Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The Official Long Distance Biking thread for newbies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:27 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: The Official Long Distance Biking thread for newbies Reply with quote

I've created this thread so that new people to long distance motorcylce travel (like myself) can learn from more experienced riders about long distance travelling i.e. via 'A' roads and motorways.

This should include:

1) Checklist of things to always include
2) Things to watch out for and why
3) Anecdotes from riders about experiences they've had

Please sticky this and contribute!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you consider long distance?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 miles or more using a major trunk route...I guess
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle 60 miles in a few hours, it's not considered a big distance imo.

Anythig less than 200 miles in considered short to me, and I'm sure to many others on here. Your question is far too open to interpretation as people obviously have different ideas of what is considered 'long distance'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbiker0507 wrote:
60 miles or more using a major trunk route...I guess


Get on bike, ride to destination.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything less than 150 miles is just a run around the block imo.

Theres a thread in the touring section for what you need to tour.It will apply to riding long distance too..
____________________
DRZ-400sm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say over 150 miles could be considered a long journey, and for that I would make sure I;

Am Warm
Am Waterproof (if the weather might rain)
Have a mobile (charged)
Have a debit card (with money)
Have directions and if necessary a map
Have anything I may need (spare clothes for over night etc)

As long as the bike is mechanically sound and fuelled I wouldn't bother with much more to be honest.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Newbiker0507
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the corrections, I am a newbie...

60 miles is about Nottingham-Northampton, a route I used to do when I drove. Seeing as I took the motorway I assumed it was more than a short trip...whatever though...

150 miles or more it is
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, 200 miles is a normal Sunday morning hoon for me.

I just do the usual checks that I do before I leave the house whether I'm walking/caging/biking.

Arrow Keys
Arrow Wallet
Arrow Mobile Phone
Arrow Cigarettes
Arrow Lighter

Sorted.

If anything goes wrong I have RAC card (Wallet), I can phone the RAC and I can chill out with a ciggie whilst waiting for 'em to turn up (Never had to call them yet).

Never owned waterproofs, (yes I do ride in the rain, I just get wet) but I did recently invest in some rather unfashionable waterproof gloves as my pinkies get really painful when they're soaked through and the cold wind hits my Alpinestars GP Pros.

Oh, I've learned to think about whether I'd need the clear visor before leaving now too! Rolling Eyes

HTH. Thumbs Up
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you *need* is some means of paying for things. Stick your cashcard in your pocket and off you pop.

Most people probably carry their mobile phone with them these days. And if you have breakdown cover, it makes sense to have the details with you.

As we've seen so far, one person's epic journey is another's tootle around the block so feel free to go crazy on the planning and preparation if it makes you feel better. But in the end, as long as you've got money to keep sticking fuel in it, you're sorted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
What do you consider long distance?

FWIW in winter (shorter days) I'd consider anything that required more than a tank full of fuel or a trip of 2 to 3 hours continuous riding.
So, for me, that'd be anything over around 200 miles round trip.

In summer I'd double that for it to be considered long distance.

Just the way my mind works, it's time that's important, not distance per se.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 6.05 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 68.46 Kb