Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This new particle-accelerator thing they're about to turn on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: This new particle-accelerator thing they're about to turn on Reply with quote

So a bunch of scientists go to various govts and say "We'd like to build this huge big thing so we can prove how the universe started. Can we have absolute shed-loads of money please?" And the govts go "Prove how the universe started? Sure, how many billions would you like?"

Something doesn't add up.

rumppole
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:18 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this power hungry and cash greedy time we live in, one can only assume that someone with priviledged knowledge of this experiment and its possible end results has thought wow....... this is gonna make me famous and rich beyond imagining.

I have read numerous reports claiming this experiment may give us a total understanding of quantum physics. I can only assume that this will give us a level of power that only the gods of myth should possess. Imagine.... a total understanding of everything.

One thing I do know.... no government spends that amount of money unless they feel it can benefit them in some way.

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: This new particle-accelerator thing they're about to tur Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
So a bunch of scientists go to various govts and say "We'd like to build this huge big thing so we can prove how the universe started. Can we have absolute shed-loads of money please?" And the govts go "Prove how the universe started? Sure, how many billions would you like?"

Something doesn't add up.

The price of this thing would have wiped out some 3rd country debts alone. A miniscule amount would have eased our utilities prices. It would have paid for many many hospitals etc etc the list goes on.
I agree something aint right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that expensive when you compare it to the 2012 olympic budget. I'd rather give the money to scientists than fund the disaster that will be the london olympics.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
It's not that expensive when you compare it to the 2012 olympic budget. I'd rather give the money to scientists than fund the disaster that will be the london olympics.

I would rather use the money to feed however many children in Britain that wont be eating tonight than the bloody olympics or a machine.

That will never happen though.

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think cern were government funded?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:20 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
I didn't think cern were government funded?

It certainly wasn't funded by the scientists themselves.

Somebody, or some group of people, private and/or govt, were given a proposal and asked for a shed-load of money. Billions of pounds. What was the proposal?

"We can more clearly understand how the universe began. Or we can finally provide the grand unifying Theory of Everything."

Practical use? Real-world value to those handing over the billions? Where's the Olympic Games razz-ma-tazz? Political advantage? World-stage politician ego-pumping opportunity?

Somebody, somewhere, has been promised a result to which the public have not been made privy.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member states of CERN are Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

The money doesn't come from a single country.

Mark

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure its like most things in science, you unlock one part of the puzzle and that can be a fairly complex and seemingly useless thing, but from that you can do so much.

It's like when electricity was invented, I'm fairly sure it didn't seem mega useful straight away but, well look around you and you can see all the uses it has.

It could just be a small step toward something bigger, or it could be a total flop. I'm not expecting much to happen tomorrow, if anything I imagine it'd be halted for a broken component or similar..

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed how little there is on the news about it?

I mean, its a potential "end the world" scare story, and no one has fully picked up on it. I would have thought it would be a headliner.

I personally think theres some supression going on with the media, someone stopping them from scaring the ignorant masses.

Obviously theres articles on the web etc, but absolutely tiny amounts on the main news on television.

That makes me suspicious about that alone. Let alone the amount of money, the unknowns etc.

They could discover a 5th dimension?
The higgs boson particle?
Black holes that "could" appear and also "could" instantaneously disappear?

Hmm. Thinking

Personally, if a Half-Life situation arises, I'll be all for it. Now THAT would make life more interesting! Fight for the survival of our species and shit!

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:

I mean, its a potential "end the world" scare story, and no one has fully picked up on it. I would have thought it would be a headliner.

I personally think theres some supression going on with the media, someone stopping them from scaring the ignorant masses.

Obviously theres articles on the web etc, but absolutely tiny amounts on the main news on television.

That makes me suspicious about that alone. Let alone the amount of money, the unknowns etc.

Its been advertised every day for the last couple of weeks on Radio 4 and there was a piece on Newsnight last night so hardly hush hush.

Mark

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the collision of these things happen naturally anyway so its nothing new. Its just they can never tell when or where so can't study it.

One of the possible outcomes is an advancement towards clean cheap energy, I'm in favour of that.

Thumbs Up

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember reading at some point that these sort of collisions happen on earth fairly frequently anyway, I don't expect us to all die tomorrow. It made some good sensationalist reporting at one point, but I can't help but laugh at people who are genuinely convinced we will all die tomorrow Laughing.

According to their website there will be a live feed, but I don't know if that means they will public publish what they find or if they will keep it in house?

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
I do remember reading at some point that these sort of collisions happen on earth fairly frequently anyway, I don't expect us to all die tomorrow. It made some good sensationalist reporting at one point, but I can't help but laugh at people who are genuinely convinced we will all die tomorrow Laughing.

According to their website there will be a live feed, but I don't know if that means they will public publish what they find or if they will keep it in house?

If big business had anything to do with funding you can bet that not everything will be published... In fact, with the current international climate, I don't think the governments involved will be that forth coming either...

Don't know about black holes forming... What if they do find a miracle energy source meaning the end of European reliance on Russia for gas and oil... I don't think they'll stand for that, Lets face it, the US/UK went in to Iraq to secure an oil supply and their own economic futures...

Heck, if Russia did try something on in this instance, if we said anything, we'd be screaming hypocrits, as we were in the case of Georgia.

Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:04 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't know enough about the subject to say whether it is safe or not, although the scare stories published have done nothing to convince me that it isn't safe.

I have no great objection to large sceince experiments if they truely will help in the development of useful technologies. If, as someone above suggested, it brought about cheap energy then the ~£5b cost would be a bargain.

All the best

Keith

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Fawbish wrote:

Its been advertised every day for the last couple of weeks on Radio 4 and there was a piece on Newsnight last night so hardly hush hush.

Mark

Old people listen to radio 4, they dont earn the government enough money to be a problem.

Young people arent up to watch Newsnight, past their bed time. They dont earn the government money either.

Think of the key demographic that they dont want to scare into rebellion.

Totally bullshitting, but shush Razz

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi
. If, as someone above suggested, it brought about cheap energy then the ~£5b cost would be a bargain.

All the best

Keith

If it gave us an infinate supply of cheap energy the government would supress it and not allow it into the public domain and the scientists involved would be kidnapped and or murdered sort of like the whistleblower of the Israeli nuclear programme
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:24 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
Think of the key demographic that they dont want to scare into rebellion.

As long as they don't put the publicity on the back of alcopops bottles then they will be fine Wink .

Itchy wrote:
If it gave us an infinate supply of cheap energy the government would supress it and not allow it into the public domain and the scientists involved would be kidnapped and or murdered sort of like the whistleblower of the Israeli nuclear programme

Then why bother splashing the cash doing it, if it means wiping out a very large number of scientists with no benefit.

All the best

Keith

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:26 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth the cash as it'll just further our understanding of everything. Who knows where it could lead, but hopefully it could lead to helping understand how to possibly CREATE energy, something that at the moment we think/know is impossible.

If that happens then there'd be no more worrying about absolute zero Very Happy

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

As long as they don't put the publicity on the back of alcopops bottles then they will be fine Wink .

Cheeky bastard Wink Supposed to respect your youngers. Or something to that effect. I dunno, read it on a bottle of cider or something.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason theres not been much media coverage is due to the nature of the topic. Can you imagine newsreaders on the 6 o'clock news trying to summarise in a 2-3 minute slot what the LHC is, why it was built, what it can/might do, and the implications of the results etc? Most people watching after coming in from a days graft will be hearing nothing but static before the words "Higgs boson" get a mention.

Not to mention, if they started sayin "Well, there is a small chance this could destroy us all" the panic that might ensue, and when nothing does happen, and the aftermath is plaiin for all to see, the news network would get the blame for inciting hysteria.

I for one dont think a bloody thing will happen, but thats because im very skeptical it will work first time round, a machine of such magnitude and the very precise nature of the subject matter makes me think it could take up to a year before they get a clean run. Then lets not forget that whilst most people have been reading up on how it could destroy the world and how it might prove this and that, I doubt anyones considered that whatever results they get are going to take months and months of careful analysis with much scrutiny. Anything that comes up will probably be contested by a variety of different experts in the field. plus, for anything top be proven in science you need to see something occur consistently, and therefore repetition is an absolute, and each repitition must undergo the same kind of analysis.

Im willing to bet we get nothing useful out of this for a good 5-10 years, and even then I'll wager that it will only present more questions and unknowns.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Then why bother splashing the cash doing it, if it means wiping out a very large number of scientists with no benefit.

All the best

Keith

Weapons technology , a gigantic coil gun perhaps? , ie akin to the Iraqi supergun but much bigger and badder than the Iraqi version, with land based nuclear powered accelerators you can bombard anybody on the planet with artillery, sort of a modern version of the Dicke Bertha 'super weapons' of WWI.

Or put bigger heavier things into orbit , like 'rods from god' kinetic bombardment system.

In that in the near future in our life times there will be resource grabs, those who grab resources will be in a stronger position to grab more resources, and western powers need a new new advantages against cheap technology. And due to game theory it will inevitably lead to war in that power A vs Power B if A grabs the resource A will be stronger, so B will also try to grab it = result = war.

Ie Stealth vs SAMs,
Reactive armour against HEAT rounds.
Chobham armour against ATGMs
Machine guns defeated infantry rushes (up to a point)
$5000 anti helicopter mines against $2 million dollar apache helicopters
Transonic anti ship missiles against aircraft carriers etc

the list goes on and on.

Whatever western powers have developed the Russians have invented something cheap and effective to defeat it.

In that if your $5 million piece of hardware can be taken out by a $30,000 missile means its worthless, thus newer much deadlier forms of warfare which are non nuclear need to be found.

The usual method of solving economic crisises is gone , ie growth we have more resources chasing less resources , ie in the 1800s we had tons of open cast mines , it required comparatively less energy and man power to extract, now we have deep deep mines which takes tons of energy to extract. Or the way 200 tons of oil will be spent to get 210 of bio fuel etc.

If you can develop a powerful wonder weapon you can grab resources at will , imagine if Hitler had gotten his A bomb in 1942 and the V2 in 1942 also (it came later) , Stalingrad , Moscow and Tankograd would have vanished in a day.

London would be in ashes as would many US cities.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:53 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Weapons technology , a gigantic coil gun perhaps? , ie akin to the Iraqi supergun but much bigger and badder than the Iraqi version, with land based nuclear powered accelerators you can bombard anybody on the planet with artillery, sort of a modern version of the Dicke Bertha 'super weapons' of WWI.

There are already easy ways of doing it with nukes. No need to spend more money on some that, if anything, is less efficient (a large non moving target is easy to take out, when there are several hundred mobile nuclear armed submarines around).

Itchy wrote:
Or put bigger heavier things into orbit , like 'rods from god' kinetic bombardment system.

Putting heavier things into orbit (not that any of the limited things I have heard about this project even hints that that as a benefit) comes down as another easy benfit.

Itchy wrote:
In that in the near future in our life times there will be resource grabs, those who grab resources will be in a stronger position to grab more resources, and western powers need a new new advantages against cheap technology.

Or they need to be able to produce the main resource they require (energy) cheaply. If they do that then everything else is a minor problem. Hence why I say £5b is a bargain (thats, what, couple of weeks oil consumption).

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

There are already easy ways of doing it with nukes. No need to spend more money on some that, if anything, is less efficient (a large non moving target is easy to take out, when there are several hundred mobile nuclear armed submarines around).

Nukes are contraversial and also leave fall out which is bad if say you need land for agriculture the USA may well be the world bread basket but things can change,

Nukes are also no good as they don't work if the other side has nukes since they may well reply in kind.

Also your big gun is so far away you can't do anything about it, in artillery can shoot 30-40 miles easy, if you have a hand gun or a tank you aren't going to be able to reply in kind.

Itchy wrote:
In that in the near future in our life times there will be resource grabs, those who grab resources will be in a stronger position to grab more resources, and western powers need a new new advantages against cheap technology.

Kickstart wrote:

Or they need to be able to produce the main resource they require (energy) cheaply. If they do that then everything else is a minor problem. Hence why I say £5b is a bargain (thats, what, couple of weeks oil consumption).

All the best

Keith

That may just be a spin off of course in that most of our tech is a hand down or spin off military technology....

The jet engine was a method to perform air to air combat more effectively, when the war ended it was handed down to civilian use.

Microwaves were spun off radar systems when people accidentally stood infront of them, developed as a more effective method of killing people who were coming to kill you.

Poison gases like chlorine were for trench warfare to gas out the enemy and gun them down as they ran away.

Thus I think the primary means is weapons tech , with the secondary aim of all the other proposed benefits..

Sort of like speed cameras their primary aim is revenue generation with a secondary aim of to prevent people speeding (when I say that I mean for the SC partnerships not the government since SC £ is a drop in the ocean of the total tax take).

If you have noticed humanity's history is one of war and we have always been spending our time looking for more effective ways to kill each other, first we had hand to hand combat then rocks then clubs then bows then nothing for 50,000 years then swords etc.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:20 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Nukes are also no good as they don't work if the other side has nukes since they may well reply in kind.

Exactly the same applies to a large land based weapon. Use it and you get nuked. Just that if you use it 2nd the nukes will take you out before you get a chance to use it. Use it first and the nukes will still take you out. No benefit really

Itchy wrote:
Also your big gun is so far away you can't do anything about it, in artillery can shoot 30-40 miles easy, if you have a hand gun or a tank you aren't going to be able to reply in kind.

Submarine based nuclear missiles could take it out from wherever they happen to be. 30~40 miles is nothing.

Itchy wrote:
That may just be a spin off of course in that most of our tech is a hand down or spin off military technology....

It is, but much of that technology started out in the civilian area. Certainly jet engines, which the military showed no interest in for ages. Think the relationship between civil and military tech is more a symbiotic relationship, just that the military has a large enough budget to invest in particular areas to kick certain promising technologies into life.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2