NiteMare
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:35 - 18 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers ZRX61, that link is now in my favourites Thumbs Up

i ain't fixed it enough

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1936 atlas lathe that I bought for £70. It's come-in very handy but is quite low-powered and slow - but I love it.
I have my eye on a Colchester which is in excellent condition and much bigger, but it's 3-phase. If I buy it I'll have to convert it to single phase and suffer the performance loss. The guy also has a Bridgeport clone for sale wich is also in great shape but I have no way of getting it into my workshop Sad

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 18 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a lathe from an old boy today. He had a heart attack recently so can't stand up. It came with loads of bits. Took 3-4 of us to lift it into the van up my motorcycle ramp. Will post up pictures tomorrow. Cool

MattHirst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 18 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, these little lathes are childs play....we got some reyt monster ones at work. Although i work on CNC's (started out on the NC's for you old gits Razz )

For a small lathe (when i say small i mean 4/5 foot bed) you will be paying £500 for an oldish one (the college i went to sold all theirs and they went for about £600 each) but you have to bear in mind, they run off 3 phase.

So you can have to £1000 or so to get a 3 phase installed into your house/garage or get an invertor but with an invertor, it won't perform half as well and they are very inefficient (and cost a lot on your leccy bill Razz )

Anything i need making, i just stop at work for an extra 15 mins or so after my shift and jump on a manual lathe. Aslong as its your own material or scrap they don't mind.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 18 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
I bought a lathe from an old boy today. He had a heart attack recently so can't stand up. It came with loads of bits. Took 3-4 of us to lift it into the van up my motorcycle ramp. Will post up pictures tomorrow. Cool

Cool, put some pics up and don't forget the attachments. Can you remember the model of machine you bought?

It's really important to make sure the thing is solidly fixed down and the ways are parallel. You use a special highly sensitive spirit level for doing that. Loads of info on levelling a lathe out there just do some searches.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 18 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt: I'm looking for a small bench-top mill to fit CNC control to. Gonna use this kit or something similar. More of a curiosity than a serious working project for me:

https://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/stepper_motors.html

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 18 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon-Me1 wrote:
mr_fisty wrote:

Screwcutting is difficult though especially a multi start.

Just buy a tap and die set for doing threads, it will be so much easier.

Tap and die set for a square muliti start thread.? Go on then find me one.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:48 - 19 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit unfair that, most people will only be making standard 60-degree threads and a novice will struggle with even that let-alone single-pointing a multi-start acme. I thought it was a pretty good suggestion.

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 19 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lathe i got is badged as a keighley lift but is exactly the same as this https://www.lathes.co.uk/denham/page2.html. It came with boxes of tools and custom bits. Already cut a 8mm 1.25 pitch on it today Cool .
https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/dr_klause/19102008021.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta be well-pleased with that. Looks like a real beauty. Make sure you don't expose the bed & ways to any sort of grinding dust, and don't be tempted to use a grinder to cut off any parts whilst in the chuck (unless you cover everything first). Situate your bench-grinder as far as possible from the lathe. Grinding dust ruins lathe beds faster than you would ever believe.

The Keileigh is listed on page 4 of that URL if you missed it Smile

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
You gotta be well-pleased with that. Looks like a real beauty. Make sure you don't expose the bed & ways to any sort of grinding dust, and don't be tempted to use a grinder to cut off any parts whilst in the chuck (unless you cover everything first). Situate your bench-grinder as far as possible from the lathe. Grinding dust ruins lathe beds faster than you would ever believe.

The Keileigh is listed on page 4 of that URL if you missed it Smile

Yeah its strange... it's not the keighley as thats completey different. It's the denham junior mk2 it even has the same metal screwcutting chart and the already annoying tailstock.

It's in amazing condition. The old boy had it for years and use to run a workshop. He had a heart attack so can't stand for too long. He seemed really happy it was going to someone young wanting to learn about lathes etc. It's got boxes of dies, taps, cutting tools,carbide bits. All for £300

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
Matt: I'm looking for a small bench-top mill to fit CNC control to. Gonna use this kit or something similar. More of a curiosity than a serious working project for me:

https://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/stepper_motors.html

Do you know what mill you'll be going for?

I've bought a Sealey Sm25 (Here) and I can't exactly say it was very good for the money. Very little movement in the bed and any time you want to change the speed you need to wind the head right up to the top, lift the lid and move the belts. Maybe it was the vise (awful POS that is better suited for a bench than a mill), maybe it was me (no skills) but I couldn't get it to cut square at all.

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a good book on using a lathe?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:

Do you know what mill you'll be going for?

I've bought a Sealey Sm25 (Here) and I can't exactly say it was very good for the money. Very little movement in the bed and any time you want to change the speed you need to wind the head right up to the top, lift the lid and move the belts. Maybe it was the vise (awful POS that is better suited for a bench than a mill), maybe it was me (no skills) but I couldn't get it to cut square at all.

It looks like a very light-duty machine, but it doesn't look that rough. Were you holding the end-mill in the chuck? That's never going to be a good idea. From the pic I don't see any way of tramming the head. Table movements look average for the size of machine.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:

It's in amazing condition. The old boy had it for years and use to run a workshop. He had a heart attack so can't stand for too long. He seemed really happy it was going to someone young wanting to learn about lathes etc. It's got boxes of dies, taps, cutting tools,carbide bits. All for £300

That's a serious bargain. I bet the tooling comes to much more than that. Carbide tooling is meant for higher-powered machines. I prefer to use HSS blanks and grind my own tools. Still very-much a novice at it though.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah. Mere toys. I used to work on one of these things when I was at Bae. This is a proper machine. Spent some time on 60ft long wing spar machines as well, but cant find a pic of those.

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/owdamer/other%20stuff/flexitrace.jpg

I'd recommend the colchester lathes. I used those as an apprentice, plus I did an nvq turning course on one.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody big machine! What do you do - feed in lengths of strip-metal and buckets of plastic granules one end and it spits-out ready-made 747's the other?

I guess you only work half-day on Saturday so all you get out is a dash-7 Very Happy

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
Bloody big machine! What do you do - feed in lengths of strip-metal and buckets of plastic granules one end and it spits-out ready-made 747's the other?

I guess you only work half-day on Saturday so all you get out is a dash-7 Very Happy

No. I used to bolt 3 large titanium forgings onto one table then set the machine running. While it was machining on one table i would have to start loading up the other table. It would take about 3 days & nights constant machining to finish the process on each table. Once you finished on one table you started work on the components on the other table while you stripped down the side you had finished, clean the table down and reset for the next process. The machine was run over 4 shifts. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
Klause wrote:

That's a serious bargain. I bet the tooling comes to much more than that. Carbide tooling is meant for higher-powered machines. I prefer to use HSS blanks and grind my own tools. Still very-much a novice at it though.

I know im dead chuffed with it. I tried to give him more money for it as I didn't know it was coming with all the bits (at least 4 boxes worth) but he refused. Gave me loads of tiny bore gauges and all sorts.

Ordered a few books today. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2