Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YZF R125 airbox mod??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

KevShek
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: YZF R125 airbox mod?? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm sure I accidentally found a topic relating to the above but can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction pease?
Is there an ongoing threar regarding tips and tricks for this bike? Perhaps we could start a one for those who hav e done various things to help improve the bikes responce.
Thanks

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a quick google for you:

yzf forum wrote:
on the side where oil filter is located you have to remove the fairings, once this is done you wil see a pipe coming from the exhaust it conects to a little black box and you have to remove the 2 pipes running from it, then undo the 2 screws holding it together, and you will see a kind of diafram inside, i found a metal plate in there and was restricting the ammount of air going through it, so i adjusted the metal plateso the diafram opened fully to let more air into the airtake system. once all back together i tested it out and the results were not massive but very positive on respose and made it ride quicker than it was, and the top spped i had with oncoming wind was 85mph @10,000.
before doing this i was doing 83mph @10,500 rpm so allthough not massive but more responsive and a good find for everybody.
also removed the exhaust and there was not restricton on this apart from the cars, which when i get full system will make it even better.

Taken from This forum.

Could be a load of bollocks aswell as most people in that thread seem to be little chav's Laughing

(edit: you didn't get rid of the nsr for this did you? Shocked )

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:
Just done a quick google for you:

yzf forum wrote:
on the side where oil filter is located you have to remove the fairings, once this is done you wil see a pipe coming from the exhaust it conects to a little black box and you have to remove the 2 pipes running from it, then undo the 2 screws holding it together, and you will see a kind of diafram inside, i found a metal plate in there and was restricting the ammount of air going through it, so i adjusted the metal plateso the diafram opened fully to let more air into the airtake system. once all back together i tested it out and the results were not massive but very positive on respose and made it ride quicker than it was, and the top spped i had with oncoming wind was 85mph @10,000.
before doing this i was doing 83mph @10,500 rpm so allthough not massive but more responsive and a good find for everybody.
also removed the exhaust and there was not restricton on this apart from the cars, which when i get full system will make it even better.

Taken from This forum.

Could be a load of bollocks...

It's definitely bollocks as he says he got 2mph more top speed 500rpm lower Laughing

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

It's definitely bollocks as he says he got 2mph more top speed 500rpm lower Laughing

Someone in that thread mentioned it doing 125mph aswell Laughing

KevShek
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on another forum about turbocharging! Using the worlds smallest turbo. Its about the size of a coke can. Tbh the bike simply isn't geared up for that even if you manage to fit one. It would be screaming its tats off!

KevShek
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive now had a chance to read that post now.
From what i can tell, its talking about the valve system which connects to the exhaust. Ive just had my bike back from 1st service and i asked about that box. I was told its an air circulation system, where air is taken from the airbox and piped out directly into the exhaust. When asked what the purpose was for, its so fresh air can bypass the engine, out into the exhaust, for a cleaner emission result.

So from what i can tell, modifying it wouldnt help the bikes performance.

I was also told that some aftermarket exhaust wont have that feed into the exhaust, so you would simple disconnect the rubber tube and blank it off anyways.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:31 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevShek wrote:
So from what i can tell, modifying it wouldnt help the bikes performance.

Getting rid of it can help slightly (and make it rather easier to get the fueling right), just don't expect large increases.

There are 2 reasons for similar systems. Either to feed fresh air into the exhaust and complete combustion, or to feed exhaust gases back into the engine to reduce combustion temperatures (reduces the emissions of oxides of nitrogen).

All the best

Keith

KevShek
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks keith, I've spoke to yamaha technical and they have confirmed that the purpose is to route fresh air into the exhaust system for a cleaner reading.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbocharging one of them would be a piece of cake. I started doing it for a guy but he got cold feet.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KevShek
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 23 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with the power commander application, I agree, it wouldn't be too hard. Plus using a bigger injector with the PC would be a breeze too. My only concern would be the oil feed abd return. On a bike engine, especially one I'm not familiar with, I wouldn't know where to start. Give me a car and I'd figure that out
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1