Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does your bike ever warm up in this freezing cold mist?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

repiV wrote:

Sounds like it's definitely carb icing then in that case. I got about half the usual fuel economy on freezing days before I sorted the problem...it's an expensive issue to have!

My main tank ran out of petrol today after only 105 miles. Usually i get 125-130 Shocked

I filled it up with Shell Super Unleaded, so i'll see if it makes any difference.

teabag
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:11 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought carb icing was caused by the pressure drop and vapourisation of the fuel in the carb causing a temperature drop well below ambient which causes the moisture in damp air to freeze.

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver_FF wrote:
Gotta give full credit to Honda - another CBR600f here that starts first time in this weather and doesn't even splutter as the automatic choke does its business Thumbs Up

Just gotta be careful though as it tends to idle around 3.5krpm when its still warming up... which is like 18mph in first gear... You tend to shoot off rather rapidly XD

+1

Except i don't have any of this fancy auto choke jigery pokery. Start the bike an it idles for maybe 2 minutes whislt i sort out moving it out front, getting my gloves on and ajusting my mirrors. Over the 2 minutes i ween it off the choke until it will hold its idle, which it does very well.

Never have any trouble, runs sweet.

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:58 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually takes about 5 mins to get my Triple up to temp.
Now it takes around 10ish.

Annoying when you want/need to open it up abit.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
Oliver_FF wrote:
Gotta give full credit to Honda - another CBR600f here that starts first time in this weather and doesn't even splutter as the automatic choke does its business Thumbs Up

Just gotta be careful though as it tends to idle around 3.5krpm when its still warming up... which is like 18mph in first gear... You tend to shoot off rather rapidly XD

+1

Nice starters maybe but you won't be singing Honda's praises when it needs the CCT replacing within the next 5k. Laughing

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Nice starters maybe but you won't be singing Honda's praises when it needs the CCT replacing within the next 5k. Laughing

Ha! It's a part that costs less than £40. And it's really easy to replace, did it myself shortly after i got the bike, because it was making a sound that i was worried about. The afore mentioned sound i have since found is "normal" to this bike. They just have very noisy valve gear.

The whole "Oh noes, it's making noise, my CCT is going to explode" is just rubbish. Have you ever seen one? I have. There's bugger all on one that could break! They rattle because of the way the tip is held onto the shaft of the part.

So basically, Honda are awesome an your opinion is invalid!

Thumbs Up Mr. Green

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
The whole "Oh noes, it's making noise, my CCT is going to explode" is just rubbish. Have you ever seen one? I have. There's bugger all on one that could break! They rattle because of the way the tip is held onto the shaft of the part.

Try telling that to the people who have owned firestorms and ignored the 'rattle'. Horror stories I tell theé! Best be off anyway, got to go and price a replacement CCT for my srad.... Laughing Embarassed

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Away with thee! Stop telling nasty lies about my beloved Mr. Honda.

And go fix your broken SRAD Razz

MattShill
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about carb icing since I've never had to deal with it, but as far as I've heard the main cause is the expansion that the fuel undergoes as it is sucked into the low pressure airstream. Something like the fuel getting vapourised is effectively expanding, which reduces the temperature in the way you'll have seen if you've ever touched a spent camping gas cansiter as the last gas escapes. The effect can drastically reduce the temperature, so even though you wouldn't expect it, it still may be possible at relatively 'high' ambient temperatures. Couple that to the fact that running with the choke on creates even lower pressure in the air flow, I guess its possible that it could ice.

Having said that though, my bike runs like a dog if I actually ride it with the choke on in any weather, and the rough running could be cause you're forcing it to run rich. I reckon the choke is only meant to be used until it'll idle smoothly by itself, and even if it's a bit lumpy at low revs I'll still take the choke off as soon as I start riding and just hold it at about 2/3K on the throttle at traffic lights and stuff if it still feels like it needs it. I've been riding the kwak through the winter and it hasn't let me down even in mornings when I've had to shake ice off the cover first. Not bad for a 10 year old budget bike.

'98 Kwak ER-5

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a can of Silkolene Pro Boost today. I hope this is the same or similar to the FST stuff. It does say it reduces carb icing on the back.

However, it comes with fuck all 'directions of use' so i have no idea what i'm doing with it.

I have poured 60ml of the stuff into my petrol tank, which was close'ish to being full with fuel.

When i need to fill my tank up again, do i need to chuck some more of this Pro Boost stuff in there?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:09 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Re: Does your bike ever warm up in this freezing cold mist? Reply with quote

Hi

apple tango - I would doubt it is carb icing as it appears to be happening from cold. With carb icing I would expect it to be OK when started, and OK in low speed riding, and become a problem after running at speed.

Starting it and warming it up for a while would have negligable effect on carb icing, but would help if it is just running lean at idle.

If it is a bit lean or cold then check the thermostat is working OK, and consider blanking part of the radiator off (bodge but might help). Also consider richening the idle mixture up a touch.

apple tango wrote:
I bought a can of Silkolene Pro Boost today. I hope this is the same or similar to the FST stuff. It does say it reduces carb icing on the back.

Think Pro Boost is just an octane booster.

iooi wrote:
Well the freezing point of petrol is -60, Yes i know that its mixed with very cold moist air.

Carb icing is nothing to do with freezing petrol. It is moisture in the air freezing in the carb. Cold air going through the carb takes heat from the carb body, as does fuel drawn from the carb, resulting in the carb body being so cold that moisture in the air condensing inside the carb and freezing.

If it gets cold enough then it isn't a problem as the moisture content of the air becomes pretty much non existant.

From memory the ideal temperature for carb icing is between zero and 5 degrees.

I have had carbs covered in frost on the outside (where there is far less airflow) due to the heat taken from them, despite the carb sitting just behind that warm engine.

That said, carb icing is very rare compared to the number of times it is blamed for problems.

All the best

Keith

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

apple tango wrote:

However, it comes with fuck all 'directions of use' so i have no idea what i'm doing with it.

I have poured 60ml of the stuff into my petrol tank, which was close'ish to being full with fuel.

When i need to fill my tank up again, do i need to chuck some more of this Pro Boost stuff in there?

Quote:
PS: Pro-Boost only has a minor effect on carburettor icing; it is primarily an octane booster. Likewise, Pro-FST
has a minor positive effect on octane rating, but it is not a good idea to use it as an octane booster, because it's a carburettor de-icer!

Quoted from here;
https://www.silkoleneoil.com/techtip7.htm

So it'll do what you bought it for, it's just that Pro FST would do it better.

ajb
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:46 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:
dont know if its just me but my bike loves the cold, it feels loads better to ride, much more responsive on the throttle.
the colder the better as far as mines concerned.

Colder air is denser, more air = better combustion.

Superchargers and intercoolers work this way.

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if i put in a full tank of fuel from being nearly empty, the motor has a fair bit of extra kick. Fuel fresh from the pumps is colder than whats been sat in your tank for a while, as it's stored in tanks under the ground, nice and cool.

Colder fuel = Denser, but more to the point, it cools the air that it being sucked in with it.

cicatrez
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:22 - 18 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really had any problems. I try and start it normally, if it dont work, half choke. if that works, I'll test full choke to see if it idles better. then ill use that for half a minute. and test half choke to see if it idles more freely. then I just go back indoors and carry on putting my jacket,helmet and gloves and getting my backpack. When I'm suited up and ready to leave. I sit on the bike, choke off, hear how it idles, and giving it afew full revs of the throttle to make sure it doesn't sound like its flooding, or if its still cold and needs more choke, but usually it doesnt at this point. and is is after warming it for 10min or so.

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:54 - 18 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Noxious89123
PS: Pro-Boost only has a minor effect on carburettor icing; it is primarily an octane booster. Likewise, Pro-FST
has a minor positive effect on octane rating, but it is not a good idea to use it as an octane booster, because it's a carburettor de-icer![/quote]

Quoted from here;
https://www.silkoleneoil.com/techtip7.htm

So it'll do what you bought it for, it's just that Pro FST would do it better.[/quote]

Cheers Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2