Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What insurance does everyone have and who with?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:52 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: What insurance does everyone have and who with? Reply with quote

I just renewed and was going to fully comprehensive but the excess was £600 and insurance for the year was £400 (which i dont have), so i went third party fire and theft for £296 with free protected no claims, able to ride other bikes, and excess of £200.
Im left now wondering whether i should have gone fully comprehensive and just got through to the end of the month without much money. What is everyone elses cover?
Cheers.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClaritys (MCL) £72 on the 07 hyosung GTR. Men always get stupid quotes, I was shopping around for insurance for a car the other way and for me a passat costs feck all to insure and they wont even insure my other half! I cant complain. Sorry.

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 11:12 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 quid on the diversion 600 Cool Fully comp with Church hill insurance I think.

Id never claim on the fully comp if I binned it, its not worth enough to bother losing my no claims!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yuri2085
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why get fully comp? If the cost of your bike isnt worth it?

Just get 3rd party i guess?

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike is with Carol Nash, its about £100 fully comp I think, thats with a £7k claim against me and no NCB. Yes, I'm showing my age!!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wizzzard
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went third party fire and theft with bennetts ( boo hiss. I know not well loved but they have always been spot on with me ). I was just going to go third party since my bikes not exactly worth a fortune but the added bonus of riding any bike swayed me. I think it only came to under 300 for a 1000cc

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 11:24 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuri2085 wrote:
Then why get fully comp? If the cost of your bike isnt worth it?

Just get 3rd party i guess?

Sometimes fully comp is cheaper than TPFT! In my case it was about a tenner cheaper so I opted for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yuri2085
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:

Sometimes fully comp is cheaper than TPFT! In my case it was about a tenner cheaper so I opted for that.

for real? :o well thats something i didnt know Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully comp, eBike, £96 I think. Up for renewal soon and another set of points have dropped off, so it should be a lot better this year.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:18 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

About £220 TPFT. Bandit 6 (not restricted), male living in london with 0 NCB (started riding last July, so nearly there). Not too bad, methinks.
I'm looking forward to it getting cheaper, though...

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPFT on the Kymco 125, £110. Would have had TPO if TPFT wasn't cheaper - bike isn't worth enough to warrant a claim.

Next bike will be determined by what its worth to me, but I'm trying to keep it cheap while I'm a new rider, so will probably aim cheap and get TPO/TPFT again.

Mal
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:29 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A total of £181 fully comp on the T'Cat and the FJR1300 through BikeTeam, £250 excess on both bikes, and taking into account I do about 18-20k miles per year on them I didn't think that was bad. Very Happy

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

£300 TPFT for the KTM 950 with 5 years NCB
£125 for the classic fully comp with no NCB

both with yamaha (shell for CIA)

Genital Giant
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:07 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bikesure underwritten by Ensign. Cheapest of the cheaps for me. Undercut the best of the rest by 50% on TPO. No complaints there
Smile

TheFoxyDuke
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:24 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
70 quid on the diversion 600 Cool Fully comp with Church hill insurance I think.

Id never claim on the fully comp if I binned it, its not worth enough to bother losing my no claims!

Yep. 3rd Party Only. Why pay for something you'll never use Confused

On the other hand, I've had TPFT quotes come out cheaper than TPO in the past. Guess it shows you're more concerned about your bike therefore more likely to be careful.

Still prone to getting shafted mind Crying or Very sad although this renewal not too bad - Simply Insurance £360 FC (£400 excess) 2005 Ducati S4R. 2yrs NCB.

FoxyD

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPO on the TZR through Bennetts Embarassed The policy runs out on the 5th June, I will not be renewing with them.

Amanda
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:27 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never go full comp, A. unless you have a massive off (bent frame) it's cheaper repairing it yourself and B.they tend to write off the bike if the plastics are fcuked putting up your premiums.

so this year my insurance was £72 on the fireblade tpff

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

19, 3 years NCB, 250 Honda Hornet, £118 third party fire and theft with Dial Direct, beat everyone on price hands down.

Genital Giant
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:41 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already received a quote from Carole Nash and after I got the quote from Bikesure, I rang Carole Nash back. They said they simply couldn't compete Shocked
Ordinarily I would've just gone with the first quote but it just goes to show you, it pays to shop around.
I saved £150. Not to be sneezed at.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my insurances are cheap, cos I'm old, had a licence for centuries, and ride/drive like a granny. The only thing that ramps it up is my dodgy Central London area for theftery, and parking it on the street.

I discovered yesterday that I have 5 years NCB when I thought I only had 4. I'm sure that makes no difference whatsoever, that NCB is just another way of the insurance companies making you think you're having a result when in fact they're still ripping you off left right and centre ... but I was pleased anyway.

I also discovered that I have a datatag on the GPZ, which I might have to look into, as it might make a difference at proper insurance time. It seems to be registered with someone who was a few owners back, but I might fill it out and see what comes back.

I was with Swinton - who are are cack, but they are the ones who have my records from years back, so I occasionally fall back on them as a last resort, my bike-riding having been so erratic in the last few years.

I'm relatively pleased with Jo's ebike suggestion, prolly stick with that until I get round to consolidating a proper package where I can ride any bike [with the owner's permission].

But I am the owner, so I give myself permission! Laughing

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.swinton.co.uk/motor/motorcycle/ for me this year. £94 FC for my B1 ZX6R, protected ncb, ride other bikes etc.
Got a quote for a Honda Blackbird last week, £110 fc. Shocked Mr. Green

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 13:54 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about £300 TPFT on the CBR600, 2 NCB, but a recent claim, and not a great area. And 22. With bennetts I think.

Gaz

thewildblue
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:04 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully comp £550, 250 excess, 7 years NCB, passed test in 1995....age 32

2 bikes on there, 58 plate ZX10R and 09 plate Versys....on with Carole Nash.

I was paying around 300 for a ZX7R,KTM Duke 2 and a CBR400 all on one policy prior to that.

Its the bloody 10R that whacks the premium up.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPO £130 on the gs125 as I am 17. tpft and fully comp are £400+

Red Mick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplest thing to do is go on MCN compare website, and/or confused.com.

There, you can tailor a policy to suit your needs and alter criteria like TPTFT or Comp., different excesses etc.

IMO not worth going to agents as the route through comparison sites gives better prices than going direct.

Different insurers target different customers, so one man's cheap quote would be another's dearer quote. E-bike for instance quoted me more than double the best quote this year.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2