Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki bandit GSF600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

real
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:12 - 12 Mar 2009    Post subject: Suzuki bandit GSF600 Reply with quote

Evening,

I am considering buying a cheap Suzuki Bandit GSF600 for my first bike as I passed my DAS a few weeks ago. I'm looking at the 1999-2000 models. As it is my first bike I am wary of buying one and being hit with big repairs.

Are there any common mechanical problems to look out for with this bike? Also as these models will have quite high milage are there any parts that should have been replaced after certain milage intervals.

Thanks in advance

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:19 - 12 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Engine wise they are tough and so should survive decent mileages.

However the finish is poor so they suffer badly if not kept clean.

All the best

Keith

mrsteko
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 12 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

There's no reason why you should have to buy one with high mileage, there are loads out there with low mileage at good prices. But as the man says, the engine is pretty much bullet proof.

Just look out for rust damage at the welds on the frame, this is an area that always suffers.

Stephen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:11 - 12 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collector box on exhaust rots due to it being made from mild steel.

Rear shock and forks gets a little soggy on high milage bikes.

If its got nissin front brake callipers the pistons can foul up pretty bad if not cleaned.

Check to see if the valve gaps have been checked recently.

And then there is the usual chain and sprocket, plugs and oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:22 - 12 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beast rider wrote:
Collector box on exhaust rots due to it being made from mild steel.

It is mainly stainless with just a short 2" quick rust section under the engine at the join to the link pipe. So watch out that 95% of it can look fine while one bit has rusted away.

All the best

Keith

real
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:57 - 12 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll make sure to check those areas.

I've been looking on autotrader and ebay and there aren't as many bikes for sale as I hoped. Especially as I'm only looking to spend about £1500 max. Ideally close to £1000. I know its quite a general question but what type of milage bikes do you think I should be looking at?

Other than the aforementioned and dealers are there any other websites or places I shoud be looking?

Originally I wanted a sports bike but came to the conclusion I wouldn't be able to get one in good enough condition or of modern appearance for that price.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:17 - 13 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a '96 Bandit 600 from a dealership for a grand. Had 30K on the clock. No running problems whatsoever, apart from the previous eedjit owner had over-torqued the sump bolt, meaning it had to be re-cut.
Other than that, it's just been a case of me getting used to the various sounds a 600 I4 makes, in comparison to a 125 single. I was panicking about the valves being out, because I could hear a consistent click that matched the engine speed. Turns out that it was still a bit cold, is all. Be aware of the fact that it will take about 5-10 miles to war up properly, unlike a 125, which'll be warm(ish) by the end of the road.

Go over it, make sure all the bolts are appropriately tightened, too. It may not feel as buzzy, but it can still loosen bolts like you wouldn't believe.

Also, I'd say that it's worth getting a radiator/oil cooler cover, and a scottoiler - make sure you set it up right; those who complain about it spitting oil everywhere have probably still got it set to 'prime'. A HID light is worth it, too. If (like me) you're still fairly new to bigger bikes, then it won't do you any harm at all to be more visible, so as to help avoid any potential tangles with cages. Plus they last a shitload longer than normal filament bulbs.

If you go private, you should be able to get a better price, but I got a (short) warranty with it, too.

I really rate the bandit as a bike: it's a laugh to ride for us newbies, and it's really, really easy to take apart for servicing (changed a bunch of bits on it already).

real
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting- I didn't know you get a warranty with such a cheap bike.

Cheers

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:44 - 13 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends upon the dealer. Some of them, you've got to fight for it; others will usually come to some kind of agreement quite readily. I wouldn't expect or bother asking for a year's full warranty, though.
Incidentally, it helps if it's a fairly small dealership; bad reviews will hit them harder, so they tend to try and help the customer.

If you've got any mates that are older than you/have been in biking longer than you/ex-couriers, ask them about dealerships that they know or trust. Name-dropping may help shave a few quid off, too; if it's someone that's been buying from that dealership for years, having them go with you or saying they sent you will help improve the dealer's perception of you. You're not going to get a massive discount, but it'll up the charisma effect a bit.

snapperslappe...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:42 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil cooled and carbs FTW! Had my Bandit '98 for a few years, only bits of trouble have been:

Coils became porous and shorted out causing irratic engine problems when damp. Replaced them, no problems since.

Rear sus rotted a while ago (bike used all winter though) so got stock replacement. (quite an easy fix t.h.b)

..... and thats it really! Everything else has just been consumables that are needed with all other bikes.

The finish on the frame is shit, the bike is stupidly heavy and you get no wind protection, but who cares? Top bikes.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:14 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to that. I'm going to be converting my S version to a naked, purely because of Suzuki's laughable attempts at wind protection. It's actually worse than an unfaired bike, believe it or not.
Fantastic bike, though: I'm glad it's so damn heavy, because I went on the M25 with it for the first time last weekend, and I got blown halfway across a lane: I dread to think what would've happened if I'd bought some lightweight sports thing; I'd have been under something van-shaped, I'm sure.
I think my only honest complaint would be fuel consumption; of course, I've just migrated forma single to a four, so there's no real cause for concern, just a lack of logical foresight on my part.

I'm going to be repainting my frame and bodywork some time in the next two months, so I'm hoping that'll sort out the crappy finish (or at least put off any major corrosion for a while yet). Red frame, black tank, minimal plastics. Possibly digital clocks. Depends on how rich I'm feeling at the time.

On a side note, does anyone else's speedo cable click? If it's a knackered bearing on mine, then I'll replace it, but I can hear it click once it reaches a certain point in the wheel revolution. Not a major worry, just wondering if it's supposed to do that or not.

snapperslappe...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:01 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up red frame, black tank and plastics sound ace!! I was thinking about this the other day, maybe a matt black?

When/if you paint it stick some pictures up please, i will probs. follow suit.

P.s. to the OP, are you needing restriction on this bike? If so, drop me a PM.

Wink

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:34 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got myself a Bandit 600, 1999 model.

I've had similar problems as others have mentioned.

The collector box was rusty as fuck on mine. One day i went down a pot hole and it snapped. Took the bike to a welders though and they cleaned it up and welded it all back together for £35.

Mine had a few rusty patches, mainly around join welds. I bought some paint from banditmania.co.uk and painted over the rusty bits. Looks much better now.

Be sure to check out the oil cooler pipes too, the two thinish ones either side of the oil cooler. They also rust to fuck.

I've had a few more problems with it, most being little things like replacing cables.

I'm not sure if this is the same with other Bandit owners, but i really do have to use decent engine oil. I've tried using cheaper oil once and it didn't like it one bit (clutch plates felt like they were slipping, gear lever became very stiff). I had it serviced recently, and the guy used different oil than i do, and the same symptoms happened again. I changed the oil back to Castrol stuff and it was fine.

snapperslappe...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:01 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some Asda special 10/40 last oil change and got similar symptoms.... back on the Rock oil semi synth stuff now and all is fine. Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. That might explain why I keep getting false shifts into neutral. Sporadic thing, but I keep finding myself in neutral, even though I exerted enough force to shift properly. I'm noticing that my left forearm is also getting a bit sore; might have to try some decent oil in there, then. The stuff that I just put in was from Tesco... Rolling Eyes

real
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:12 - 15 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

snapperslapper wrote:
P.s. to the OP, are you needing restriction on this bike?

No restriction required, thanks.

Mad-4-It
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:34 - 22 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a Suzuki Bandit 600 unfaired about 3 years ago, after I passed my test it has been slightly street fightered, is a lovely blue colour and I love it.

I am currently looking for Cooler pipes for it, but they are all so expensive, does any one know of where I may get some cheap one's? I have looked on all the various bidding sites but no joy.

Thanks
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 82 days between these two posts...

major danby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:52 - 14 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an issue on my bandit 600 1999 faired model. I replaced the speedo cable the other day and where it attaches at the wheel has worn away on one side so the speedo doesn't screw in any longer. I have botched it in with some wire for the time being but am worried that it won't get through an MOT as it is.
Is there any way to get this fixed without buying a whole unit?
will it have any trouble at MOT?
any advise would be greatly welcomed... Very Happy

GSF Jamie 600
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:24 - 14 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt the mot man will even know there a problem, at no point will he be looking inside it Confused
Aslong as it still gives you a realistic indication of speed it will be fine Thumbs Up

As for the bandit, as said you can definately get low mileage example for not much at all, i bought a 97 b6 in november with 8k on the clocks with every mot from new to verify the mileage for £1200 Thumbs Up

I love the thing, the only thing i would warn about is it is a very thirsty bike, but that doesn't really bother me as its just a toy so happy days Smile

Have fun Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:09 - 14 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Speedo isn't an MOT point (well, is in NI). Suspect a real fix will mean a new speedo drive unit.

All the best

Keith

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 14 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

major danby wrote:
I've got an issue on my bandit 600 1999 faired model. I replaced the speedo cable the other day and where it attaches at the wheel has worn away on one side so the speedo doesn't screw in any longer.

I broke mine by merrily riding off with the disclock on, but I fixed it like this, and it's still good today.

major danby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:07 - 15 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
major danby wrote:
I've got an issue on my bandit 600 1999 faired model. I replaced the speedo cable the other day and where it attaches at the wheel has worn away on one side so the speedo doesn't screw in any longer.

I broke mine by merrily riding off with the disclock on, but I fixed it like this, and it's still good today.

thanks man!! That looks like a lot of tricky fiddly work but i'll have a stab at it!!

thanks again Cool

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:37 - 12 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much roughly should I be prepared to pay for a 1999-2000 Bandit with 10-20k on the clock? I mean.. what would be a reasonable price?

woll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 12 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £1300 for a 1999 plate bandit with 15k on the clocks, although the oil seals had gone on the forks.

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:55 - 14 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

woll wrote:
I paid £1300 for a 1999 plate bandit with 15k on the clocks, although the oil seals had gone on the forks.

Not bad.. And for 2000 one I can get TPF&T insurance for 70 quid.

Considering my options for winter commuter.. Just the fact it's prone to rusting worries me a bit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2