Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GSXR 600 1998 (No electrical power at all)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

N345H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:03 - 19 Sep 2015    Post subject: Suzuki GSXR 600 1998 (No electrical power at all) Reply with quote

Ok, bike has been running perfectly. I got home and the wife wanted to "turn the bike around" so stupidly I let her. As she was turning at about 1mph the bike fell on the right side. It was on the ground for less than 1 minute but now, there is no electrical power what so ever, zilch.

Any sugestions besides divorce? Sick

Thanks

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kill switch?

fuse by the starter?

check all other fuses too

battery connected?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 19 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know Suzuki, take the driver's seat off and check everything is connected under there. I helped a lad with a SV650 last year, the wiring under the seat was a joke, and one connector shook out of it's socket.

He didn't even have to drop it to get no power, in the ON key position. Thumbs Up

EDIT: I think it was the wire to the main 30A fuse, but not sure. It should be near the battery. Thumbs Up

N345H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I will have a thorough check over tomorrow when it's day light.

Thanks again

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:47 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this model is fitted with a 'tip over' sensor, they are filled with the grease that is missing from everywhere else that actually needs it. Clean/reset/or remove. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:12 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tip-over only stops the engine, doesn't cut power to the bike.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

N345H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:10 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so, bike partialy stripped this morning. There are no obvious "loose" wires. I have checked that the battery is correctly fitted, all fuses are correct and not blown and as far as I can see no loose connections.

However, on further investigation, when turning my key to "On" I can hear a clicking noise coming from, what I presume to be the "Turn Signal Relay". Would this cause No Power?

Many thanks

Update
*Took out turn signal relay, give it a friendly tap, replaced it and I got "some" power to the dash then went dead again*

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd, was the wiring factory stock, before it happened?

N345H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:18 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
That is odd, was the wiring factory stock, before it happened?

Yes, everything is stock

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for any "cut" wires...

i was suffering form electrical issues the other week, turned out my tank had cut into the main loom an was shorting its self out

if it was a short, i would expect you to be popping fuses though

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then I'd just disconnect every wire and clean the connectors properly. If that won't help, then I'd check the whole frame and check the earth points are intact. I'd also check if I get DC current somewhere else but on the battery terminals. All that, knowing the fuses and battery are alright.

This must be something silly, I can't imagine dropping a motorcycle would damage something essential. Confused

Did you find the main fuse? It should be 30A, not sure, it's the one right before the starter solenoid. That's the fuse that lets the current from the battery to your whole motorcycle. Disconnect the connector and fuse and clean it there. I could as simple as that.

This is where the main fuse is (very close to the battery, since there's very high Amperage during the starting procedure): If you get DC current past this point, move on, and on and on, until you get to the ignition switch barrel, where a loose wire could also occur.
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16d,!zcE9s4g3h-5BQ6JhGU9Nw~~60_35.JPG

N345H
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:00 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, problem solved. I semi took the left side fairing off so I could get inside and look at the wireing running down there. Loose conection.
Something so small took nearly 2 hours + to rectify. Still, time for me to get out today before the rain kicks in.

Thanks ever so much for your help and input Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you, it was gonna be a silly thing. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1