Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Review: Daytona Ladystar boots (aka Daytona Elevator Shoes)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:42 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Review: Daytona Ladystar boots (aka Daytona Elevator Shoes) Reply with quote

Despite being rather short in the leg department, I've never really had a massive issue with being on tiptoes on bikes. Sure, there's been a few I just can't reach the floor on at all and others I'd need help getting off the sidestand, but largely I've just lived with the reality of 'slide your arse over a bit and get one foot on the deck'.

I test rode a Sprint ST in a pair of Magnum hiking boots because I drove to the dealer and trying to get my usual Alpinestar SMXs into the footwell of a small convertible is an exercise in futility. I pootled out of the nice flat dealership, rode round for a couple of hours and parked up back at the nice flat dealership. And signed away a big wodge of money.

After taking delivery of my Sprint, and riding it in my thin-soled SMXs I came to the realisation that while it's quite tall, it really is very heavy. Listed at 210kg dry, it has to be easily pushing 250 with a full tank of fuel and some luggage on the back. Stopping on anything other than a perfectly flat surface had me doing the old arse-slide so I could get a foot down solidly. I kept trying to put both feet down (haven't done that in years!). The SMXs were quickly abandoned in favour of the Magnums when I discovered I couldn't get the bike backwards into the garage without the extra few mm the walking boots give me. Not an ideal situation for what is meant to be my hardcore touring bike, likely to be parked on all manner of tricky surfaces. Neutral

So... Ladystar boots (also available as M-star for the more compact bloke). These have an internal 2.5cm platform built into the sole with a rising wedge in the heel. With the rubber sole as well, you're looking at about a 3.5cm increase in inseam. Additionally, the wedge heel means that you can get more boot on the floor with your foot in a position that would traditionally be tiptoes.

Initially sitting on the bike I wasn't too convinced, but once you get out and ride in them, they are amazing. I can almost flatfoot the Sprint with these boots on, and am completely comfortable with the usual single foot down stopping, with my heel now actually on the floor without the bumslide. Manouvering (ie having to paddle backwards in/out of parking spaces) is considerably easier cos I can actually push on both sides, not do the one legged hop - brake - hop thing.

They feel weird for the first few minutes you ride, simply cos your foot position on the pegs is a little different to what you're used to. On some bikes you may find you need to adjust the gear lever to accomodate your thicker toes - the Sprint was fine but MarJay's Speed 4 felt a little tight (I'm afraid I've not ridden anything else in them yet). The boots themselves are leather and goretex with adjustability for big calves, and apparently Daytona can replace any of the components, so in theory they'd last you a very long time. They do look a little clumpy but lets face it, you'll look like more of a dick slowly tipping over at the traffic lights.

Price... well they're not cheap. About £260. However if you look at the cost of modifying a bike, or just consider the difference between being happy or a little uncomfy then it's really not a lot. And unlike modifying a bike, these'll work on anything so might let you start borrowing your mates bikes. Smile

In summary - for the shorter-legged rider they're definitely worth a go. They might not let you flatfoot a GS adventure* but they just might open up a whole world of bikes you can manage more confidently than before.

https://www.motoport2.f9.co.uk/images/190144.JPG

*I will be testing that theory when Jay reassembles his 1150. Mr. Green

bikerchick82
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:46 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona boots also come with a lifetime guarantee should anything go wrong with them Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:32 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... I think I've found the difference between the M star and the lady star...

The Lady star comes in size 30-39 (eur) and the M star comes in Size 40- 46 (eur).

Which is a pain because I take size 39...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The Lady star comes in size 30-39 (eur) and the M star comes in Size 40- 46 (eur).

Which is a pain because I take size 39...

Hardly look feminine though. Who would notice?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:42 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place they say 'Ladystar' is on the label on the inside.

I'm sure I saw a crossover of sizes on one site that was selling them though, blokes started at about a 5. Ladies ones definitely go bigger than 39 cos I tried a 40 at first.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:08 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Hardly look feminine though. Who would notice?

We would, now he's foolishly told us! Razz

BikerBeth
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the review. The boots gave me the extra height I needed and as said once you get used to your foot being higher on the pegs and consequently knees higher on the tank they are superb. I got mine for £250. I had a good look round shops and the internet and generally found only about a £1 difference in the price. Is this a case of price fixing?

Last edited by BikerBeth on 12:44 - 23 Sep 2008; edited 1 time in total

bikerchick82
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:44 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a case of Daytona dictating the price of a very new boot Thumbs Up

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

We would, now he's foolishly told us! Razz

I can imagine it now. Every bike meet...

"Are those ladies boots?" <snigger> Mr. Green

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Review: Daytona Ladystar boots (aka Daytona Elevator Sho Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
They might not let you flatfoot a GS adventure

For Teh Win.

nautilus
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:49 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. They're fantastic boots & make a huge difference. I've adjusted the gear shift & rear brake on most of my bikes to accommodate the extra height. I didn't realise they had a life time guarantee. My last pair leaked after about 5 years and I bought some new ones. Wear the old pair in the dry & new when wet so they're still going strong!

https://mogs-travels.blogspot.com
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1