 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:55 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: Test booked and a few questions |
 |
|
Booked my A2 for the end of this month. I'm going to be doing my daily commute 2 weeks solid as practice and a 2 day course / test. I've been riding at least once a week for a few months now.
I have a few questions about being test standard though. I was hoping to get a couple of hour long lessons before I start my run up to the test but unfortunately everyone i rang is fully booked. So...
1. I read wisenerl's excellently written guides, it made me realise I've already developed a few bad habits on my obs. Having driven for 11 years I'm riding with just the same obs as in my car but with extra care on the shoulder check. So, when am i expected to do a rearward check? is it common to do so on a straight road? Also mentioned was the left check on a roundabout - I've never heard of that one before. Basically, what are the obs routines I should be practicing before my course...
2. Filtering, is it allowed / expected? While i feel fairly confident filtering, it's also just an extra opportunity to do something wrong. Is it ok to just sit in traffic or should I try filtering on the test?
Any advice would be appreciated. ____________________ current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com |
|
 deanoet World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:36 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Obs
Changing road position, turning onto a new road, coming off a roundabout = shoulder checks
When coming off a roundabout i was told to check right shoulder and left before moving off the roundabout
Before setting off from lights / give way / stop sign check both shoulders, bikes and scooters do sometimes come up along side you
When moving if you need a shoulder check, check mirrors first
When riding normally check mirrors every 30 seconds, be aware of what is behind you
If the speed limit changes, shoulder checks before slowing down / speeding up, if someone is overtaking, let them finish before you speed up
it is surprising how quick you pick it up, esp with the instructor chewing your ear if you forget one
Dont filter, less riding is less chance to make mistakes ____________________ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|
 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:17 - 09 Oct 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks deano, really helpful, just a couple more.
Should i check both shoulders when changing speed or just the right?
Am i likely to need to shoulder check on a long straight road or are just mirrors fine?
I'm quite glad about the not filtering being ok, I guess I'll just pretend i take up as much space as a car and wait like the rest of the traffic on my test. ____________________ current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com |
|
 deanoet World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
|