Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


wanting to find work in the big smoke..../work woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Feb 2009    Post subject: wanting to find work in the big smoke..../work woes Reply with quote

It's getting to the point where I'm thoroughly fed up with my job in local government.

Cons:
- too little pay. I have debts that are getting bigger, not smaller.
- too little totty. The social aspects of my work, since restructuring, are next to zero: it's hard to find someone pretty to flirt with now.
- I'm bored of what I do and I've fucked up more than once since Xmas, because my heart's just not in it anymore.
- The location is dull
- Fed up with the female staff, both senior and junior to me, having so much time off due to illness, childcare, etc. It's something about local government - you can get away with it. So people just leave at 11am because they have sore throats, etc.
-I'm not using my mind at all anymore.

pros:
- I can generally manage my own workload, I haven't got anyone pushing me about.


That's it. That's the only good thing about my job. It's not an enabling position - it's not enabling me to do things I want to (becuase the pay's shit and there's only anyy prospects of, at at best, horizontal repositioning)

So I want a new job. But not here. I'm bored of this place entirely. i want to move to London - but I've no contacts. Hw do I go about getting work in London?

How about you? You like your jobs?

Thanks.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 03 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in central London, in central government. Not saying which department, and definitely not saying which policy area. I'd get lynched on here.

The work keeps my mind relatively active if I choose to do some, the prospects are good and promotion is only a case of doing some work on an application when I find a job I want to go for.
The totty is high quality, as is the banter, and I'm making enough to put some in savings.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hoffy
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 03 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick where You are for now steppen , or try to stay withing government / council employ , You will be much more secure than working in the private sector at the moment.
____________________
Plagued by 1980s Suzuki 2 strokes !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillpill
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 04 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol why am i not suprised you work for the goverment Wink

id stick with it for the moment , its terrible finding a job at the moment

why do you want to go to london so much ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 04 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the current climate, I'd say your single Plus Point vastly outweighs your Negative Points, several of which seem rather petty to me.

But if you must: try checking your intraweb (or similar associated organisations)* for jobs where you can transfer, rather than leave that job and start a new one. It might be preferable to move sideways to a new location rather than out to an unknown destination. I spend half my time poking around looking at other jobs.

*e.g. I work in a hospital as a float secretary, so I check the intraweb and the NHS site for jobs that I like the sound of better, or because they are linked to Imperial College, I check there as well and similar other "governmenty" jobs in medicine, science or education: something will happen along eventually.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.03 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 44.69 Kb