Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

workshop total noob, advice appreciated

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

issey9090
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:39 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: workshop total noob, advice appreciated Reply with quote

Hi

Looking for 1st big bike. I'm looking at a bike that needs new levers, possible new swingarm. Are lever replacements a relatively easy thing to do myself? I'm guessing a swingarm replacement is best left for the experienced .

It also has broken fairing, but not having much luck finding replacement on the net.

I'd like to learn how to do all the basics with time - changing fluids & filters... How long would you say it takes to get up to scratch - and are there things that I could f*** the bike if i go wrong?
Thanks

oh the bike im looking at is a 98 fazer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 10:01 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The levers are very easy to change yourself. If you buy a pattern replacement. Which is basically an identical set of levers. Then its a case of undoing the nut/bolt that holds the lever onto the perch. Pulling the lever off. And replacing with the new lever.

The clutch will require a bit of fiddling with the cable but its nothing different to fitting brakes on a BMX.

Swing arms also arent that hard to change. If the bike has a center stand then its an added bonus. If not then you will need to use your imagination to get the rear wheel suspended without using the swing arm to lift it.

Then You need to remove the rear wheel. Un clip all the brake line from the swing arm. You may also need to break the chain to remove the swing arm. Some bikes you don't, some bikes you do. It depends where the chain is run.

You shouldn't need to re-bleed your rear brake after. If its got a rear drum brake, then it will be even easier.

Once you have stripped all the parts from the swing arm. Its a case of undoing the bottom shock mount (Assuming its a conventional shock mount), And undoing the spindle bolt that holds the swing arm to the frame.

You may require a special Castle nut socket to do this.

And then rebuild back up with the new swing arm.

Just out of interest. What bike is it? And what is wrong with the swing arm?

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:

Just out of interest. What bike is it? And what is wrong with the swing arm?

Ben

Sounds me like it's a wreck he wants to rebuild. Thinking

Personally unless you're mechanically competant just save a bit more money and buy a non-crashed bike as your first one....

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 11:13 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

98 Fazer.

Completely missed that bit on the end of his post. Laughing

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: workshop total noob, advice appreciated Reply with quote

https://bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148552

See the above thread, CBR600 was fixed by me with similar self inflicted damage! , but be wary a 98 Fazer can be had for £1000 these days!.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

issey9090
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:03 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for the quick replies!

Im only judging the bike by pictures at the moment - im going to have a look at it tonight. Damage looks like cosmetic only. Swingarm looks quite corroded, but can't tell till i see it properly.

Good to hear the levers shouldnt be too much of a problem.
Swingarm sounds tricky to me Binge with my knowledge( =0 )
I'll read that link properly later Itchy, thanks.

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it this one?

issey9090
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:20 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah! Should have posted the link in the first place.

Maybe i am being a bit cheapskate for my first bike, but looks like an ok runner?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks super in the pics. Buttttt.....
With respect... You can't say how good the engine is just on the owner's say so.
You can't tell what kind of life it's had.
You could be buying a 'Pig in a Poke'.
You should really really take a mechanic with you.
Or, as was said, buy a non-fixer-upper for a first big bike.
It would be so disheartening to o/haul the back end to have it throw a 'Leg oot o' the Bed' a few months later....
Too much tech-speak?
In normal life it should be easy enough for the un-imformed to repair the damage you have listed.
Main thing in a bike are the Engine and Gearbox though.

Good luck in your hunt for glory. Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:00 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

Damaged swingarm eh? I've not looked at the ebay link (I'll have a look later when I'm at home) but anything with a damaged swingarm sets massive alarm bells ringing.

Have you seen how cheap Swinging arms are from breakers? Very very cheap! Do you know why? Because they almost never get damaged in a crash. If a bike has been damaged enough to need a new swinging arm, then it could have anything wrong with it.

I'll have a look at the fleabay link later and let you know what I think.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swingarm is probably fine. Just looks like oil off the chain in the pictures.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh thats probably true , I got off lightly the breaker I picked it up from said I should be dead as people who snap swing arms generally die in the process.

But depends on the extent of the damage in that scratches aren't uncommon , wear is also common where ham fisted attempts to put on new end cans which rub against the swing arm when riding but look fine when off the bike etc.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1