Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Why has my tax code changed??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 02 Feb 2009    Post subject: Why has my tax code changed?? Reply with quote

So, I get back from holiday and theres a letter waiting for me from the inland revenue. Never a good thing I always think. But behold, they tell me my tax code for April 2009 will now be 647L as opposed to 450L. I believe im correct in thinking that this is a good thing, but such good news always makes me suspicious and im wondering why they have done this, as my financial circumstances have not changed drastically at all. The only thing I can think of is that my old company filled in a form wrong, leading the inland revenue to believe I owed £800 in tax, for which they altered my tax code accordingly. I forgot about this for a while and then got in touch with my old company and asked them to sort it out, though they haven’t got back to me since I sent the letter to them in December. So, im thinking maybe this might be a result of this correction – although I was told that upon my company correcting their error, I would get the money back straight away i.e in a lump sum as opposed to being paid back gradually via reduced taxes, so thats why Im unsure – any ideas as to why they might have done this??

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 02 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good as you get more tax free money , or rather your wages get taxed less..

It goes up post April anyway for the personal allowance increase.

But if the IR owe you money still and haven't given it back via your wages.

Phone up your local tax office and ask for a form R40 , if you are just an employee should 4 entries (the address and NI should be filled out easy) on the form send it back and you should get it back
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 02 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Its good as you get more tax free money , or rather your wages get taxed less..

It goes up post April anyway for the personal allowance increase.



Does that mean that it may increase again?

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 02 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:

Does that mean that it may increase again?

GhostRider


Not really the government issue tax codes NOW for the 2009-10 tax year which starts come April. Myself being unemployed presently even got a notice of coding and I'm unemployed, probably why I'm posting on BCF 4.30pm.

Adjusting of tax codes happened last year in September though... as a bribe to the electorate.

I would expect it to increase as an election is coming and the government wants to bribe people to vote for them.

If you want to be careful about it, stick your salary gross and the amount of tax you paid (do not include NI) into an online tax calculator, if YOU end up owing them money don't tell them about it, HMRC often doesn't notice for amounts <£100.

If they owe you money ask for an R40 and complete it, reminds me I have to put in my own R40 due to unemployment...
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 02 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd Itchy you don't half make things complicated! Laughing

GhostRider you will get a lump sum repayment back in your next wage packet, (it should be approx £360) and after that you will be paying less tax than you were before.

Standard code at the moment is 603L. When you were on 450L they would have been either collecting a previous underpayment or making an allowance for another source of income (2nd job, tips if you work in catering, company vehicle are the most common ones). Now it looks like you have overpaid tax slightly so they are letting you pay less tax for the rest of this year to make up for it.

All this should be on the notice of coding, in the box in the middle.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 03 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Gawd Itchy you don't half make things complicated! Laughing

GhostRider you will get a lump sum repayment back in your next wage packet, (it should be approx £360) and after that you will be paying less tax than you were before.

Standard code at the moment is 603L. When you were on 450L they would have been either collecting a previous underpayment or making an allowance for another source of income (2nd job, tips if you work in catering, company vehicle are the most common ones). Now it looks like you have overpaid tax slightly so they are letting you pay less tax for the rest of this year to make up for it.

All this should be on the notice of coding, in the box in the middle.


Ever since I can remember I've been on 450L, probably because my first ever job was as a server assistant in a restaurant. Yars ago they kept sending me letters asking how much I've earned in tips, I kept telling them fuck all but they wouldnt believe me. I then changed jobs and they asked me how much tips I earned in that job. I said I didnt get any. So for the next 2 years they kept sending me letters asking me how much I was earning in tips, and I kept telling them nothing, but they would ask me to provide evidence of how much tips I'd earned in the past year. Didnt know what I was supposed to do there.... send in a blank piece of paper? Anyway, I was like 17-18 at the time and didnt have a scooby doo about tax and just ignored it and they stopped sending me letters eventually, but I can help but think they probably owe me a lot of money somewhere along the line.

Looking at the R40 form I'll have to wait until april till I get my P60 to be able to enter all the information in anyway.

I'll let you know if they give me any extra money in my next wage packet, though being the IR im not holding my breath haha

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 54.46 Kb