Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Trying to decide whether to go from fully comp to TPF+T

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Trying to decide whether to go from fully comp to TPF+T Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

My insurance is up for renewal in two days. Last year I paid £400 in a single payment for fully comprehensive insurance with free breakdown recovery on a CBT/provisional licence, with me being 23 at the time and 0 years NCD on a 2001 NSR 125 RR from Ebike insurance.

They have given me a renewal quote of £261, which isn't bad at all, but just as I was about to click "renew" I wondered to myself whether fully comp is really necessary, as it would save me £100 going third party fire and theft, and also when reading the policy wording it seems that despite stating you as being fully comp, they dont really want to pay up cash for anything unless the engine itself blows up via their long list of exclusions. Not to mention that I also include a voluntary excess of £200 in that, and if the bike isnt garaged between certain hours at night then its a £350 excess.

Also, I can't help but think I might be missing a trick here, as I turn 25 on March 1st, and if I remember correctly insurance premiums tend to drop once you hit 25.

So firstly, do you think it's worthwhile dropping to 3rd party fire and theft, and secondly, since the insurance is up before I turn 25, how could I go about taking advantage of the premium drop whilst still being road legal?

Cheers,

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: Trying to decide whether to go from fully comp to TPF+T Reply with quote

I personally ended up reducing my cover because it wasn't worth it on a Q plate bike. I have 'saved' more than the bike is worth.

If it goes tits up then I am out a bike and will have to find the money myself, but it's a risk that curently makes economical sense. So you aren't alone in thinking like this.

Secondly: You are right, one of my friends waited until his 25th Birthday to buy his FireBlade because the insurance because reasonble.

Of course waiting gives you a gap of a month. I'd suggest: eBike pay as you go.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to recheck your exesses.

If the bike is stolen ungaraged between certain hours and you are hit with an increased theft xs, then chances will be that will also apply to a TPFT quote. This must be disclosed by the insurance broker/intermediary.

The real question is can you afford for them not to pay out in a claim? ie can you go out and buy another bike?

As for the premium drop at 25, simply do some online quotes to compare the differance. It often makes little or no differance. When differences are noted it is usually because a different underwriting company is willing to quote, if you are already being quoted them then the difference might be negligible.(YD xs keeps this in check).

You mention a voluntary xs of £200. What is the compulsary xs on the policy as it also applies and is added to the vouluntary. At 24 you also (until turning 25) have the privaledge of being hit with a young rider/drivers xs, also to be added to the voluntary & compulsary.

The exclusions on the policy may seem like they are not willing to pay out for much, but remember insurance companies repair with new, most bikes are written off with what is usually fairly minor cosmetic damage in the scale of things.

End of the day though, its all a gamble Confused
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to recheck your exesses.

If the bike is stolen ungaraged between certain hours and you are hit with an increased theft xs, then chances will be that will also apply to a TPFT quote. This must be disclosed by the insurance broker/intermediary.

The real question is can you afford for them not to pay out in a claim? ie can you go out and buy another bike?

As for the premium drop at 25, simply do some online quotes to compare the differance. It often makes little or no differance. When differences are noted it is usually because a different underwriting company is willing to quote, if you are already being quoted them then the difference might be negligible.(YD xs keeps this in check).

You mention a voluntary xs of £200. What is the compulsary xs on the policy as it also applies and is added to the vouluntary. At 24 you also (until turning 25) have the privaledge of being hit with a young rider/drivers xs, also to be added to the voluntary & compulsary.

The exclusions on the policy may seem like they are not willing to pay out for much, but remember insurance companies repair with new, most bikes are written off with what is usually fairly minor cosmetic damage in the scale of things.

End of the day though, its all a gamble Confused
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r's advise - so good it is posted twice! Wink
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bat
Nova Slayer



Joined: 11 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to TPFT at renewal time this month. Fully comp was £360ish compared to £170ish for TPFT on my Hornet 900.

I don't ride in bad weather anymore and don't rely on the bike as my only form of transport. It's not worth a fortune so as far as I'm concerned the likelihood of me coming out better off after a claim with fully comp is slim.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys,

After a bit of research it appears thats as cheap as its going to get without dropping to TPFT - I'd like to save the £100 but no, I couldn't afford a new bike should I write mine off.

Theres about a £40 price difference between stating im 24 or 25, however the PAYG tariff works out to about £36 for the time in between, so difference is neglible.

Ah well, spose this should prompt me to get my finger out and get my DAS on the go since a full licence should help my premium more so.

Thanks again,

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised by the differences some have been quoted. Everytime I get a quote for motorcycle insurance there's very little in it between FC or TPFT. My recent quote was £92 FC or £73 TPFT. Confused
____________________
Current bikes: suzuki RG125UN wolf. Yamaha MT-07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bat
Nova Slayer



Joined: 11 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
I'm surprised by the differences some have been quoted. Everytime I get a quote for motorcycle insurance there's very little in it between FC or TPFT. My recent quote was £92 FC or £73 TPFT. Confused


Depends a lot on the rider's age and experience and the type of bike I think.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest variable is going to be the postcode, I would have thought. Not so much crime rate as claim rate for the area.
____________________
'11 CBF1000A, '99 C90, '98 CB500
silky666: He rode amazingly well considering his bike is the weight of a small van and had slicks on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course age is a big thing, but also a huge amount is down to the type of bike - I put an old ZZR1100 on the same policy as my wing, cost me £25 admin fee. Put my Hayabusa on, cost me an extra £200. When I asked why they said its a Hayabusa, drop it and its written off.

I firmly believe there are only 2 reasons not to be fully comp. The fees are more than the bikes worth or you can afford to replace it if you totally wreck it. Other than that - fully comp or sod#s law says you will at some time be sitting with a pile of scrap and no hope of a new bike.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 17 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:

The real question is can you afford for them not to pay out in a claim? ie can you go out and buy another bike?

I disagree.
I'd say the question is... can you afford to actually have a claim against you? Smile

For a lot of people, claiming can mean losing out in the long term all considered, sometimes even the short term.

Fully comp is useful if you have an accident that's your fault and you've got a claim against you; then you might as well claim for your losses too as it won't 'cost' you anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 17 - Page Size: 79.98 Kb