Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Find Me A PC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Find Me A PC Reply with quote

I've got to source a PC for work for £1200 (or less) ex. VAT.
It should come from a reputable manufacturer, e.g. Dell, but doesn't need a fancy (expensive ) warranty. It will mostly be used for testing optical systems, so needs to have decent CPU/RAM/Display. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get away with playing games. Other than that just general office stuff, but often with lots open at once. It can run Vista or XP, but may end up needing dual boot to test for compatibility. Ideally it will have at least a couple of serial ports, but I guess I can just get a USB-RS232 converter?

Normally I'd just build something like this myself, so I have no idea where to start looking for something properly. When I go to the Dell website I can't seem to end up with a decent system for what is quite a lot of money!

In an ideal world, it'd cost about £800-900, and I'd get a very compact Laptop for off-site work as well....

Suggestions?
____________________
Currently Riding: Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous: GSF600s, GS500, BMW F45, CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:24 - 30 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at HP Workstations. They start about £450ish but don't come with a graphics card or display. I use one at work, and it's rock solid. The BIOS hasn't got many bells and whistles but it flies, it's dead quiet and it's got a 3y onsite warranty (not that you'd really use it, but it shows HP trust what they're selling. I think we paid about £700 including my 22" Samsung monitor, 4gb RAM and some random gfx card.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 32.18 Kb