Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The law and visors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 23:58 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: The law and visors Reply with quote

Evening boys and girls.

Mum and dad have agreed to pay for my DAS and test for my 21st Birthday present despite the fact they're pretty adamant against me actually getting a bike but hey ho.

Anyway I managed to leave my clear visor in Dubai when I left at the end of Easter and I called up Rob Reed motorcycle training (did my CBT with him, top guy Thumbs Up) to ask about my DAS and my visor. Explained I only had my iridium visor and he said best case scenario; I get pulled over and a slap on the wrist. Worst case scenario being I have an accident and the insurance is null and void.

Can anyone confirm that, if I have a crash the insurance is void?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:01 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds a bit unlikely to me

but its not going to kill you to get a clear visor, it might create a better impression

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Re: The law and visors Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:

Can anyone confirm that, if I have a crash the insurance is void?

Depends if it was a contributing factor of the accident (wearing it while raining or overcast/dark). It wouldn't be null and void anyway they have to provide third party cover as minimum by law anyway, but they can claim costs back if it is deemed the visor caused you to have an accident.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 00:21 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
but its not going to kill you to get a clear visor, it might create a better impression

I've got one, just 4000 miles away. Folks are going to bring it back at the end of June but I'd rather get my license and test done asap Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input Finglonga, I'll have to think about whether or not I want to chance it I guess then.

Ade
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:29 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more worried about if the instructor will even allow you out if he sees the visor mate Sad

When I did my DAS he checked the bike over to make sure it was road legal, as well as the stamp on the helmet. Guess it's going to depend on who you get though Smile

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:07 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
I've got one, just 4000 miles away. Folks are going to bring it back at the end of June but I'd rather get my license and test done asap Thumbs Up

Er we do have things called shops where you can purchase a new clear visor.... In the UK, or failing that plenty of online shops....

Don't be daft, just get a spare bought.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the sake... of £20...
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the training school has got lids that you can borrow? Either that or go and buy a cheapo lid for £30 to use for the test. That way you've got a spare lid, or one for pillions.

When I took my test I used a visor instead of the goggles I usually wear, as my instructor said that they're technically not road legal. She said that although they're unlikely to be that picky, if the examiner's in a bad mood then it's something they could pick up on.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:35 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Tend to agree with Ade. If you do your test with that on there is a fair chance the examiner will refuse it and cancel the test.

Also if the helmet and visors are from Dubai there is a good chance that they are not UK legal anyway. Which could again result in the test being cancelled.

All the best

Keith

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not get someone to post it over?

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 03:41 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, the helmet is an AGV GP Pro and although it hasn't got the gold stamp on it would pass the safety test they're put through otherwise the helmets wouldn't be sold on the UK market. Didn't have a problem when I did my CBT a few months back.

Not too sure on the legality of the visor at all, it has 'For daytime use only' written across the top so I would of assumed it's OK if I'm using it during the day?

Matt, hadn't really thought about that as an option, not sure how much it would be to courier it back here, will have to call my Dad tomorrow and check. Ah well, if all else fails I'll just have to wait.

bob a
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:25 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only speak for north of the border.

If we stop anyone during the day with a tinted visor and they can proove to us they have a clear visor on them for changing in dark hours then nothing is done. I know cops who go out with the tinted visor but have the clear on in a bum bag or the top box.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Keith, the helmet is an AGV GP Pro and although it hasn't got the gold stamp on it would pass the safety test they're put through otherwise the helmets wouldn't be sold on the UK market. Didn't have a problem when I did my CBT a few months back.

Not too sure on the legality of the visor at all, it has 'For daytime use only' written across the top so I would of assumed it's OK if I'm using it during the day?

That daytime use only bit makes it illegal on UK roads as it's not got an ECE stamp.

And although the helmet may be called the same thing the shell could be different. For example the Shoei Raid II is called the Radi II in America, but has a different shell for the SNELL test IIRC.

Unless it's E marked you can't use it.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the GP pro visor the same as the K3? We've got a spare lid in work and I reckon I'd have no problem with letting you borrow it's visor for a few days, the locking mechanism's a bit suspect but I think that's the fault of the lid itself, not the visor. I am still in Plymouth mind so you probably won't save much once you take petrol into account.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris, you are honestly the stingiest person i know.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:48 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't let you take it. On my second day's training i forgot to change my visor back and ended up having to use one of there nasty sweaty helmets.

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue is that the tester won't let you out with it. Insurance is a non-issue (I'm not going over it again, but all this 'your insurance will be void if you don't do x' bollocks annoys me immensely)

For the sake of £20-30 for a new visor/cheap lid, its a no-brainer (especially since you won't get the £80 test fee refunded when they refuse to take you out)

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructer specifically told me to NOT wear my dark visor on training. Because he knew i lived around the corner, he told me to go home and swap it for the clear visor. I was back within 5 minutes. I know some visors come with irridium road legal tints as standard (certain AGV's and suomy range toppers). That said Chris, get a clear one off race visors and you get a handy bumbag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

benjami
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:06 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my test and training with a blacked out visor Confused

Nothing was said about it... Or the kids I almost ran over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:19 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Keith, the helmet is an AGV GP Pro and although it hasn't got the gold stamp on it would pass the safety test they're put through otherwise the helmets wouldn't be sold on the UK market.

Irrelevant from the legal point of view (as is the gold stamp). Requires either the relevant BS stamp or the relevant E mark to be legal (same for the visor).

quacker_boy wrote:
Didn't have a problem when I did my CBT a few months back.

CBT is done by a training school, test is done by a government employed civil servant. They will refuse tests for some odd reasons, such as not being able to prove a sports 125 2 stroke is restricted (it may be, but they want proof) or the speedo being in kmh. A helmet and / or visor that is clearly not UK legal is probably far more likely to get them to refuse a test.

quacker_boy wrote:

Legal tints are only legal in the day, and they are barely noticeable. Either way it requires the stamps to show that it has passed the tests to be UK legal.

All the best

Keith

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 19:11 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I'm close to doing a Hetzer style post and going on about the Nazi government that runs the country, but I got smashed last night and I've been at work all day so ergo I can't be bothered.

Think I'm just going to go the whole nine yards now anyway and buy a new lid, always fancied a Shoei XR1000 after trying one on at the NEC Drooling

Thanks a lot for the info Keith and everyone else Thumbs Up

Would I get away with using the GP Pro as a track helmet? Just out of curiosity...

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been stopped for my visor or helmet, both of which are as illegal as they get. Laughing

However, they wouldn't let me take my test with my helmet as it is Snell standard, not BS/ACU or w/e. Even with a clear (though still illegal) visor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Would I get away with using the GP Pro as a track helmet? Just out of curiosity...

Depends if they noticed. While technically not allowed by most track day organisers, most wouldn't notice.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1