Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Single malts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

rhone81
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:46 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Single malts Reply with quote

I'm enjoying a bottle of Jura just now and have a bottle of Talisker in reserve.

What do you enjoy?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

400bandit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:29 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex...

Joe
____________________
Current Bikes 650 Honda Bros, VTR1000 Firestorm // Past Bikes: Sachs Madass 50/110cc - Bandit 400 - FZR750
(+ a XS650 in lots of pieces in my garage and other places...)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:32 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of the brands you mention.

Bit heavy for me, but polished off the last of the Scrumpy Jack and contemplating opening a bottle of pinot grigio shortly.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rhone81
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:37 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Never heard of the brands you mention.

Bit heavy for me, but polished off the last of the Scrumpy Jack and contemplating opening a bottle of pinot grigio shortly.


Fair enough. I've had a 3 litre box of Weston's Organic cider before and would highly recommend it if that's your thing.

If you're new to whisky, Jura is a good starting point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheJackal
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:50 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is Laphroaig but I really like any of the islay malts.

I like smokey and peaty whiskey, Talisker is very nice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:57 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough we did this a year ago, not that I mind revisiting whiskey... Drooling

At the time I said:

Quote:
Personally I like Jura but it's so drinkable I have to watch myself.

My absolute favourite is Bunnahabhain which is unique among Scotch whiskey in that the spring water used has naturally filtered through granite rather than peat so it has a distinctively sharp/crisp taste, but I can't drink it in quantity.

My latest aquisition is a bottle of Penderyn which as described on the bottle has an "aroma of cream toffee and... fresh leather" and after notes "of tropical fruits, raisins and vanilla". I think that's pretty accurate and it is one of the nicest whiskeys I've ever drunk, so I'll have to watch myself there as well.

If you're into cheaper drinks I'd recommend the Grants oak/sherry cask finished blends that are currently on offer at Sainsburys for £9.99/bottle.
Whiskey drinkers...

Things that have changed in the past year:

I can now drink Bunnahabhain in quantity, so that's another I'll have to watch myself with. Rolling Eyes

Grants is £10.99 at Waitrose

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Dalwhinne, a birthday present from my dad. Cool

And I'm working my way through a bottle of Laphroaig, left by my late father-in-law. Crying or Very sad

Talisker is my wife's favourite whiskey, and we also quite like Tobermory; I really like the island malts. Thumbs Up
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...


Last edited by LeeR on 09:33 - 15 Feb 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

michael j
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:19 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of the Islay malts like Laphroaig and Lagavulin but recently bought a bottle of Smokehead Extra Rare which I really struggled to drink. I did succeed though. Wink
____________________
Ducati 996
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I find whisky undrinkable. Such harsh flavour in the mouth, the overpowering alcohol, astonishingly bad, and astonishing to me that it has such a following. Rancid.

Then again, all this may be due to my old 'finishing off' drink of a straight quadruple whisky (for 2pounds) of dubious quality, which I used hove each Friday night when I was 17-18 in Diva in the toon.

Cannot touch the stuff.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:31 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo- mix it with some soda and sip it.

I'm also a Jura fan, it disappears rather quickly once I get started on it. I'm working through a bottle of Aberlour, which is reasonable, and I like the Macallan. Sweet, smooth, and drinkable. I do get through it rather fast if I get going though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeR wrote:

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Dalwhinne, a birthday present from my dad. Cool



The best whiskey ever made, without a shadow a doubt.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good for degreasing motorcycle parts but cheap brands work just as well.
Nasty tasting stuff even before it gets old bike muck in it IMHO.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenmorangie is a fave, like nectar.

A good whisky should be drunk straight or with some water. If you're going to pollute it with lemonade or Coke and the like, then any cheap blend will do.

On a cold, wet winter night you cant beat whisky and hot water.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balvenie

With one ice cube Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foul stuff, tastes like battery acid!
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only drink whisky in coffee with cream...but will opt for a brandy and ginger beer any day!!!
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Laphroaig comments - definitely the nicest of the single malts you get in sainsburys.

Tried some of this recently which was a bit of a surprise:
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2943.aspx
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: Single malts Reply with quote

rhone81 wrote:
I'm enjoying a bottle of Jura just now and have a bottle of Talisker in reserve.

What do you enjoy?


Talisker is rank
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm my favoite topic, whisky, I love Talisker and Glenmorangie single malts, but I do drink a lot of blended stuff. It just warms the body when drinking, a great drink.
____________________
My current bikes are - YZF-R1 & GS 500 E

Trackday videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/bishbash13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azonicben
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowmore for me! My grandad was very friendly with the distillery peeps during the war, he was skipper of the raf rescue launch when Islay was a seaplane base.
My dad and grandad lived up on church street in Bowmore, always a bottle of local in stock Thumbs Up
Otherwise laphroig
____________________
Cbt-23/09/07.....Theory-16/09/08.....Das passed 10/10/08.....
Current bike- GsxR750 K4. Broken: Cbr400rr (Nc29) Sold: Hyosung GT125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Pultney

Scappa

Tamdhu

Three much underrated and not overly expensive single malts. Tamdhu in particular is often cheaper than some of the de-luxe blends.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Foul stuff, tastes like battery acid!


Or the contents of an ashtray tipped into a glass of meths. Must be an "aquired taste", as in "keep drinking the stuff until you no longer notice it's rough as shite".
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 16 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to like it, but I can't stand it. As a Scot I feel like a traitor! I'm hoping it's a taste I will eventually acquire.
____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 116.06 Kb