

Cheers
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 343 days between these two posts...

Night rider
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:05 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Suzuki gs 550e 1981 Reply with quote

Hi Just got this bike going to give service any ideas on the best oil Ta

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki gs 550e 1981 Reply with quote

Night rider wrote:

Oil? Where? Chain? Engine? Control pivots? Your arse?

Night rider
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:08 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki gs 550e 1981 Reply with quote

Hi
Sister Sledge wrote:
Night rider wrote:

Oil? Where? Chain? Engine? Control pivots? Your arse?
ha engine Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1