Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone else find new years depressing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Is new years depressing?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 35 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 62

Author Message

JonT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Anyone else find new years depressing? Reply with quote

I just find new years to be a point in time when I am forced to think about what I failed to achieve in the year.

It is also worse each year because you learn to know that regardless of any enthusiasm you have at the start of the year it rarely makes any difference.

Happy new year everyone!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No as I take it as a kick in the pants to go do the things you want to do , (then again 6/10 of the things I wanted to do in 2008 were achieved).

The only bit I find depressing is the people who've left my life and hence the olde acquaintance be forgot, and 2008 has been a bit of a blood bath (figuratively) people emigrating , deaths , people going back packing and never coming back and such like.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just another day that happens to fall within a man-made time-frame they call the calendar. This particular time it's the turn of the Gregorian calendar that Christianity uses. Not much significance in the big scheme of things, other than the Earth revolving around the Sun nearly (short by 6 hours) another time. We just happen to be here whilst it happens. Meh.
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I do hate it
(worse than Christmas, actually).

But that's cos I hate all that frantic false happiness.

And I hate having to kiss people I wouldn't normally kiss, but I think that hearks back to when I was a gawky teenager and would go to parties and everybody was too shy and stupid to kiss each other, it sort of rubbed off over the years and now I really hate it. Ugh.

Its made worse now by the fact that my beloved cat died right on midnight last new years eve, so its not really any better for me.

I do like the "Right, I'm gonna do something!" mentality, because I think we all need to be forced to reassess ourselves and how we are/where we are going in life occasionally ... but I don't think that its absolutely necessary EVERY single year (or at the same time of year, thats a load of bollocks, you can reassess yourself and improve ANY time, you just set yourself a date)

... and I don't think that anybody should really commit to "giving things up" on New Years Day, its a stupid time to try to tell your brain you should start behaving in a healthier/less irrational way.

I don't think dwelling on failure is a good way to live life at all. I think observing and being aware of failures is a good thing, and best used as a tool to show where things can be improved is a better way of dealing with such things.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:44 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
... the "Right, I'm gonna do something!" mentality...


I am kind of feeling that right now, but its annoying when there isn't an obvious thing to change.

Like for example I could do with eating more healthily and doing some more exercise... but wait a second, why?

If I did those things would it actually make any significant difference? I am currently "good enough" physically that I am not restricted from doing anything so what difference would being healthy make apart from inconveniencing me some. (If anyone has any experience of generally being happier through being healthier then please let me know).

I think if there was something I could change that would make a positive influence without the thing required to make that change being too much of a pain in the arse then I would of done it by now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:11 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find NY any more depressing than any other day: because I don't impute it with any significance. It's meaningless, in terms of its actual significance.


I don't feel my "failures" (and I've failed at a lot) any more intensely on the 31 Dec than I do on the 16 April, or the 23 of September.

Part of the problem is that people tend to reflect on their lives very infrequently nowadays, just drifting along with their distractions of work and play, and then a day like today comes when it's "accceptable" to reflect on things and it suddenly dawns on the drifting masses that they're wasting their lives.

Kinda like a mid life crisis. If it takes you 40-50 years to realise you're a loser, than you really are one.

I have failed at most of what I wanted to do with my life. that's the truth. I'm a shadow of the man I dreamed of being. I don't need Elton John singing in the NY realise this - I know it every day of the year.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:12 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually enjoy New Year, but this time I said farewell to my best friend on New Year's eve morning & spent the night on my own with a heavy heart up at Kirkby Lonsdale with just my bike for company.
A plus point was that I rode last year on Jan 1st & ended the year with a bike ride, I have also had my first ride of 2009 with very few cars on the road, but quite a bit of ice due to temps of -3 and colder.

Happy New Year Thumbs Up
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said yes but this year is different my life is about to totally change and last year was so crap that this year cant be the same as I have a baby due in 25 days! Shocked So I actually was glad to see the back of 2008. This one has got to be more interesting.

I did get depressed in the past as year to year seemed to be the same for me.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimistic bunch of fuckers arent ya.

Quote:
It is also worse each year because you learn to know that regardless of any enthusiasm you have at the start of the year it rarely makes any difference.

Put some bloody effort in then.

If you really want to do something then do it. Take the Dakar for instance, and a vague biking relevance. People spend their whole years based solely around this one event that if they make it lasts 2 weeks, and most don't even make it.

"Most of us are as happy as we make up our minds to be" - William Adams.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:
Part of the problem is that people tend to reflect on their lives very infrequently nowadays, just drifting along with their distractions of work and play, and then a day like today comes when it's "accceptable" to reflect on things and it suddenly dawns on the drifting masses that they're wasting their lives.


No so sure. Plenty of reflection and feeling a failure for the rest of the year, just a new year rounds that all up to make me feel even more of a failure.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Optimistic bunch of fuckers arent ya.

Quote:
It is also worse each year because you learn to know that regardless of any enthusiasm you have at the start of the year it rarely makes any difference.

Put some bloody effort in then.

If you really want to do something then do it. Take the Dakar for instance, and a vague biking relevance. People spend their whole years based solely around this one event that if they make it lasts 2 weeks, and most don't even make it.

"Most of us are as happy as we make up our minds to be" - William Adams.


Oi I am optimistic! I am actually excited about this year. Its totally life changing this one. Mr. Green
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

About twenty family and friends went to the Aunts pub last night, had a laugh, had way to much lager, smashed a pile of beef sandwiches, got flashed by a random brunette, bumped into an old friend from school, said happy new year to everyone and was back in the house wrapped up in bed with a cup of tea by ten past twelve eating twiglets...

I'd done my bit and couldn't be arsed to stay any longer...so...Meh...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love New Years day, apart from the presents its pretty much the same as Christmas day, big meal, lots of wines, cheeses, children doing jigsaws etc.

Bit too old for going out on New Years Eve though.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only hate NYD for the hangover, of which I had my first one in about 5 - 6 years.

I'm glad to see the back of 08, was another year for learning and hurt. I'm feeling quite optermistic, Ive seen lots of good in some people whihc has restored some of my faith.

I have a new Tattoo, a nice holiday and an opperation that should make me feel much better coming up Cool.

I dont do resolutions, but I'm going to focus on oaying off some debt and running again.

Happy 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I'd say without a doubt the toughest time of the year for me, but this year I feel quite chirpy. I'm putting it down to the weather being all lovely, crisp and sunny which has cheered me up no end as I've been out walking the dogs for miles and enjoying every frozen minute! I find it's the dark and wet that normally just finishes me off at this time of year - so a big Thumbs Up to Mr Jack Frost!! Laughing

Got to be the weather, as all else is as rubbish as normal!! Rolling Eyes
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not me!
I set aside plenty of time for review, reflection during the whole year, if there is something I don't like I change it there and then.

I embrace the new year, like a new start / new challenge...

I always try to celebrate it, and do a different thing to what I have done in previous years. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest, i caught up with some wicked friends and had some great parties. Take all of the little things away from this time of year and you would start to miss it.
Im thankful everyone i love is still here, i think for a second about a family grieving this new year because some drunk fuc* ploughed their only child into the pavement or something.

If you wasted this year, you've got a few more to make up for it yet. Thumbs Up
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 3.35 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 103.03 Kb