Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Calls for Creationism to be Taught in UK Science Lessons

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Calls for Creationism to be Taught in UK Science Lessons Reply with quote

Sick

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7612152.stm

Quote:
Creationism should be discussed in school science lessons, rather than excluded, says the director of education at the Royal Society.

Professor Michael Reiss says that if pupils have strongly-held family beliefs about creationism such ideas should be explored.

Rather than dismissing creationism as a "misconception", he says it should be seen as a cultural "world view".

More in source.

If I may be so bold: Creationism is already taught in schools - in a lesson called "Religious Education."

The day that they start teaching creationism in my (hypothetical) children's science class is the day that I start touring the country to preach evolution in churches.
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail on the head. Logic is for Science class, lunacy is for RE.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rev Prof Reiss, a biologist and Church of England minister"

Say no more!

Mark

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creationism as a concept is fine, but bound as it currently is by religious dogma it's focus is far too narrow and suitable only for fvcktards.

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE is where creationism is taught and is where it should stay.

Science is for science and nothing more, creationism is not a science as there is no evidence, it is a story and therefore shouldn't be in science at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:58 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not be given every side of the story?

I'm not religious, but to believe that the world started as a big bang may seem logical to me and many others, the fact it may have been started by a mythical being is no more stupid when neither have been proven. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:01 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
the fact it may have been started by a mythical being is no more stupid when neither have been proven. Smile

So who created the mythical being. Or did it occur from the big bang? Wink

All the best

Keith

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well theoretically the stuff the LHC could lead us to know more about what happened around the time of the big bang, so it could be proven.

And to be honest yeah both sides to the story is good, but religion shouldn't be a part of science, cause religion is based on belief, science is based on evidence. If you tried to prove a scientific theory on the basis that you found a really old book that said so people wouldn't believe you..

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're having creationism, then they'd damn well better be including Pastafarianism on the curriculum too.

Blessed are they who are touched by His noodly appendage. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:27 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza beat me to it:
https://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Why not be given every side of the story?

There is only one side of the story, and one scientific theory. Kids are already taught about the un-scientific creationism in an un-scientific class - how can this not be sufficient?
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Jon B wrote:
the fact it may have been started by a mythical being is no more stupid when neither have been proven. Smile

So who created the mythical being. Or did it occur from the big bang? Wink

All the best

Keith

You trying to get me started? Laughing

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant master every level of physics with just access to a gcse level 2 basic physics book,in the bigger scheme of things thats all our minds are..but oo oo we can split an atom we can tell u whats inside it,but you could spend all the money on fixing the problems of the world and bringing it into balance..but we can smash two particles together at the speed of light do you know what this means!

teaching how it all started is a fucking insult as none of us have a clue all we can get is a small look within,teach kids how to quiet there minds find balance within and become untouchable as far as the ego and differing views are concerned then maybe john wont hit kev over the head with a shovel.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:03 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense for americans to learn creationism as if its science as most americans are religious nuts.

However in Britain we have a tradition of not being so nuts and most of us regard organised religion with a healthy suspicion.

Copying america may be fine for most things, but not bringing RE into the science class room and pretending its just as valid as real science.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

However in Britain we have a tradition of not being so nuts

Rubbish - millions of Britons actually care about football, and some people actually pay money to follow it!

Madness!

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the word again, "calls". All I see is one fruitcake out of 60million making a stupid suggestion.

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Rubbish - millions of Britons actually care about football, and some people actually pay money to follow it!

Funny thing is, team players change so much and very rarely have anything to do with the town they're supporting, so all they're rooting for is a particular t-shirt.
John Lennon

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
It's the word again, "calls". All I see is one fruitcake out of 60million making a stupid suggestion.

Calls plural... Thats at least 2 nutcases Laughing

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people realise that religion was based on rules for social cohesion and were taught down through the ages via stories or dogma. it became religious by people trying to out do each other or due to politics. If you strip out all the faith stuff then you can see basic rules of hygiene, law and order, social decorum.

Jumile
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up on the "Belief in Creationism" vs "Belief in the Big Bang" thing for a moment... that's really a non-sequitur, or just a plain misunderstanding of the scientific meaning of the word "theory". Creationism is dogma; the Big Bang is scientific theory. Semantics? I don't think so. Here's what proper scepticism, scientific approach and a bit of learning have taught me...

Looking at all the evidence it's clear that the ever-revised dogma of Creationism - particularly New World Creationism (the belief that earth is only 6,000 years old) as followed by fundies and some other thought-averse people - just doesn't cut it. The weight of evidence is clearly in favour of an extremely old universe, and evolution has actually been proven in a number of test cases. The most recent I'm aware of is Dr Richard Lenski's amazing E.coli Long-term Experimental Evolution Project (here's the New Scientist article about it and their subsequent handling of a disruptive anti-science activist), and other examples where the forced exile of lizards has resulted in rapid evolution here and here.

A contrary position to such things is comparable to other situations where minority groups refuse to accept the weight of evidence: 9/11 inside job, JFK still alive, faked moon landings, Flat Earth theory, etc. There will always be people who take a contrary position to the established/accepted one - it's a quirk of human nature, and of course is not always wrong (e.g. Galileo's debunking of the geocentric model of the universe).

However, the Big Bang is a scientific theory that essentially has nothing to do with evolution. It's true that one can exist because of the other (i.e. evolution can happen because the universe is old), but most people confuse correlation and causation (i.e. just because evolution happens, it doesn't mean the Big Bang has to be right; any more than standing in a garage makes you a car Smile). It's just the most probable explanation, based upon our current knowledge, understanding and theories. There are alternatives - just not very likely ones.

To place it in context, I heard recently that the Catholic Church has accepted evolution in the form of Old World Creationism (i.e. that a god created the universe and evolution as part of it), and the previous Pope had no problems the Big Bang - specifically everything after it - but advised against looking into it because "that's where God is". Not entirely sure whether he ascribed to Newton's Clockwork Universe Theory, or if he thought things are tweaked here and there.

So it doesn't have to be one or the other: if you're inclined to hold onto religious beliefs, then you don't necessarily have to reject reality to do so, providing you're sensible about it. At most you might need to suspend some disbelief, but that's fairly common for most religious people (I used to be one myself).

Wow, that became a much more in-depth and meaningful post than I'd intended. If you made it this far: thanks and sorry for the essay. What the hell am I doing writing meaningful posts on a biking forum, ffs?! Laughing

Now I'm wondering if this will attract flames or whistle harmlessly over peoples' heads...

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some rational thinking is always welcome and applauded.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:32 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
colin1 wrote:

However in Britain we have a tradition of not being so nuts

Madness!

yeah but less people get killed over football than religion

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

In some Cities they are about the same.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
colin1 wrote:

In some Cities they are about the same.

Soddom and Gommorah had football-teams? Shocked

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 14 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
most people realise that religion was based on rules for social cohesion and were taught down through the ages via stories or dogma. it became religious by people trying to out do each other or due to politics. If you strip out all the faith stuff then you can see basic rules of hygiene, law and order, social decorum.

Really? I realize that back then as now there where men who thought they could make people follow them. Religions are just the cults of that time and if anybody tries the same thing now you end up with a wako situation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3