Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Some c*nt online shop...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Some c*nt online shop... Reply with quote

...HAS passed my email address to 3rd parties. Tick boxes declining this privacy violation seem to be ignored.

I got hardly any spam, and no phishing/virus emails to this particular hotmail account I have, until I started christmas shopping online, that is.

Then I get a phishing attempt from someone purporting to be HSBC, THREE purporting to be Alliance & Leicester (I bank with neither) a 'Lottery Win of $1million' and a particulary nasty one which poses as 'A friend has sent you a Hallmark card' with the 'link' taking you to a *.exe file of God knows what nastiness.

They all have logos & all, still some appalling pidgeon english, but the cheek of one of the A&L ones, actually uses some of the real phishing warning wording!! Cheeky bastards.

Fair play for the Hotmail spam filter for catching them all.

A&L one using parts of actual phishing warning wording:

Quote:
Dear Customer,



Latest News


ALERT MESSAGE: SUSPICIOUS E-MAILS - PHISHING FOR DEBIT CARD NUMBERS AND PASSWORDS:


Please be informed that currently fraud e-mails are sent to customers and non - customers of Alliance & Leicester Commercial Bank requesting to provide their online banking details.


In any case you should not provide any of your personal information or banking details.


A new Second Level Password has been sent to all our Retail customers in your online

Please activate the new one.

Start now the Alliance & Leicester Commercial Bank authentication process. (Hyperlink goes to https://61-30-**-113.static.tfn.net.tw/) Rolling Eyes


When you log onto the service we will ask you to accept the updated Terms and Conditions.


Once you have accepted these, you will be able to access your accounts in the usual way.


Alliance & Leicester Commercial Bank would never ask you to give through e-mail or any other mean any private and confidential information.

If you receive in your mailbox a suspicious e-mail appearing to be sent by Alliance & Leicester Commercial Bank,

please ignore it and contact us now. (same hyperlink)

Alliance & Leicester Commercial Bank Online Billing Department(???).


It's so sad that the not-so computer literate will click on these links and be fucked, it's different from 419 'victims' as they are motivated by greed, phishing victims are totally innocent.

Spammers/phishers/scammers should be lined up and have unopened tins of spam forced into every orifice using compressed air (and some new ones made to fit more tins in), until they explode. Middle Finger Mad Middle Finger CUNTS! And the wankers who gave them my email address - CUNTS! Laughing
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of spam and dodgy emails my wife gets is unreal.

Managed to unsubscribe from a big fistful and then its just random, non whimsical nonsense not even addressed to her email address that you can't. Even her own email address has started sending spam and crap?

Grrrr!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Re: Some c*nt online shop... Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
...HAS passed my email address to 3rd parties. Tick boxes declining this privacy violation seem to be ignored.


To catch you out you will find that they vary from opt in tick boxes to opt out ones. They should really be opt in boxes.

DVLA are bad for this. They have opt out tick boxes for spam (dodgy enough) when renewing road tax on the page you enter your credit card details. However get something wrong on the page so it returns it to be updated and it has wiped out the contents of the opt out boxes.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting e-mails about 'my' accounts with A&L and other banks, funny really as I only have 1 bank account and have never received an e-mail from them.
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackwolf
Burgerfist



Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i got one too, even tho ive never put a foot into a Halifax bank...

Quote:
Dear Halifax Customer,

Halifax PLC. has been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorized
use of the Halifax Online accounts.

Due to this, you are requested to follow the provided steps and confirm your Online
Banking details for the safety of your Accounts.

Customer Update

However, Failure to do so may result in temporary account suspension. Please understand
that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.

Thanks for your co-operation.
Security Center Advisory
Halifax PLC.

____________________
Current: Ducati Multistrada 1200s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get loads ! the flava or the last two days is soldiers looking to give me money. Rolling Eyes I get loads of phishing ones from banks I am not with. Lottery wins etc

I noticed however when I changed my email address on ebay,paypal and tesco I got loads in my other email from all the above. I got the odd money debt one for some reason before that and now its everyone emailing me asking me for money or telling me they want to give me money and phishing scams. So one of them sites I changed with passed my addy on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The give away is always the 'Dear Customer' bit. No bank will ever call you that in an offical communication, they know what your name is and will use it. Thumbs Up
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear customer,

You are too stupid to use a computer, and therefore you should give me all of your bank details including your pin numbers. I'll try to trick you into thinking I'm from Nigeria, and I have a vast amount of cash to deposit in your account.

I am however working for the russian mafia for subsistence wages and I'm kept in this cold dark cellar working on an ancient 486 trying to stop my family from taking a dirt nap.

Yours sincerely,

Barclays Bank/HSBC/TSB/RBS/Santander/LLoyds/delete as appropriate.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seem to get any spam to my proper email accounts, but to my hotmail i get alsorts of rubbish. Just as well i don't use it.

I'm with Lloyds TSB and everytime i logon to my internet bank (through the internet browser, not an email) i get a message saying 'we haven't emailed you in *insert amount of weeks here*, if you get an email from us, it is most likely that it isn't unless you requested us to email you. Please delete the email immediatley and report it to our team' or something along those lines.

Even if you know the link is 99% genuine, it is better to load up IE/firefox and go to the website yourself, rather than following a link. Some of these bank detail robber people actually make pretty good fake emails and they could very easily be mistaken for a genuine email by someone that isn't very 'techy' (i'm guessing older people are specifically at risk)
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats nothing. I get between 80-120 spam emails a day. Admittadly GMAIL is good at filtering them out and hardly ever get spam in my inbox or good mail in my spam but I still check.

Most are selling viagra, cialis, bank loans, get rich quick schemes and replica watches.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the banks in the e-mails (the legitimate versions of them). They do actually have teams of people (probably one uber geek) who try to stop this and enjoy tracking down and where possible prosecuting people who are using their trademarks illegally. One thing banks actually do right!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Contact the banks in the e-mails (the legitimate versions of them). They do actually have teams of people (probably one uber geek) who try to stop this and enjoy tracking down and where possible prosecuting people who are using their trademarks illegally. One thing banks actually do right!


I usually do, I make a point of reporting the odd ones that come to my other email posing as paypal/ebay etc.

Just frustrating to now have received 6 of these in a couple of days in my previously uncluttered email.

It's a battle that will never be won though (for the uber geeks), if scammers/phishers are stopped/caught, there will be hundreds waiting to take their place... Evil or Very Mad
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nufkamp
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gmail, and to their credit they catch almost all the cr@p, I probably get less than 5 a week that make it through. When I go into the spam folder it's about 50% replica watches and 50% viagra/cialis/bigger knob tablets. Haven't had a 419'er or a phishy bank one for ages.
____________________
As seen on Google Street View https://tinyurl.com/yfdvojc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TomR6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 email addresses to avoid crap like that, have one for important things, and have the one for my msn and buying stuff online, not too bothered about whats in there.
____________________
2005 Yamaha R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Re: Some c*nt online shop... Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
...HAS passed my email address to 3rd parties. Tick boxes declining this privacy violation seem to be ignored.
Then I get a phishing attempt from someone purporting to be HSBC, THREE purporting to be Alliance & Leicester (I bank with neither) a 'Lottery Win of $1million' and a particulary nasty one which poses as 'A friend has sent you a Hallmark card' with the 'link' taking you to a *.exe file of God knows what nastiness.

Fair play for the Hotmail spam filter for catching them all.



Quote:
Just frustrating to now have received 6 of these in a couple of days in my previously uncluttered email.


Well the phising one's won't have come from retailers.

Best guess is like all hotmail and other FREE accounts the details are spoofed by some hack that allows wildcards to catch new addresses.

Just set up a addy and don't use it. See how long before it gets sussed.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give your real email to sites that insist on it - use something like https://www.mailinator.com or https://slopsbox.com

Thumbs Up
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nufkamp
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:12 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good site is https://www.jetable.org/en/index which creates an addy that lasts for only 30 days. Perfectly long enough for registering on websites.
____________________
As seen on Google Street View https://tinyurl.com/yfdvojc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know (here?) used to have a domain name that was used solely for setting up email addresses. They enabled the catch-all, then whenever they signed up for anything, they would use the company name in the email address.

e.g. if they were signing up to be a member of BCF, they would enter their email address as [email protected]

That way if they ever got any spam they could instantly tell who had passed their details on. I think they caught out more than one company in this way.
____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
Someone I know (here?) used to have a domain name that was used solely for setting up email addresses. They enabled the catch-all, then whenever they signed up for anything, they would use the company name in the email address.

e.g. if they were signing up to be a member of BCF, they would enter their email address as [email protected]

That way if they ever got any spam they could instantly tell who had passed their details on. I think they caught out more than one company in this way.


<Waves>

Set up your own free domain with dyndns.org, set up your own mail server on an old PC with Linux installed, shove in something like MailScanner and think yourself unlucky if you see more than one or two spams a month. And with the catchall, you can see who the sleazebags are.

Plus you can set up nice mail rejection messages to appear in their mail server logs, such as the ever-popular "555. Fuck off, you spamming cunts."
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be me Major Grooves, however using a catchall, they eventually get a hold of your domain name and start sending stuff to random names at the domain... So I get stuff to '[email protected]' and '[email protected]'

Latest one I had was spam from Brothers Cider to '[email protected]' or something like that. A good tip is not to post up email addresses like the above; spiders trawl the internet looking for just such things, I wouldn't be surprised if they also look for people separating them with spaces and the word at.

Due to the random names @ my domain, at some point I'll lock it down and do it so only ones I 'allow' will get to me - need to find an easy way to do this, so that I can do it from anywhere (ie so I can use an easy web-form on my fancy mobile, etc.)

Once you've started get spam, there's no real way to stop it apart from spam filters (which I always end up checking myself anyway).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

An insurance company did the same to me, I always make sure when filling any online forms in I check the right boxes, and I'm well aware some are opt-in and some opt-out. A company fowarded my email address to a marketing company called "The Trading Floor". I now get endless emails from them all sent to the email address I use for anything insurance/car/house related so can't block them. I've tried to remove myself from the list endless times and I rang the company in the end to get it stopped and he confirmed it may take a month for it all to stop, it's been about 8months and it still won't stop if the place was local i'd be knocking doors down.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't picked up my 42" plasma telly Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 17 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
An insurance company did the same to me, I always make sure when filling any online forms in I check the right boxes, and I'm well aware some are opt-in and some opt-out.

That would be 'The Bike Insurer' - same with me, that address now gets spammed.
They're obviously less than reputable, so haven't bothered to even try asking them to remove me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.81 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 128.57 Kb