Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2003 tail unit on my 2000 hornet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 08 Mar 2009    Post subject: 2003 tail unit on my 2000 hornet Reply with quote

After weeks of sourcing, planning, fitting, unfitting etc I finally have had the time to take pics of the new tail conversion.

Any comments or questions are welcome. Thanks guys!

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0023.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0024.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0025.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0027.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0028.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0029.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0031.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0033.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0036.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0037.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0038.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0039.jpg

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/alun111/IMG_0041.jpg

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 08 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the wrong colour Wink Laughing

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 08 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping it that way Razz I think it looks good being black tail and hugger, blue tank and mudguard.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 23:31 - 08 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good dude, really like it, remove the grab rail I reckon though. And those handlebars are absolute wank! Completely ruin the rest of the bike!

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 09 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Looks really good dude, really like it, remove the grab rail I reckon though. And those handlebars are absolute wank! Completely ruin the rest of the bike!

hahaha

I think so too about the handlebars, I plan on getting gold anodized renthals. They look almost like fuckin monkey bars the way they are at the moment, no one else sees it but you and me!

I plan on removing the grab rail and either buying blanks or using mesh. I'm going to use my old bandit 4 for the topbox duties.... was going to use this but too much effort to make spacers (If you look at pic 9).

Thanks for the nice comments Very Happy

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 08:21 - 09 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those red infills on the rearsets need sorting. My mum cut out some pieces of carbon fibre sheet on her ones.

Although they look a lot better if you just pop them out too.

Seat unit looks good. Not 100% on the bar end mirrors though.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 09 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want one Sad

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 09 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Thumbs Up

Can't wait to get my Hornet back! Sad

So seat lock easy to do then?
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz - I'll probably be spraying the red infills white.. aswell as my shock in time.

m0l0t0v - Thanks man. How close are you with the hornet now? If you need any more info in the future, feel free to ask.

The seat lock was quite easy to do... and works perfect every time. I used a bicycle brake cable round the latch and round the lock barrel piece. When the key is turned the cable pulls the latch basically. Only took me and my mate a couple of hours to do.

chadz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:54 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

them bar end end mirrors are tosh. Look miles better without

looks good apart from them

nick606
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your mirrors actually work ? can you see clearly behind you when riding or what ?

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bar end mirrors are brilliant! They're far superior to standard mirrors (unless you have a faired bike - because they stick out more). You can see nothing but road in them, and they don't vibrate at all. Spot on Thumbs Up

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:58 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike looks smashing, how good are the integrated indicators? I'm thinking of buying a tail light like that but fear the indicators arent good enough for people to clearly notice.

Also how much were your bar end mirrors?

Good work.
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks very nice. a big improvement

a friend of mine is doing this same conversion so I'll show him this thread Thumbs Up

JASCAN3
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:08 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: tail unit fitting tips Reply with quote

hi mate,could you possibly post some more pics of the seat lock set up youve done on the hornet or any other pics of the modification youve done.ive sourced all the bits to upgrade my 1998 hornet 600 to a 2003 namely tank,seat ,tail unit ,undertray, rear light and side panels,looking at yours i could have got away with just the tail unit and light as it looks the biz thanks

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: tail unit fitting tips Reply with quote

JASCAN3 wrote:
hi mate,could you possibly post some more pics of the seat lock set up youve done on the hornet or any other pics of the modification youve done.ive sourced all the bits to upgrade my 1998 hornet 600 to a 2003 namely tank,seat ,tail unit ,undertray, rear light and side panels,looking at yours i could have got away with just the tail unit and light as it looks the biz thanks

just buy a newer hornet xD

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:49 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyboynorwich wrote:
The bike looks smashing, how good are the integrated indicators? I'm thinking of buying a tail light like that but fear the indicators arent good enough for people to clearly notice.

Also how much were your bar end mirrors?

Good work.

The integrated indicators are brilliant, but I'd suggest a LED relay as opposed to the resistors it comes with (as they get boiling hot!).

The bar end mirrors were about £25 on ebay. Bandit mania amongst other sellers sell them. You can get them in "polished billet aluminium" but they're not as good quality as they're coated (so it was a lie). I had these previously and after dropping the bike a few times there was no longer a way to bodge them back on so I had to buy a new set. The finish ended up flaking off, I'm not sure if this was to do with dropping the bike and scratching them etc though.

I went for annodized black this time.

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:49 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankeedoodle wrote:
looks very nice. a big improvement

a friend of mine is doing this same conversion so I'll show him this thread Thumbs Up

Thankyou Smile

Send him this way Cool

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: tail unit fitting tips Reply with quote

JASCAN3 wrote:

I can tell you now that the seat won't fit. I bought one myself and the base of the seat (where the u-bolt is) sits on top of the frame (where the latch is) instead of infront of it. This could be something to do with the fact I have the original tank though - maybe the new shape tank sits further forwards!

I trimmed the new seat at the front and could not for the life of me get it to sit right or fit. What a waste!

You'll still need the undertray, as its narrower (otherwise the tail won't fit) and it has the correct shape cut out of the back for the tail light etc.

I had to trim my standard side panels, as they are slightly longer and didn't match the curve of the new tail.

I'll try and get some more pics up of the conversion just as soon as I have time (gotta rebuild a mate's engine this week!). If you haven't heard from me soon, give me a pm and tell me to pull my finger out!

Cheers

JASCAN3
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:10 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: tail unit Reply with quote

hi mate thanks or the info,the 2003 tank does sit further forward so you would have to make some sort of bracket to run from the existing mount to the new tank,thats if the seat fits of course.ive mounted the new tank on mine but not tried to fix it yet.the 2003 tank makes one hell of a difference to the looks can you keep posting any pics on here especially the key lock for the seat and how you gotit to work thanks again

JASCAN3
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:01 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: Re: tail unit fitting tips Reply with quote

jack_zxr400 wrote:
JASCAN3 wrote:

just buy a newer hornet xD

hi mate i probably should have bought a newer hornet just dont fancy spending another 3 grand plus on one as the 98 ive got has only got 10k on the clock and its mint.just needs to be brought up to date as the bodywork looks dated

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body change from 98-03 isnt huge, well not from what i've observed XD
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a bit.

Headlight is different (and nicer), tail unit is much sharper, wider and looks a hell of a lot nicer, tank is bigger and shaped nicer, seat is shaped nicer, side panels are shaped nicer...

You sure you didn't compare a 98 bike to an 02 but registered in 03 bike? Confused

They are quite different...
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

Netting87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:33 - 16 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love hornets and this just makes it look even better! Great job Alun. Oh and keep it black ftw Thumbs Up

CBT 22-01-09 Passed - Theory 29-01-09 Passed - DAS 07-04-09 BRING IT ON!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 16 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Thumbs Up

Only thing that I think needs changing the is the exhaust link pipe. At the moment the can's still too low. If you got hold of an 03-06 link pipe it would fit much better. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3