Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Righto, another "life" question for auntie BCF to

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:59 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Righto, another "life" question for auntie BCF to Reply with quote

Long post time, if you reply, make sure you have read it all, cheers

About me at the moment

Im 17, left school with mostly B GCSE's odd A odd C.
Definately don't want to do A-levels, I have applied for a 2 year land based engineering course that starts this september.
I am currently working part time (all weekend)
The rest of the week I chill, clean my bike, ride, look for jobs, ride etc. I live with my parents and don't have to pay rent as I am not earning enough to pay rent, I pay for all my meals anyway.

My outlook on life is different to probably most peoples, I want to live life, enjoying it and enjoying work. I do not want to be in an office 9-5 earning 30k. I would rather work outside, in the rain every day of the week for enough to get by.
I have been kind of self employed since I was 14, ran a small business and made a bit of money for myself. My parents never really bought anything for me, I have done it myself. I have gotten into financial difficulty myself and made money myself.

I have had the idea, as it is spring, to become a self employed outdoorsy kinda guy, do odd jobs etc. I have some business cards and flyers being made right now, my plan is to go round all the local villages, town etc giving them out, posting them and getting some work.

Now here are my questions for you clever bunch.

Is this is a good idea in your eyes?
Is my perspective on life realistic?
Any advice for me, anyone else self employed that does a similar job?

Now I am expecting a lot of you to say grow up and go to college etc. I have heard it all before, I know people that have gone either way and I have had indepth conversations with a couple. One from high earning-office job type and one laid back, outdoor gets by. minimal worries.
The dude who just gets by is the only one I would say is truly happy.


I apologise for the length of this post but please don't reply with grow up or speak to your parents because if you knew my parents, you would strongly advise the exact opposite.

Thank you


Karma given to anyone with useful advice.
Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've managed to get that far and you're only 17, I say good on ya mate.

Are you registered as self employed? Do you have a CIS card?
These are things you may need to consider if you are looking to make a few bob out of it. The tax man will open your arse hole and fuck you side ways if you are making a substantial amount without declaring it.

I would also suggest looking into a specific trade, few examples:
Self employed chippy I worked for was able to charge £200 a day just for turning up.
My eldest brother earns £50k+ per annum doing ariel instalations.
Now here's the cunt.
My other brother who works as a "handy man" is finding it hard to get work at the minute and doesn't make a great deal.

Point being, you can still get paid bucket loads and do a job you love.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The money I have made in the past is negligable. Not enough to bother anyone I hope.

As soon as I get some work in, I will register for self assesment. I will look into CIS card. Although I won't be doing any major building work, im not trained, I could build small walls outdoors etc but nothing bigger.

My thinking is right now, spring should be starting soon and people will want things doing in their gardens etc.

What do you mean by chippy? Chip shop or wood chips? Im clueless about that one!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:59 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that's fair enough, I assumed you were looking to turn it in to a small busiess as opposed to a summer job.

A chippy is a carpenter Thumbs Up .
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:18 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my sidelines is in general handyman/outdoor-sy work (I work alongside the guy who runs the business, as a casual when needed. Garden/house clearances, patios, decking, small construction, roofing etc), unless you have immensely unusual presence for a 17 year old then you're unlikely to do well at it as a self-employed businessman, most clients will look at you and see a schoolboy/weekend jobber and not a professional. It's also a surprisingly expensive business to get into, without the right tools you have to allow longer on the job and so the cost goes up leaving you unable to compete, plus of course purchase of materials etc require capital.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:35 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. I am looking to start a small buisness and maybe grow but I was thinking that is the sort of business I am going to get right now with it being springish.

I have a large prescense and others can back me up on that. I have dealt with customers of my own, not believing that they were speaking to a 15/16 year old on the phone then when they come to visit me, are a bit shocked but we get on with business.

My hope is I will do a few jobs and word will get around. I know its not that simple but im sure over time it will.
Tools wise, Over the past 3 years I have aqquired a large collection of tools from welding equipment to spanners, compressors, and various other power tools.

Im not a half assed kinda guy, if I do something that I want to do I do it. People that know me will know if I am truly dedicated to something because I will follow it through.

cheers guys Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a student we did a number of odd-job jobs, garden clearance, decorating, regular gardening, etc, and for students made a fair amount of money - it wasn't regular and didn't earn enough across a full 12 months to have to pay any tax.

However, we were lucky as we got all our work by word of mouth thanks to our landlady. The previous year we had made posters etc and had no interest at all. As our dearest Tarmacsurfer says, it's a competative industry and unless you're known you may struggle to get work.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully my previous experience of dealing with strangers will help. I know one dude who works round here doing that sort of stuff and he is leaving in a few weeks and he is a good mate. He will pass the word on about me hopefully.

I suppose I will have to wait till I have posted some posters about and see if anyone replies whether this is a good idea.

Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you an idea, the guy I work alongside spends at least £700 a month on advertising in local papers and magazines, more if he's not got much on. If you want to make a living out of it then posters and word of mouth will not cut it, particularly at the moment as everyone is saving money and cutting corners. Most "unskilled" DIY is being done by the home owner, or they are employing friends of friends who have spare time for whatever reason and it's being done strictly cash in hand at mates rates.

If you want to make a go of it then sit this friend of yours down and have a serious talk with him. Find out how he gets his work in (I don't know your area, he will know the local rags and where it's worth advertising), is he retiring, moving to another job or is he simply unable to make ends meet doing what he has been? If it's the latter then that tells you something to start with.

Also bear in mind that when I refer to tools I don't necessarily mean power tools, do you have a decent set of ladders? Have you got sledgehammers, a disk cutter, shovels, spares in case a tool goes bang or breaks (clients don't usually like a workman turning up then running around all day because the strimmer engine went pop and they don't have a backup).

Seriously, best of luck with it. Just trying to point out the areas you need to consider and account for. Making a living is a bit different to making some pocket money, and the trade you're talking about is one where first impressions and repeat custom are important. Think of it this way, if you make a mess you're shitting on your own doorstep as it were.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I know, does very little infact. He earns enough to live by but not too much so that it gets taken off him at the end of the day by the taxman.

He works for about 5 different (albeit wealthy) families in the local area, looking after their grounds. He will do other work but he knows he will always have work there. He started off buy posters in village shops and business cards in letterboxes type thing and word of mouth. He made sure every job he did was spot on and cheapish and continued. Hes moving to a different area because of family reasons.

I have everything I think I will need. There are a couple of items I will need to buy but not hugeley expensive.

For example, if my strimmer did break, I have an electric one and a generator and if that wasn't appropriate, then I could borrow another one off a mate I know.
Once I get some cash flow I will be able to afford top quality workmans tools and build a collection entirely suitable for my uses.

Im gonna make sure all my jobs are spot on, properly done, any complaints or issues will be sorted out as a priority as I realise that first impressions mean everything.
Im not gonna be the guy that turns up at 10am and asks to use my clients toilet either!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad has done just this..

he'd had enough of the 9-5 grind, he was a bt engineer for many years, then a copier engineer, then err a postman for a while whilst he decided what he wanted to do Smile and now he's a handy man and much happier for it.

he started putting fliers and cards up at the post office etc.. and started getting calls and doing work. he loves it. he's a very practical guy and enjoys variation so its perfect work for him. he works when he wants to/needs to. has plenty on the go and its all different. everything from gardening to decorating to putting up shelves, workin on cars, you name it.

one thing i will say is word of mouth is the most important tool you have. when you do start getting work in make sure you do a good job and you'll be recommended by your clients to their friends and it snowballs. thats when the real money starts coming in Smile

you of course have to be registered as self employed and declare what you earn but its good money and interesting work. as said, he's doing something different every day and can work to his own schedule.

age may work against you as you'll be stereo typed as the lazy teenager but as long as you do good work, word will get around and you'll be laughing. there are loads of people who need stuff done and just cant be bothered to do it or think it'll cost the earth.. you can be the man to help 'em out!
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much guy btw.

That is exactly what I want to do. Work when I want to and earn how much I want. Be my own boss. I know very few people who hae standard jobs that are truly happy inside. (idea for poll)

I spent a while last night looking through declaring myself as self-employed and doing the self assesment thing.
Im a practical guy, I love getting hands on with things and I love business. I like the idea of doing something which earns me money which I can then use to create a fulfilling life, doing the things I want to.

Cheers guys Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from a party of which I was the life and soul, wit poured from my lips, everyone laughed and admired me but I went away - and the dash should be as long as the earth's orbit-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- and wanted to shoot myself.

Who/what am I quoting?
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 05 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, why not make use of that fresh young brain and enroll on some suitable courses.
Chainsaw course - learn to climb
360 digger/JCB course
bricklaying
plumbing
yer get me?
backup your speil with some experience, and whilst yer having abit of a free living at home nows the best time IMO.

Best of British

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 06 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above; especially as this point in your life you don't really have 'anything to lose'. I suspect it will be a lot of hard work to do properly well, but might be the start of your business empire if you can make a big effort, doing everything you can and more importantly, a little more than the other people out there.

A levels can always be got later aren't exactly essential in life.

To do well, I suspect you will need to try and make a decent 'plan' (which can be changed, but it's much better to change a plan than not to have one) and put a lot of effort in to getting your name out there, as well as designing good flyers, finding the cheapest printing, etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Ideas guys. I will have a look into some useful courses while I am not paying proper bills.

Karma given when I can, run out already today
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 06 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: Righto, another "life" question for auntie BCF Reply with quote

allymoss wrote:
Long post time, if you reply, make sure you have read it all, cheers

About me at the moment

Im 17, left school with mostly B GCSE's odd A odd C.
Definately don't want to do A-levels, I have applied for a 2 year land based engineering course that starts this september.
I am currently working part time (all weekend)


allymoss wrote:


My outlook on life is different to probably most peoples, I want to live life, enjoying it and enjoying work. I do not want to be in an office 9-5 earning 30k. I would rather work outside, in the rain every day of the week for enough to get by.
I have been kind of self employed since I was 14, ran a small business and made a bit of money for myself. My parents never really bought anything for me, I have done it myself. I have gotten into financial difficulty myself and made money myself.

I have had the idea, as it is spring, to become a self employed outdoorsy kinda guy, do odd jobs etc.


What sort of outdoor jobs for people do you intend to do ?

This may be better than a gap year abroad on an extended holiday, but when one day you realise you dont want to spend your life as an odd job man, the gap year will look better on your cv, as they are done by people who go on to be successful.

Marketing yourself as an odd job man, is putting yourself in the unskilled labourer bracket.

Id suggest finding a job that gives you the outdoor lifestyle you want but is skilled.

Tree Surgeon would be an idea, but Im sure there are loads.

I've worked as a recruitment consultant for drivers, and there is always a lot more competition for the unskilled jobs like van drivers, than the skilled jobs like HGV drivers.

This means you have to be really good and get treated like shit if you are unskilled, but if you are skilled, you get to treat your employer like shit and take liberties, or if you do work hard, he loves you and will bend over backwards for you.

The fact that you got good grades at school means you can apply yourself. If you become a handyman, you are competing against people with experience.

Who knows it could work, but if it doesnt, it might be time for a rethink.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:04 - 06 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im young, I hope this is more of a base to start at. Get to know the business area and when the time comes, pick an area that looks good to work in with relatively little competition and is not unskilled labour.

This is not a "rest of life" plan, this is a base from which I hope to develop into something, a specialised business would be the ultimate achievement I think.

I am going to try it and see what happens. I have 7 months before college, if I decide to go that is (I have a place) so enough time I hope to work out what I want to do for the near future.

Thanks for all the advice dudes

Cheers Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.34 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 108.08 Kb